More conservatives on here lately?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Don't really get to visit the forums here as much as I used to, but the past couple of months Ive been checking in more frequently and it seems that there are more conservative/right leaning people on here compared to a few years ago...Anyone else here think this?

2. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Not necessarily more conservatives but they're definitely a lot more vocal about their positions.

Of course, these are the same people who would like you to believe the nation is "center-right" when the reality is that people behave and believe more towards the left.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just part of the ebb and flow of the forums. Years ago, PRSI was populated by mostly righties, then lefties and now the pendulum seems to have swung back again. Doesn't help that many long term lefties have been banned.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, this last point made by you has occurred to me, too.

5. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Like who?

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not allowed to discuss it.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

More conservatives? No. A few members "not as left leaning" maybe.

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

I don't think there's any more, maybe some are more vocal. Conservatives like Apple computers too :D

9. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Which might have something to do with the fact that for about 95% of the world population the US's definition of "left" is considered "right, but still partly sane":p

10. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Why is that?

(I hope asking the question didn't break any forum rules)

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

I've definitely noticed a swing to the right somewhat. Partially, I think it's because more articles are being posted on the main page leading to PRSI, which attracts eyes, and more people join the fray.

I also believe, as mentioned before, there do seem to have been several bannings/time-outs of left-leaning members. I have noticed a pattern for that, too, but I'm not about to discuss it here.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

A moderator could give an answer, but essentially they don't like for us to inquire about things that tend to violate another user's privacy. In other words, if you say something publicly on a forum open to the public, where the public can read it, but because moderation of that post happens behind the scenes, the user's privacy is held paramount.

tl;dr - they frown on us inquiring about others' moderation.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Does anyone know if there are new moderators or if there has been a change in who moderates this forum? I don't want to get into details of "things," but I am curious.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've heard a number of times that some years back the majority of members were conservative.

So there appears to be a normal ebb and flow.

But are there actually more conservative posts these days?

I hope so. Echo chambers are so boring.

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I also think that it is an ebb and flow.
    I also think that it mirrors the governments of the day, right of center government, leftwing dominate the forums because they don't feel heard, and when the left of center are the government, rightwing dominate for the same reason.
    It's the same over here in Europe.

16. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Excellent point!

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

I agree. I enjoy the back and forth banter that a mixture of opinions can bring. Even though I'm more liberal, I actually miss some of the more conservative posters who have been banned, such as fivepoint. Even if I rarely agreed with a single word he ever said, he always articulated his position and backed it up. This is much unlike others who just come in with a quick and presumptuous talking point, and leave it at that.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I agree completely. I really enjoy an open, good old fashioned, knock down, drag 'em out fight with someone that you disagree with. It's an arena of ideas... I miss fivepoint and inthenet and others... but I also miss guys like leekohler and others who now seem to all be missing.

While having a moderated forum has value, cutting people off after weeks, months and years of discussion seems odd. It's a good thing I'm not a moderator.

19. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

I didn't even know there was a PRSI till I saw it on the main.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That may be but I think the increase in due to the current debate on guns.

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yes. There was a bunch of new moderators named a short time ago. Things have gone downhill since.

22. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

"Downhill" is in the eye of the beholder.

23. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

There was interesting debate from both sides early on, but it's pointlessly going round in circles now. Not for me.

It's more of a death sentence in it's finality. It seems draconian to ban folks who have been good members for years. Folks who have - on the whole - behaved themselves and contributed their intelligence and perspectives here. OTOH, I can completely understand banning those who seem to have just joined the community to bait or provoke others into trouble.

And just in case the mods take this the wrong way, I think they do a great job. It can't be easy keeping this place as civilized as it is. Not many internet fora are nowadays.

24. chown33 macrumors 604

That makes no sense to me.

A member's account status is public knowledge. Anyone can see if someone else is Banned, In Time Out, etc.

A member's public posts are also public knowledge. Unless the banning removed all posts, then a banned member's past posts should provide some idea of their political stance.

Discussing a specific instance of moderation is forbidden, but I don't see how the fact of being banned could be, nor that banned member's remaining public posts. Some searching and a lot of reading of old posts violates no one's privacy, because it's using nothing but public information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.