More Couric-Palin insanity - Palin can't name Supreme Court case

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mike Teezie, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Even if you don't like her, that's painful to watch.

4. Xavier macrumors 68020

5. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Couric just sits there in total shock. I would love to hear the evening banter in the Couric home. :eek:

7. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

The other day I had a mild panic attack when it really dawned on me that she does actually have a chance of being VP... even just P.

That said, I still felt awkward for her while watching that.

And my panic attack just increased.

8. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

This woman is starting to p:ss me off bigtime.

I can list a few Supreme Court cases (off the top of my head, Bush v. Gore, NY Times v. Sullivan), I can list a few newspapers that I read online (NY Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal) and a couple that I don't (USA Today, LA Times). I've travelled to 18 different countries. I'm aware that the Earth revolves around the sun, that the Earth is much older than 4,000 years and that dinosaurs and man never co-existed.

I'm not in politics or business (I'm a sound designer), I never went to university, but more importantly, I'M NOT EVEN AN AMERICAN AND I'VE NEVER BEEN TO AMERICA.

How can this bimbo and her entourage have the audacity to even contemplate the notion that she might be ready to be commander-in-chief, when the average Belgian or Norwegian grade schooler knows more about America than she does?

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you can bypass how worrying that is, it was actually comical to watch :eek: :D Politics 101: Don't answer the question, just garble about something loosely related and maybe no one will notice....except for the fact that they obviously will and you'll look a right pillock :rolleyes:

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

did anyone else think of Miss South Carolina?

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children."

11. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Seth Meyers, head writer on SNL, must be eternally grateful... all he has to do is write down Palin quotes verbatim and have Tina Fey, the former head writer, reenact the interview to thunderous laughter. The 7-minute cold opening writes itself, so all he has to worry about is the remaining 53 minutes...

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

good god ... can anybody tell me why the republicans still have chance on winning ? it's far beyond ridiculous already

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

*squirm*
    If I saw a dumb animal suffering that much I'd put it out of its misery.

I just hope this scuppers any chance of the Republicans getting in for another (at least) 4 years…

14. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

IMO this answer was actually worse than both the bailout answer and the newspaper answer. Those two could be written off as nervousness, fear of exposing a rift between her and McCain, fear of namedropping one newspaper and forgetting another, or just a brain meltdown. But here, it's blatantly obvious that she just doesn't know and she's making a feeble and painful attempt at covering it up by talking as long as possible.

The worst case scenario is that Couric doesn't have any more clips where Palin looks this bad, and that Palin somehow manages to do a great job in the debate. I wish these interview snippets would have come out closer to the election. Maybe Palin bashing peaked too soon, maybe there will be a backlash.

15. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

CNN juxtaposed both Biden and Palin answering this same question to Couric from seperate interviews. I'm sure it will be up on YouTube soon...

You really get a taste of Bidens knoweledge and experience with this clip

16. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Well, yeah. He knows a lot. He's infamous for his gaffes, though, and occasional slip-ups like the one about FDR on TV in 1929. But Palin knows less about US politics than the average foreigner does, so basically Biden would have to suffer a brain hemorrhage in order to lose the debate on knowledge alone. Unfortunately this isn't Jeopardy, the beauty contest aspects are just as important.

Edit: The CNN clip you mentioned is available here, in a segment from Larry King Live:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/10/01/ec.debate.worries.cnn

(It's 24:30 into the clip)

17. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    The trade-off, is that Palin wouldn't know a Biden gaffe if it walked up and bit her. The FDR thing is way over her head. She's "folksy". That's her "strength". Biden could run circles around her, but its the post-debate discussion that will determine his biggest blunders. He'll just need to restrain himself if she makes any. No brownie points for whipping out the knives in this debate, unless you're Palin.

~ CB

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Biden's challenge (aside from not making gaffes of his own) will be to not sound so knowledgeable that he looks like he's showing off.

Seems like that's gonna be quite a task, considering who he's debating.

Actually I think several people have already made that analogy. But it's a worthy one.

20. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

I love your usage of the word "scuppers". It's an old British term with nautical origins. In this context it would mean to prevent from happening...or to sink if you like.

I am going to try and work "scupper" into some of my own conversation. Good stuff.

21. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

22. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

LOL. That is classic.
    :D:D:D

If only it weren't such a damn serious matter.
    :(:(

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Top 10 Things Overheard at Palin Debate Camp

10. "Let's practice your bewildered silence."

9. "Can you try saying 'yes' instead of 'you betcha'?"

8. "Hey, I can see Mexico from here!"

7. "Maybe we'll get lucky and there won't be any questions about Iraq, taxes or healthcare."

6. "We're screwed!"

5. "Can I just use that lipstick-pit bull thing again?"

4. "We have to wrap it up for the day -- McCain eats dinner at 4:30."

3. "Can we get Congress to bail us out of this debate?"

2. "John Edwards wants to know if you'd like some private tutoring in his van."

1. "Any way we can just get Tina Fey to do it?"

24. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

This should be dominating the airwaves, but the spineless media is so incredibly scared of looking left leaning, so they casually mention it, and then cut to the world's fattest man's wedding.

It is heartening yet simultaneously depressing that you aren't even American and you show an intellectual interest in our country - especially when you factor in all that FUD regarding you frriners that is the rage du jour amongst a shocking percentage of our populace.

It's depressing because people probably don't care that she can't name more than one Supreme Court case. Hell, most people can't name a single SC Justice.