More Definitive Answer On T-Mobile Unlocking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appledes7, Sep 9, 2014.

1. appledes7, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014

appledes7 macrumors 6502a

Talked to a T-Mobile rep and here is what I got.

EDIT: After talking to the agent some more, she confirmed what others have been saying. If I buy the phone full price from an Apple store online or retail, it will be unlocked from day 1. According to her, I will not be forced to purchase TMobile service, but if for whatever reason I am forced to, I can cancel it right away and get my money back. I am definitely buying the TMobile one now.

Attached Files:

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

The ones sold by T-Mobile at their stores will be locked to T-Mobile. The ones bought directly from Apple.com or the Apple Store are unlocked.

3. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Its so frustrating that these customer service reps are not using the same playbook. You ask one time its a unlocked, then you ask another time its locked.

----------

Can these unlocked ones be used on ATT?

4. Database macrumors member

If you buy the Tmobile one from Apple it will be unlocked. Period.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you buy from apple it will be unlocked. Since the majority of customers don't care about it being unlocked or not the sales reps are usually clueless when they are asked...

6. appledes7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

As I am talking to this rep more it does seem that you are correct.

7. sirghost macrumors member

To reiterate here. If you buy it form a t-mobile store or t-mobile.com it will be locked until it is paid off and has had at least 30 days of active service thru them with it. If you buy it form apple or apple.com it will be unlocked. Not sure what is confusing here other than the t-mobile reps assume you will be buying it directly form them.

8. appledes7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I talked to an Apple rep and TMobile rep and they gave me contradicting answers. The confusing part comes when no rep can give a clear/straight answer that is consistent with everyone else.

9. sirghost macrumors member

Well, as we all know, including the confusion in amongst forum members not all reps are properly informed as even the folks at apple will say the verizon model only works on verizon and do not all realize its unlocked and works on att and tmobile as well.

10. appledes7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here is the transcript:

Jennifer: Thank you for visiting T-Mobile today! How may I help you?
    You: If I buy the iPhone 6 Plus for TMobile at an Apple store at full price, will it come unlocked?
    Jennifer: All of our phones are exclusively locked for T-Mobile Services. However, you have the option to have it unlocked and to be able to unlocked it, the phone must be paid off first and must be activated with our service for at least a month.
    You: So I can't just buy the phone from an Apple store for TMobile when it comes out, put in my AT&T SIM for a couple weeks, and then switch over to TMobile?
    Jennifer: You purchase the phone directly from Apple Store have it unlocked and use it with our plans.
    You: So absolutely no way to have it unlocked for AT&T from day one? Even if I plan on switching within a couple weeks? For example once my contract is up?
    You: Even if I pay full price for it?
    Jennifer: You can have it unlocked on the day of purchase if you bough the phone directly from Apple Store. However, if in the event that you will be getting the phone from T-Mobile, you can unlocked it as long as the phone is paid off and activated with our service for at least 40 days.
    You: Just to clarify...
    You: September 19th, I walk into an Apple store, buy a brand new iPhone 6 Plus for T-Mobile and pay for it in full right then and there. Will I then be able to put in my AT&T SIM and have it work right away?
    Jennifer: yes!
    You: Is the same true if I buy it online through the Apple Store website?
    Jennifer: Yes!
    You: OK
    You: One more question
    You: If I buy a T-Mobile one on the Apple Website on day one, will I be forced to purchase T-Mobile cellular service when I order it?
    Jennifer: Not at all.
    You: So when I order it online through the Apple site, they will give me an option to do something similar to "sign up for service later"? Or how exactly will that work?
    Jennifer: I apologize, I no longer have the information with regard to Apple Site.
    You: Ok. But for sure if I buy online it will be unlocked from day one if I pay in full, correct?
    Jennifer: Yes that is correct!
    Jennifer: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
    You: If when I buy it I do have to sign up for service, I can cancel it right away and get my money back, correct?
    Jennifer: Yes!
    You: Awesome, that answers all my questions. Thank you for being so helpful!
    Jennifer: You are welcome! Please feel free to chat with us again should you have additional questions.
    Jennifer: Thank you for visiting T-Mobile.com today.

11. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

Tmobile reps are so incredibly hit or miss so I wouldn't go trusting them 100%. Having said that, if you buy full price from the apple store for either AT&T or tmobile, you theoretically should have an unlocked phone.