Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Has anyone seen the "HTC desire" yet?

It's basically a Nexus one with flash 10.1 support, an optical trackpad instead of trackball, and the HTC sense UI that was seen in the Hero (but with added benefits)... Apple is going to have to pull something special out the bag to stop me from getting that :D

HTC created the Nexus One, so they reserve the rights to reuse its hardware... which means it will have the same screen, which has excellent reviews.

HTC Desire

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Has anyone seen the "HTC desire" yet?

It's basically a Nexus one with flash 10.1 support, an optical trackpad instead of trackball, and the HTC sense UI that was seen in the Hero (but with added benefits)... Apple is going to have to pull something special out the bag to stop me from getting that :D

HTC created the Nexus One, so they reserve the rights to reuse its hardware... which means it will have the same screen, which has excellent reviews.

HTC Desire

If Apple expect to continue drawing in new users they need to do something major with the next iteration. I, on the other hand (and I'm sure others here can relate), am so used to the iPhone OS that no matter how good another company does it I'll probably still be using the iPhone.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If Apple expect to continue drawing in new users they need to do something major with the next iteration. I, on the other hand (and I'm sure others here can relate), am so used to the iPhone OS that no matter how good another company does it I'll probably still be using the iPhone.

I used the iPhone OS for ages, and I think it's a brilliant OS, but there are some restrictions that annoyed me to the point where I sold it. I can't live without multitasking or flash. Other missing features at the time were also MMS, forwarding/deleting messages and a few others.

The only real advantage the current iPhone has over other phones for me is the massive selection of apps. I know that Android has a lot of apps too, but they're not as high a quality as those for the iPhone app store.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Same here.
I expect some good software improvements on 4.0 like multitasking and hopefully some more advanced hardware on the new iphone.
No matter what hardware features other phones have the one major thing they're missing is the iPhone OS.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Same here.
I expect some good software improvements on 4.0 like multitasking and hopefully some more advanced hardware on the new iphone.
No matter what hardware features other phones have the one major thing they're missing is the iPhone OS.

HTC sense is like the iPhone OS on steroids. It has the brilliant kinetic scrolling, multiple home screens (with widget support!!!), a nice and organised settings panel, a slide to unlock screen, etc.

It also has all of the improvements that come with Android, like if you want to see your notifications, you just drag your finger down from the notification icons to bring a tray with clickable notifications in them. No intrusive modal popups to worry about!

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Looks like a good phone. I don't feel the that part on the bottom where it says phone, not my style. Besides that it looks good.

I'd probably still take the N1 if I had the choice.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Looks like a good phone. I don't feel the that part on the bottom where it says phone, not my style. Besides that it looks good.

I'd probably still take the N1 if I had the choice.

Yeah it's definitely not for everyone. I don't mind that bit.

One of the more impressive things they've built in is "leap" - it's like expose, which shows you all of your running applications and lets you switch to one. All you have to do is pinch on the homescreen.

Also, there's a "friendstream" widget/app which lets you see all updates from Facebook, Twitter and Flickr in one place. Can update your status on them too.

amon91

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2010
Honestly I think none of those phones will compete effectively against the iPhone, and that's a fact. The iPhone's marketshare has grown a lot. I think the reason is we haven't seen anything groundbreaking since the iPhone, which will remain maturing while competitors try to copy it but still fail to come out with anything as good for the majority of consumers.

To take over a market your product can't be just a little bit better, it has to be a lot better.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
If apple doesnt up its game hardware AND software wise next year I will be switching to some sort of android device..

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
Hmmm...this one looks very nice. I've been interested in switching for a phone with better Google integration (Google Voice, etc.).

EDIT: Especially if it can be run on Verizon.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
To take over a market your product can't be just a little bit better, it has to be a lot better.

Erm...hello???

3.7" AMOLED capacitive touchscreen.
5MP camera which shoots HD video + LED flash.
802.11n support.
More than twice the RAM of the 3GS.
1GHz snapdragon processor.
Multitasking.
Widgets.
Unobtrusive notifications (sliding tray that you drag down from top left hand corner of screen).
Integration with your social networking websites.

iPhone who? :eek:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Erm...hello???

802.11n support.
Multitasking.
Widgets.
Unobtrusive notifications (sliding tray that you drag down from top left hand corner of screen).

You should try Desire who:)
let's be realistic, it might look good on paper and on the spec sheet but it won't even make the iPhone flinch....

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
android is a great little platform and it will only carry on getting stronger and stronger only problem is with HTC and other manufactures adding custom skins all the time it greatly delays the update process so it can be months or more before you get an update, but yeah apple do need to step up now and take it to another level

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
Erm...hello???

802.11n support.
Multitasking.
Widgets.

sounds kinda like the droid, which hasnt been much competition to the iPhone

User3977

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
the iphone is fine... please just put a physical keyboad on the thing. it would be so much pro friendly.

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I like android phones, they really impress me, if the nexus one or something was available in Canada I'd have to seriously consider it.

With that said, it's pretty silly to think anything can beat the iPhone for the time being. Key words there = for the time being. People are just getting overexcited.

p1ngputts

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2010

There was a survey not long ago that said about 7% of iPhone users switched to Verizon for the Droid. Not sure on the credibility but I had the iPhone and switched to the Droid/Verizon. It might not have the apps, but Luke Wilson fibs a little bit regarding dl speed. This thing is crazy fast and the reception is so much better than my iDropCalls.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

and yet in the last quater the iPhone lost a lot of market share to OMG Android phones.

Android is starting to take off and still growing at an impressive rate.

I expect BB, Apple and Nokia to bleed market share to Android phones.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
According to this, it doesn't appear to support the "American" WCDMA bands. Is there another version available (I can't find it on the HTC US or NZ sites)?

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
and yet in the last quater the iPhone lost a lot of market share to OMG Android phones.

Android is starting to take off and still growing at an impressive rate.

I expect BB, Apple and Nokia to bleed market share to Android phones.

I said the droid, not all android phones collectively. There are over a dozen phones on android, so android phones have an advantage number-wise. If you compare individual android phones, like the droid, none have sold as well as any iPhone

verks

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Well guys, I've been away for over 6 months(last visit was 8/28) I left the iPhone for Sprint due to better coverage, cheaper prices and the grass is always greener Palm Pre, then switched to the Android HTC Hero. I'm no fanboy, I've had more phones on the last 4 years than anyone should.

I was a jailbraker and hacked to the max on the iPhone to maximize it's use and did the same with the Hero. To be honest, I miss the iPhone terribly. Sure the Android is nice and the widgets are cool but the overall experience does not compare. After 5 1/2 months on the Hero the iPhone is smoother, faster, easier to use, more fun to hack, more themes, better hacks, better more polished apps, better screen, better on screen keyboard and better touch sensitivity. Should I go on?

I really like my Android but I'm trying to find a way back to the iPhone. It will be sometime before Android surpasses the iPhone. Apple needs to add multitasking, widgets and a better home screen but other than that they are on top.

I'm looking to return to the iPhone but I don't know how and when. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.