More Brexit Woes - Maltesers Price Rises and Shrinks by 15%

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zedcars, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Zedcars macrumors 6502

Zedcars

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. cube macrumors G5

The NHS should save money with people eating less confectionery.

4. Zedcars thread starter macrumors 6502

Zedcars

I guess that might solve it then. Thanks lol

5. unlinked macrumors 6502a

"In recent years the firm has come under fire for reducing the size of Mars and Snickers bars."

How many years has the UK been leaving the EU?

6. Zedcars thread starter macrumors 6502

Zedcars

Your logic is faultless. Yep, no connection then as clearly they've done it before, so no further financial stresses could possibly be the reason. :rolleyes:

7. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Been happening in the United States for years.

8. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Lets just say while I have seen companies blame currency fluctuations for things getting smaller I have never heard of things getting bigger when the currency fluctuates the other direction.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I will say this: Smaller package size or otherwise, in general the quality, flavor, variety, and availability of candy (sweets) in the UK is far superior to what is generally available here in the US.

I seem to remember buying a full-size Cadburys chocolate bar for about £1 - or $1.30. A bar of similar size and quality in the states costs at least twice that, when you can find them.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Yep. I was going to say coffee was the first one I noticed. Here's an article explaining it.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Brexit must have occurred in the US as well over the past few decades. I still remember when they reduced the size of snickers bars, a king size today was about the size of a regular candy bar back then.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I have to agree and no offence to the good Americans here but your chocolate is pretty awful in comparison to British or even Belgian or Swiss chocolate. They've recently started selling Hershey's chocolate in the international aisle of my local supermarket with an inflated price. It tastes yuck I'm afraid to say.

13. Zedcars thread starter macrumors 6502

Zedcars

Agreed. If you start typing "Hershey's tastes like" into Google, the top auto suggestion will be "vomit"! I've tried it and indeed it does taste like sick.

14. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Go done to your local harbor and throw all the tea you can find into the water. I hear they really don't like that!

15. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Fair due. It is nasty, but it's nasty for a reason. Hershey was forced to use less than fresh milk when it started out and even during the wars. They developed their own process to make the milk viable for candy making. As a side effect, it makes something called butyric acid which gives it that flavor. A lot of domestic companies at the time and throughout the 1970s began adding the acid to their confectionery to mimic the chocolate Americans liked. Butyric acid is also a component of vomit, henceforth the reason most associate most American chocolate with vomit. The issue is even more confusing when you consider that whole cream (whole milk for us Americans) tastes wildly different in American than it does in say Scotland, England or Ireland. And that will taste different in Germany, France, Italy, etc. which also tastes different in east Europe, but I digress.

Good domestic chocolate is easier to find these days. Chocolate that following European guidelines, that is, but it's still fairly expensive. I've always said chocolate is an indulgence and should be treated as such; get the best you can.

Maltesers are awful. I never liked them as a child and certainly hate them now. On the other hand, I adore good handmade seafoam/cinder toffee covered in good chocolate. I love good licorice allsorts too, but I really love real licorice, which is very hard to find these days. Very few companies make the stuff. Thankfully the Nords do it the old fashioned way.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

17. ForkHandles macrumors regular

ForkHandles

Technically their costs haven't changed, they buy their chocolate in Euros which aren't far off last years values.

The fall in the GBPUSD means that Mars is making less profit when sending their cash back home. It is doubtful that they would even be sending it home its that low.

This is just another excuse of course to raise prices.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Man, you know you've reached a tipping point as a society when people bitch about their artery clogging, diabetes provoking, fat layer inducing foods are getting reduced in size as a bad thing.

19. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

True, our chocolate is awful. Quantity and cheapness over quality.

I also don't understand why us Americans think chocolate should be diluted with fluid secreted from the mammary glands of bovines. The whole concept is horrifying.

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

By all accounts it looks like the prices of fruit and veg will go up too :(

21. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I changed the order to more accurately reflect the quality. No offence.

22. daflake macrumors 6502a

As an expat, I totally agree! I hate American chocolate, it is a tasteless mass of sugar. I much prefer the chocolate that you can get here in Germany. :)