More EU iTMS Stores In October

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Eddie Cue, Apple's Vice President of Applications announced today Apple has plans to open new EU extensions of the iTMS in October. Speaking at the annual Popkomm convention in Berlin, Cue gave little details as to which areas of the EU would be receiving their own stores. With Italy and the Netherlands representing the two top-10 music markets in the EU currently without stores, they at least seem likely candidates. Cue also noted that file-sharing networks like KaZaA and WinMX make up the largest competition for the online music store, instead of other more legal options already available.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds like it won't be ALL European countries, which I know some people are (probably unreasonably) expecting. Even so, a welcome step towards expansion.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
Hooray! Not that I'm in Europe or anything and directly influenced by this, but still, hooray! Whatever's good for Apple is good for me, and the more iTMS, the better. I'm surprised to still see no Canada or Japan versions. I would think they would be a good market.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Its no secret that Apple would introduce iTMS to more Euro countries in October.. they actually did mention this months ago when iTMS was launched in UK, France and Germany.

Canada?

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
growth is good

Glad to see this news. There's also a common theme of why no mention of a Canada iTMS. Canada would actually require two stores.... an English one and a French one, by law, so right away the cost doubles for Apple, and I'm not so sure we have the market to support such a venture. It's too bad, because the rest of us loyal users get to suffer. Guess it's good that file-sharing isn't illegal here (that doesn't mean it's legal or right, though).

michelc

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2004
Bilingual store

Well take note that the Apple Store is not really bilingual but still operationnal. As for the ITMS the french portion is already available (France store) as well as the english store. I guess this is note what is holding up the store. Licensing should not be a problem also as other store are available....

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
The EU was announced at the UK, France, German store opening.

So where's Canada, Japan, and Australia? Those are the big places iTMS is missing right now.

stoid

macrumors 601
I understand why he says that P2P rather than legal alternatives are the main competition to online music stores.

I had a European roommate last year, and when I told him about the new online music store, he was baffled. He couldn't understand that anyone would pay to listen to music.

dekator

macrumors regular
May 18, 2002
Krautistan
stoid said:
I understand why he says that P2P rather than legal alternatives are the main competition to online music stores.

I had a European roommate last year, and when I told him about the new online music store, he was baffled. He couldn't understand that anyone would pay to listen to music.
Lol. Well, I think the p2p vs Store thing is true everywhere, not just in Europe or for Europeans. There are many people all over the world who wouldn't want to pay for their music, and there are many who would (just look at the download numbers). The big point is: In many countries you don't have access to online music stores, but you always have access to p2p. That's where they have to win ppl/customers from, because it's precisely the Internet-savvy, comfortable-with-downloading ppl they target.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
did i misunderstand the previous older talk about this topic? i was waiting for EU-wide music store to be opened this year, not just addition of few more countries...

iMan

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Trowaman said:
Doubtful, but those 60 GB drives got to go somewhere. . . who knows?

Toshiba already launched their own series of 60 giggers - in colorful models... :
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2004_09/pr2701.htm

But still - october is the "birthday" of Windows-iTMS... And with the obvious extension of the store in Europe, the lack of a high end pod and all - I say we are in for a little iTunes celebration soon :)
Maybe even an upgraded version... last major one happened a year ago, and since iTunes is still free it is likely to be kept outside the upgrade cycle of iLife.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
EU stinks. I want it in Norway!

All our neighbours are EU-members. I know Denmark will get it according to local news, and I'd guess Sweden gets is aswell. Then it's just Norway left.. and that, my friend, stinks!

Somehow all big american companies believe all the "rich" countries in Europe are EU-members. GAAARGHHH!!! :eek: :mad:

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
bring it on :) Sweden will surely boost sales...we have a loyal user base here - with high penetration of Internetusers...maybe not that noticable in sales though

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
I guess 8 and hope) the refer to the old 15 community, as the EU is now 25 countries, I don't think they could arrange for the whole region...
and I hope we can buy from only one place as they promised, just one store, no tricks no difference...

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I'd think they would go after the biggest markets... which is why I'm not surprised there isn't an iTMS in Canada... but then again, how big is the population in the UK, France, Germany, etc..? Japan, and China would be a huge market, but then again, all I hear coming out of Asian countries is how piracy as incredibly out of hand, so how many people would actually use it?

ottawaman

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
coolfactor said:
Glad to see this news. There's also a common theme of why no mention of a Canada iTMS. Canada would actually require two stores.... an English one and a French one, by law, so right away the cost doubles for Apple, and I'm not so sure we have the market to support such a venture. It's too bad, because the rest of us loyal users get to suffer. Guess it's good that file-sharing isn't illegal here (that doesn't mean it's legal or right, though).
Apple operates out of the US and, as far as I know, does not have to provide iTMS in both languages in Canada. The bilingual issue only applies to companies operating in, or offering services to, Quebec. Apple can easily offer the rest of Canada an English-only iTMS. Personally, I'd love to see it coming sooner rather than later! I believe the Canadian delay isn't really connected to the language issue. The extra tax/fee on blank CDs has probably complicated the negotiations somewhat...

kalashnicov

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2003
My father made some kinda promotion with Leo from Milka.
Ppl can probably win free songs when they buy the candy.
He said iTMS would be in belgium in october