More Fox Fake News

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Feb 28, 2017.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Not for the first time, a so-called "expert" appearing on Fox News opinion shows has been revealed as a fraud.

Billed as a Swedish "defense and national security advisor" a man calling himself Nils Bildt appeared several times on Bill O'Reilly's show to defend Donald Trump's wild claim's about criminal immigrants in Sweden.

The problem:

and

This guy is a fraud.

And Fox News doesn't even do the basic due diligence to check the references of people it bills on its shows as "experts."

Fox News has been filling the empty skuils of its viewers with nonsense like this for years. And we're all living with the consequences of that criminal lack of journalistic integrity.

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

The people who watch Fox News are beyond facts. They only want to hear opinions that they agree with and the legitimacy of the individual providing that opinion is irrelevant to them.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Well, let's just remember this (and have a laugh):

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

It sounds like the thread title should be fake expert giving opinions :).

5. niploteksi macrumors regular

It never ceases to surprise me how you can keep airing these complete fabrications about my country. I fully realise this has nothing to do with Sweden but are only propaganda used to scare people in the US and other countries.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2017 ---
    I mean seriously... "Nils Bildt"? Who the heck is that guy??? Hilarious...

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Except the "expert" says he told the producers at Fox that he was an independent analyst.

If that is true, then Fox chose to inflate his credentials.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I remember reading the Roger Ailes book that came out a few years ago. Apparently the title given to guests was always at the discretion of Ailes who would often just rephrase things to give a veneer of credibility to his shil- er, "guests" or "experts".

8. niploteksi, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

niploteksi macrumors regular

CNN had a piece the other day where they published "the truth about Sweden" and they interviewed some complete airhead about immigrants begging in the streets. The CNN reporter didn't even bother to find out that these "begging immigrants" are Romani from eastern Europe.

They talk about hand grenade attacks as if they were something done by refugees from the middle east when in fact they are executed by either Swedish motorcycle gang or maffia from eastern Europe.

The reason these refugees constitutes a problem in Swedish society is that they are poor and don't know the Swedish language. Thus their cultural and social capital falls way behind and the cost to society follows. These so called riots have nothing to do with Syrian refugees but are either started by Neo Nazis, anarchist or criminal and poor second generation immigrants.
    Taking in 1% of your population in refugees just because some countries goes around the world bombing the hell out of other countries is insane and I wish the rest of the world could either stop with the freaking wars or at least take in their fair share of people fleeing for their lives.

A lot of people in Sweden are tired of the amount of people we have to take into our system, but that's no excuse for people to spread lies to further their own cause in their own countries.

Please stop the screaming youtube teenagers pretending to be documentary filmers.

:)

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Pray, tell, what in the world is an "Islamic riot"? Are you saying a riot that is made up of mostly muslim people? How could you tell what religion they are by sight? Are they wearing some type of identifier? How are you distinguishing between people that are technically Muslim but don't actually practice?

Officially I could be considered a catholic (I was confirmed after all) but I believe it's a complete ********* fairytale, if I committed a crime would that crime be a catholic crime or an atheistic crime?

11. niploteksi macrumors regular

There are no Islamic riots in Sweden. Nor is Sweden the rape capital of Europe and there are no rape gangs roaming the streets.

But really, even if this annoys me, it's really the target audience that should be upset they are being lied to. You can report all you want about whatever you like and it's not going to make any difference. If you don't like muslims just say so and don't project your problems elsewhere.

I laugh when people compare the rioting in Sweden to the unrest in USA and the UK. It's all very hilarious, but I feel sorry for the sorry people who believe in this propaganda. I'm fully aware that whatever I say is not going to make any difference that play on these lies because the truth and objectivity does not matter to them. They are still stuck more than 2000 years back when the rhetoric of the Sophist Trumped objectivity and everything was measured in how well you could lie for your cause.

12. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

And things like this are exactly why I don't watch the "News" networks anymore and take written articles with a grain of salt. If there is one thing this past election has exposed, it is the media rushing to create stories with questionable truth and always with their political agenda in tow. Reality television has more integrity than "News" today.

13. kobalap macrumors 6502

True or false? Fox news puts on a Swedish official to speak about the state of things in Sweden and it turns out, he isn't a Swedish official.

Honest question.

14. niploteksi macrumors regular

That they didn't even bother to check him out is incredible.

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Gotta love news networks these days. Get anyone on who can fit your narrative. Networks leak debate questions to their "choice" candidate.

16. kobalap macrumors 6502

Well, the news networks are only part of the problem. For me, the bigger problem is the audience. We not only let media get away with this stuff, we defend them if media is framing a point that supports our political views. I mean, look at this reply where someone is trying to "defend" fox news by changing the topic:

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Don't get me wrong people are generally lazy and consume their news via Facebook without thinking twice about the source. But you watch these news shows and you instantly see their angle changes depending on who's in front of them and what party they belong to. There is nothing objective about their interviews.

18. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

This is video taken from the 2014 Keene, NH Pumpkin Festival.

I don't think anyone disputes the events shown actually took place.

But if I presented myself as an expert on US National Security, and went on Swedish TV to argue that American college students (and pumpkins) were a dangerous threat to the people of Stockholm - it would be "fake news."

Maybe that is a distinction too subtle for the sort of people who watch Fox News to understand.

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I was expecting at least one MF'er getting knocked out with a pumpkin, very disappointing.

20. niploteksi, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

niploteksi macrumors regular

Instead of making up news they could just report about the mothers who lose their children to ISIS recruiters. Isn't it bad enough we have Teenagers and young adults who go down to fight for ISIS? There are no need to make up pretend news, the real world is scary enough.

Extremism is worrisome whether it is extreme Islamism or if it's Neo Nazis or confused racist shooting immigrants in their homes.

Very few in Sweden pretend that we don't have problems with integration of our immigrants, but there are so many messed up things in society that there are no need to make stuff up. The cost of taking in refugees isn't something to take lightly or pretend doesn't exist. We are facing difficult times trying to fit all these people into our well-fare system and authorities are on their knees trying to accommodate everyone and give them opportunities to fit into society.

It's not true that there aren't programs taking care of these people and learning them Swedish, the system is just not equipped to take in the amount of people that has been pouring in since the middle east erupted in violence again.

But... even if we take in a lot of refugees, that's nothing compared to how bad it is on the south EU borders or in the Arabic countries. I think it a darn shame that the EU and the rest of the world can't come together and solve this mess.
    Now this isn't something I have looked for a source about and I'm mostly relying on media. But consider what these people from Syra and Iraq are running from. How would you have your daughter or wife in the hands of the IS? To be raped every day until they are dead. Have your sons beheaded or burnt alive just so the murdering lunatics can continue their crusade of violence.

Then from the other side they are being bomb by jets, cruise missiles and artillery.

One can talk and argue about whose fault this is but it's not like these people leave cause they don't like the sun.
    / end of rant :)

21. MarkusL macrumors 6502

I'm not going to visit the Gates of Vienna link because I don't like to generate ad money for neo-nazi sites, but if we're talking about the recent riots in Rinkeby I can let you know what statements the Swedish police has made.

Two police officers patrolling near Rinkeby's subway station approached two individuals suspected of possession of narcotics. During this interaction they by chance spot a kid of a kind every police officer in the area recognizes, seventeen years old with a seven year long arrest record, currently on the run from an institution in whose care he has been placed. They prioritize his arrest above the two pot smokers, and proceed with moving him to their patrol car. On the way to the car the fugitive's hangarounds and partners in crime start pelting the police offices with rocks. One of the officers draws and fires his weapon, and the officers retreat from the location in order to avoid having to keep shooting at the crowd. The gunshot was first misreported as a warning shot, but a police spokesman later clarified that it was meant to hit. It appears it did not hit anyone, since nothing turned up in a search of all hospitals in the city.

These circumstances do not appear to support any talk of an ideologic or religious background to the riots. The severity of this event is also rather unusual by Swedish standards. The average Swedish police officer will point his gun at a suspect once after one hundred years on the job. After a thousand years of active duty he will have fired it twice: Once as a warning shot, and one shot or salvo intended to hit a suspect.

The rarity of this kind of confrontation is also what causes most Swedes to find Trump's statements hilarious. An American politician offering advice about violent crime in Sweden is about as useful as if we were getting lectured by Russia on public health or by Zimbabwe about national economics. There is indeed a lesson to be learned from Sweden's experiences with refugees from the Middle East, and that lesson is that it's possible for a country to receive orders of magnitude more refugees per capita than the US does, and still have much less violent crime than the US has.

Consider for example that Södertälje, a town of 60 thousand people received twice as many Iraqi refugees during the height of the Iraq war as did the United States of America, a country of more than 300 million people. This did increase the incidence of both poverty and PTSD in Södertälje, but it's not a war zone as the likes of Trump and Wilders wants you to think.

And yes, both Wilders and Orban are full of ****.