More mandatory paid leave for Americans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Eraserhead, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Americans don't get as much paid leave as everyone else, I wonder if giving them four weeks like everyone else would be a good idea? Should be a good job boost for the rockies, appalachians and coastal areas.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

My company gives two weeks for new employees. Five years later, they get three. At ten years, four. I've been there long enough to get five but they don't do that anymore. Four is the cap.

3. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I don't think the business owners would go for such a thing.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am not sure it would work. "Paid leave" means that the company will have to pay for less productivity, which is going to translate in less hiring. I would keep it as it is, but add the possibility of a week at half or quarter pay, just in case you need one or two days to chill off a little bit if needed, without damaging the company.

5. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Four weeks is the legal minimum here.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Lazy Brits, no wonder you lost the colonies :)

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

How is paying people for not working a job boost?

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That flies in the face of actual research on the topic....

Here are pro-business publications:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/elenaba...boost-your-productivity-at-work/#6b4663706955
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nce-yes-research-says/?utm_term=.8cf665e7d048
    https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/237446

America's workforce work more hours than just about every industrialized nation on the planet.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Because employees need breaks to be productive and healthy.

10. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Because unlike cattle, human beings have families and other life outside of work. If you press too much on working and forcing them to neglect other aspects of their lives, it will kill their productivity and creativity etc. no matter how long their butts are stuck in office chairs...

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I work for a railroad so I'm pretty sure they don't believe in "life outside of work." It's a very old school and antiquated thought process there that is slowly changing through union contracts. Paid time off is a great perk and for high stress jobs it's a must. It's easy to get burned out. For those like myself who belong to a union, we benefit from negotiation and contracts. Hopefully the trend will catch on with union and non-union employers alike.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

workaholic americans, no wonder the drugs trade is so lucrative.

a month off would not kill the bottom line really. Shut the place. Shoo! Everybody out!

I'd have hated that since I loved taking long weekends instead but tbh I could have got used to a summer break.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'll take money over time off.

14. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because tourists generally go to two kinds of places, places like New York and San Francisco which are very economically successful and places of natural beauty - which usually have few jobs outside tourism.

The tourist trade also improves infrastructure to get to these places meaning if you want to run an IT business from (say) Fort William its plausible.

15. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

I will take money while on time off :)

16. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

That's what welfare bums do, Berny.

I'm all for getting rest and time off. But a mandatory month off is ridiculous. If you've been with a company for a while and you've EARNED that time off then that's a great things. That's an incentive. For the government to dictated that everyone gets a day off rewards people who DIDN'T earn it and it minimizes the efforts of those that HAVE earned it.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yet, most of the rest of the world does it, and has dramatically lower rates of prescribed medications for things such as anxiety disorders and depression. American's are somehow in the mindset that working yourself to death is admirable so the CEO and stockholders can keep a bit more.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Do you think it's reasonable? At the company I worked for, paid vacation was a benefit starting at 2 weeks per year, increasing to 4 weeks with seniority and this was while working 16 days per month.

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Yes, lets be like most of the world. 25% unemployment like Greece. 32 hour work week like France. No thanks. Keep your workers paradise in Europe, please, where it belongs. I prefer to work 60 hours a week, make a ton in OT. I own three houses (2 in CT and 1 in NH) plus 2 hectares of farmland in ND. I have 2 cars that are paid for and and no credit card debt (0 balance). I'm 37 and could retire now if I had to.

I'm the reason the welfare bums can live as well as they do.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Congratulations on owning a bunch of stuff?

Greece's problems have nothing to do with their vacation policy, the country was yet another victim of the World Bank/IMF entrapment scheme.

How does requiring time off be offered prevent you from working? Frankly I could give two ***** about the stuff you own.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

wow a bragfest so proud are you? all those horrible poor welfare bums all of them are worthless and your so great. damm no wonder you like donald you share the same brain.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Don't worry, he will retort with a line about "envy" in response to systemic criticisms. It's a tried and true playbook.

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

They are not all worthless, but I see MANY MANY MANY MANY of them in walmart buying large screen LCD tvs with WIC money and so forth.

I'm all for helping people short term so they can get back on their feet. I am very much against people who are content to STAY on the dole and just suckle on the tit of the tax payer until we have sore chaffed nipples.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2017 ---
    Wrong.

24. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Then be a teacher :D