More Funtionality for the Fingerprint Sensor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gatorknight904, Sep 23, 2013.

1. gatorknight904 macrumors 6502

gatorknight904

It would be nice to use the finger print sensor to return to my home screen instead of actually having to click the button.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Then anytime you touch the home button it would take you to your homescreen, no matter what you're doing. That would be terrible functionality.

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Really? You can't press a button? I'm not trying to sound mean but wow are we getting that lazy?

4. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Your finger is already on the button, just click it. Trust me it's not hard.

5. WilliamG macrumors G3

Agreed. I probably touch or rest my finger against the fingerprint sensor by mistake playing games or landscape surfing etc. Terrible idea!

6. SA Spyder macrumors regular

I think he just wants a capacitive home button. Tap sensor to go to home screen, hold down for fingerprint scan.

7. robin1989 macrumors member

robin1989

Yeah pressing a button is very easy. In terms of functionality I would like it if apps could utilise it so instead of having to remember my passwords etc for all my apps I could just pop my finger on.

8. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I hope that never happens.

9. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Lol too lazy to push a button?

The human race is going to be like the people in Wall-E where we all become obese and not even have to move.

10. gatorknight904 thread starter macrumors 6502

gatorknight904

Bingo. Plus it would eliminate home button defects like jamming that occur from time to time.

It has nothing to do with being lazy. More about getting the most out of features and capabilities. Think outside of the box people.

11. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

I agree, now that I've heard this I would also appreciate this functionality. Not actually using the fingerprint scanner, that's a waste of processing resources, but the button is already a capacitive button. A software update could make capacitive finger detection equivalent to button press. With an option to enable/disable this feature (disabled by default), obviously.

Maybe you don't want to wear out the home button as quickly. Maybe you're in a quiet environment (for example, there's a silent study area at my university) and you don't want to keep making clicks.

Or maybe capacitive buttons just feel good to use. It's more consistent with the overall interface, where you always touch and never apply pressure. The biggest user gains would be in places that require double clicks, which are much easier to execute on a capacitive button than a physical switch. In fact, with a capacitive button you can do triple clicks comfortably as well.

12. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

America is fast tracking to the future!