more and more canadians identify themselves as conservatives!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dinaluvsApple, Mar 16, 2010.

1. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

from a liberal newpaper btw

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...lues-shifting-to-the-right-poll-suggests?bn=1

The left is a very lonely place!

TTAWA—The Canadian political “centre” is shifting to the right, a new national poll suggests.

A Harris-Decima survey for the Manning Centre, says Canadians who identify themselves as in the centre of the political ideological scale are increasingly embracing traditionally “conservative” values.

Those include the “supremacy of the family,” an incremental approach to resolving problems, the definition of marriage and that abortion is “morally wrong.”

In reality, few identify outright as on the left.

“The left is a very lonely place to be right now in Canada,” said Turcotte.

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Do you know of anyone on the left who doesn't believe in family? Most on the left support education, providing maternity leave, healthcare for children, etc... all things that support a family. Who doesnt' support family? That's just a silly poll question.

Also, name one person who is pro-choice but things abortion is "morally right." That's also a silly question. No one likes abortion, or thinks it is morally right, but there is a big difference between disliking something and taking away a woman's right to choose for herself.
    (edit)
    What if the poll questions were, "Do you think families should do everything possible to care for their children?" and "Do you think government should make your choice for you?"

If those were the questions, I guarantee you most people would say yes and no, thus supporting the position that a most people were for providing health care for children and against any restrictions on abortion. It's all how you word your poll.

3. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

research harris decima, they aren't some partisan hack polling group. they are very unbiased and highly respected.

you simply dont like the results of the survey, so your whining.

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm not whining, and I could care less about the poll, but the questions are loaded. Ask the most liberal people you know if they think abortion is morally right or if they support family values, and most will say yes.

I don't doubt that there are other questions in the poll that are more specific, and may support the conclusion that people in Canada are leaning more to the right, but you didn't post those.

(edit)

Maybe you didn't like the rest of the poll.

Is seems the Canadian definition of conservative is different than the US/GOP definition.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey OP- ever been to Canada? It's not the "USA" of the North. The word "conservative" does not mean what it means here. If you met a Canadian conservative, you'd probably run away screaming "It's a librool!" I'm quite serious.

And who's against the family? Who?

I notice you left this out of your OP:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...lues-shifting-to-the-right-poll-suggests?bn=1

That's quite against what an American conservative believes, so I see why you left it out. Didn't fit your agenda. Actually, you might want to read the rest of that article. I'm afraid you'll be deeply disappointed.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

A Canadian conservative would not be welcome in the republican party. They would more likely be aligned with the blue dog Democrats such as Ben Nelson and Max Baucus. Hell, maybe even a bit to the left of them.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Our left here is very left. Our right is in the middle but both of those are stereotypes really. I think you'll find many Canadians are social liberals and fiscal conservatives.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

9. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

The thread title is misleading and the OP has misunderstood what little facts or content were there in the first place. That is more typical of American conservative debate tactics than that of Canadian conservatives in my past experience.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Many American conservatives care little for the facts, as they rarely support their positions.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Depressingly true, unfortunately.

Cheers

12. No1451 macrumors 6502

Ain't that the truth, our parties are a great deal different than your parties down there.