More Awesome Repression From Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gibbz, May 14, 2012.

1. gibbz macrumors 68030

As a lifelong Oklahoman, I have grown accustomed to repressive policies and ideals. Let's add another to the list today.

Rep. James Lankford (R) thinks it is appropriate to fire someone based on their sexual orientation:
    As the article goes on to state, and what reasonable people know, homosexuality is not a choice. Don't take my word. Read statements from the American Medical Society, American Academy of Pediatrics, or the American Psychological Association.

Even though I have grown accustomed to such thinking in this state, it saddens me that we are again the face of those who wish to deter social equality and justice. For shame.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

These people are crazy. I don't know how else to explain it.

3. gibbz thread starter macrumors 68030

It would seem our State continues to prove you right.

More great news from Oklahoma today. Our state annually pulls up the rear when it comes to national health and education rankings. So naturally we spend tax-payer dollars in order to symbolically reaffirm divisive things that are already law - and with only two weeks left in the legislative session. I can't believe this nonsense.

Link.

4. citizenzen Suspended

It doesn't matter if it's a choice or not.

We let people make all kinds of choices.

There must be some compelling reason why people should be punished for making this particular choice.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Exactly. Religion for instance, is very much a choice. You can pick a certain one, you can change it anytime as people often do. You can start going to church, or stop going at anytime. Many choose no religion at all. Yet we still protect that choice of religion in a variety of ways.

And yet we don't protect the thing that is not a choice. It's crazy. And upside down logic.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It isnt a choice for me to be straight, so I can only assume gays feel the same way. You cant really control what you are attracted to.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

More importantly, you cannot control whom you are attracted to. You can decide not to become involved for whatever reason, but the underlying attraction is undeniable.