Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Mercury News reports that Napster will be resurrected by their new owners -- Roxio.

Roxio is planning on releasing Napster 2.0 by Christmas. The new music service will be legal and have the backing of the five major labels as well as independent labels. Their plan is to launch with 500,000 tracks -- with the bulk of the additional tracks being made up from the indepdendent labels and artists. It is unclear, however, what usage rights will be provided with the songs.

The article notes that they are working on liberalizing usage rights for users -- but no final details are yet available. The new service does intend to provide some added flexibility -- with both subscription based as well as al la carte download services.

With five months until Christmas, however, the digital music landscape could change dramatically. Apple's iTunes for Windows is also due to appear by year's end.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
Failure

Roxio is banking on the fact that Napster is a household name. I'm sure a lot of people will check it out, but by first glance will turned off, becuase no matter what they do, it will never be as good as the origional napster, or as iTMS.

Oh yea, that joke in The Italian Job about the 'real napster' was really funny.

--Waluigi

Comment

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I'm surprised the big labels were prepared to back Napster after their previous "illegal" setup! They must have said all the right things!

Comment

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Holy toledo! You youngin's may think this is "about time" and may not even know what a phonograph record is, but to me, at least, I never thought I'd see the "shopping for music" landscape change so dramatically.

Those days of whiling away a few hours at the local Tower Record store flipping through phonograph albums...then seeing those "compact disc" things start to encroach upon the records little by little...then taken over completely, and now this...all just may become a memory someday. I know Tower has been bleeding red ink for a few years now...will brick and mortar venues for music become a thing of the past?

Indeed, with Apple leading the pack (as usual) we're seeing history in the making. Amazing times.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
well - napster is under new ownership.

Really the name is the only thing the same I think.

I think one big variable that will play a factor is -- will Napter's service require a software download? i think that may be a hurdle.

Much like iTunes for Windows may be a hurdle for people to download - vs.. just go to a website.

arn

Comment

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Damn, 500,000 songs. the itunes store only had 250,000 when it launched. The name "Napster" will effect the sales of this a lot. Cause it was so popular in the day when that was the only p2p out there.

Comment

tazznb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New Jersey
Time will tell...

I hope Apple comes out on top. I won't make a prediction one way or another.

Something to chew on; The RIAA is pushing all the competition now seeing how successful ITMS is, and EVERYTIME a song is sold (Whether it be ITMS, buymusic.com[they should rename it to leasemusic.com]) you know who gets a cut; The RIAA! (those bastards have Apple to thank for saving their sorry asses).:eek:

Comment

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Whew... iMHO... unless Apple ships iTunes by, say, September, and it's really great, and gets a lot of word-of-mouth by dissatisfied buymusic customers... their little foray into music sales may have it's days numbered... The napster name recognition will give it an instant huge advantage...

i'm *really* hoping apple has some tricks up it's sleeve here... i cannot believe they would stick iTMS for mac out there so far ahead of a windows version, just to spur on early competition... It's my theory that they've just given that to draw off their competitors onto a longer timetable, and they'll be releasing iTMS for windows very shortly...

time will tell...

pnw

Comment

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Apple's got to get ITMS for Windows out before the x-mas shopping season. That way it could get some good press to go along with iPod sales.
I think they'll do it and I'm not too worried about this Napster thing.

Comment

sacrilicious

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2003
Portland, OR
Looks like all of these companies launching are going to be able to look at any problems with iTMS and improve on them. Apple was genius for launching first, and making it work, but the trick will be staying alive.

I don't see a software download as a real hassle, by the way; how were people stealing music before?

Comment

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
IMO, this new Napster effort will probably spell the end to Roxio. The management team at Roxio who thought this one up should probably start counting the days until they're gone and forgotten. Too bad, however, because Roxio's Toast is a pretty nice product. Maybe they'll spin Toast out into a separate company so that it can try to survive on its own.

As far as the 500,000 songs with all the major labels and independents, I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

sacrilicious

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2003
Portland, OR
As far as the 500,000 songs with all the major labels and independents, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'd sign on with Napster if I were a record company. As has been mentioned here, Napster 2.0 will have an enormous advantage because the original Napster was so widely used and discussed.

Comment

mislabeledstar

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
Los Angeles
It's kind of funny to see record labels running along side what used to be their biggest enemy. I know napster is completely different in this state, it's just ironic.

Comment

boobers

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
But!

Originally posted by arn
well - napster is under new ownership.

Really the name is the only thing the same I think.

I think one big variable that will play a factor is -- will Napter's service require a software download? i think that may be a hurdle.

Much like iTunes for Windows may be a hurdle for people to download - vs.. just go to a website.

arn

iTunes is one of the best (if not the best!) Mp3 player/library there is. So to download a free Mp3 player/library that your mac buddies are using with a common sense interface..think about how easy the search engine is in itunes..PC users drool over that. The will have that itunes music store in PC's across the world in no time.

'scuse the ramble but i just chatted a PC friend up who loves itunes.
iTunes = incentive

Comment

MhzDoesMatter

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Is everyone asleep?

Originally posted by AHDuke99
Damn, 500,000 songs. the itunes store only had 250,000 when it launched.

But how many do they have now. It's not as easy when you're the first. iTunes had 250 mainstream songs at launch. I'm thinking their catalog has grown and they're not including indies yet.

Originally posted by paulwhannel
i'm *really* hoping apple has some tricks up it's sleeve here... i cannot believe they would stick iTMS for mac out there so far ahead of a windows version, just to spur on early competition... It's my theory that they've just given that to draw off their competitors onto a longer timetable, and they'll be releasing iTMS for windows very shortly...

Odds are, Apple the time period between announcing the Mac version and the tentative and unspecific release date had more to do with open ended negotiations with record companies than with any aspects of development. As we can see, of all the coming competition, the only one that's currently more than vaporware is a web based front end to a shoddy business model held together by far to restrictive DRM.

All these other "coming soon" services are probably still in the negotiation phases themselves over the amount of DRM required for a windows product. In fact, the smarter ones are probably waiting for Apple to make the headway in this area and piggyback off of their model much like they've already done with the concept of the iTMS itself. Odds are, Apple won't release the product if it doesn't contain the least amount of imposing DRM possible, and that's what's holding iTMS for WIN back.

Originally posted by fpnc
IMO, this new Napster effort will probably spell the end to Roxio. The management team at Roxio who thought this one up should probably start counting the days until they're gone and forgotten. Too bad, however, because Roxio's Toast is a pretty nice product. Maybe they'll spin Toast out into a separate company so that it can try to survive on its own.

Ok, are you high?

Music store's mean little to nothing to companies like Apple and Microsoft because their income is relatively miniscule compared to that of the main revenue making business activities. But to a company like Roxio, who's main revenue is the sale of software titles, software titles that are the industry standard for music CD mastering I might add, a music store like Napster II possible income is not only comparable to that of your other offerings, but the store itself would be synergistic in it's potential boosting of sales of Roxio's CD mastering products.

iTunes is free so far. On a mac, it only costs 9.99 for the entire process of buying, mixing, and burning. If Son of Napster doesn't include a light burning software, odds are, a large enough amount of people will buy Roxio software to burn CD's with. It's only slightly iPod sales skyrocketing after the iTMS debut.

Napster: The Return only has to be marginally successful amongst these new services to have been a worthwhile endeavor for Roxio. And I'm sure they can procure more than marginal success.

Originally posted by sacrilicious
I'd sign on with Napster if I were a record company. As has been mentioned here, Napster 2.0 will have an enormous advantage because the original Napster was so widely used and discussed.

I'm sure that will be the heaviest issue weighed in the upcoming iTMS vs Napster: Rise of the Machines battle. The press will probably go gaga over the resurrection of the once notorious file stealing service because Napster was a household name.

Apple's advantage? It can be a household name now. If iTMS was only marketed well enough to be today's napster, it would atleast be on equal footing before the showdown takes place.

-Hertz

I'm tired.

Comment

tex210

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2003
how I see it.

when this whole itunes music store thing happened, Apple said they had exclusive for one year right? At least I think that's what i heard. I felt then that the record labels were just using Apple to see if this model could work. When Jobs said they would have a version out by the end on the year, I thought to myself, "Self, those record companies are going to screw Apple like everyone else has. They are going to take this model, tweak it, and run to windows with it, forgetting who helped legalize music D/L's." I hope I'm wrong, but it just seems like it's all too easy for them now. If they have any kind of contract, it's about over. Then what? Apple will end up with one or two major labels, and hopefully a lot of indies. If any record labels leave Apple, they will NEVER see any of my money again. No matter the singer/group/star/act...whatever. Just as I would have bought Madonna's latest if it were there, but will never buy it because it's not.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: But!

Originally posted by boobers
iTunes is one of the best (if not the best!) Mp3 player/library there is. So to download a free Mp3 player/library that your mac buddies are using with a common sense interface..think about how easy the search engine is in itunes..PC users drool over that. The will have that itunes music store in PC's across the world in no time.

The problem is -- there are a lot of people who are used to their 'digital jukeboxes'.

Also - I'm not clear if iTunes will support Windows Media Files. If not, then any files you've bought off BuyMusic won't play.

arn

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If Napster works internationally, then I'll use it. Unless Apple gets international support first of course.

BTW, I sent off an email to BuyMusic, asking exactly why it was US users only, and how is downloading a song from the US any different from ordering a CD from the US? Their response was a generic "we only support US users". Yeah that's really helpful guys :rolleyes:

Comment

DeusOmnis

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I think Apple needs to get iTMS windows going in the next month or so. There are so many "Music Store" announcements that apple needs to make their footprint now if they want it to be significant.

Unfortunately, I'm sure that Apple needs to show, conclusively, that the downloaded music is not being pirated at all by the people downloading it, and that takes time. Windows iTMS may be poised to go now, but the EXTREMELY greedy recording industry is probably holding a leash on it.

Comment

rinnin

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
Windoze iTMS in September ??

I have a very strong feeling Apple will launch a worldwide iTMS service in September at MacWorld Paris. I mean how could they show their faces at a non-US MacWorld and promote the iTMS in a country where it's not available yet?! (-then again they could just say "coming soon....")
I'm guessing (hoping) there'll be a global Windoze and Mac version released within this timeframe :D or else Apple will loose out to the competition.
R:(

Comment

tazznb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New Jersey
Easy solution for Apple........

They could just outright buy Roxio , and then they'd have it all.

They just better move on it before M$ does.

Attachments

• y&y apple 2-small.jpg
    y&y apple 2-small.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 982
Comment

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Ok fess up who uses Kazza who uses tracks from kazza or others in i tunes who in there right mind is going to back somthing that has been away for so long. whos getting the best deal out of all this 5 LABELS AND A LOT OF SUITES THATS WHO. 99cent tracks 79cent tracks 1 million hits a month. who the f&^king hell is kidding who. Apple has kicked it off its up to apple to kick everyone down and away from this. I like so many others in the world that is not America no offence guys would like the store globaly if such a thing can happen if not i have an idea that might help.

As for this Riaa comment some one said think you got it right .......

Sabenth

Comment

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2003
Originally posted by Sabenth
Ok fess up who uses Kazza who uses tracks from kazza or others in i tunes who in there right mind is going to back somthing that has been away for so long. whos getting the best deal out of all this 5 LABELS AND A LOT OF SUITES THATS WHO. 99cent tracks 79cent tracks 1 million hits a month. who the f&^king hell is kidding who. Apple has kicked it off its up to apple to kick everyone down and away from this. I like so many others in the world that is not America no offence guys would like the store globaly if such a thing can happen if not i have an idea that might help.

As for this Riaa comment some one said think you got it right .......

Sabenth

English please, lol.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.