More negative coverage of the Trump administration.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by poloponies, Apr 20, 2017.

1. poloponies macrumors 68030

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Ugh. Boring. And already covered in another thread.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I searched and didn't find another thread based on this topic. So if you're bored and have already discussed this issue, please feel free to leave the thread to those of us who haven't touched on this topic yet.

But ... Jeff Sessions should know that the "island" is one of the United States. Therefore he shouldn't be so amazed that a federal judge sitting on that island has the same power as any federal judge presiding in any other state of the Union.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Ram it through the Supreme Court. The president has this power, this is just a delay tactic.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Jeff should know a lot of things. He doesn't. He has lived most of his life in blissful ignorance of practically everything. I'm still thankful to the rest of the country for sharing this burden with the state of Alabama.

6. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Great....Now we get Senator Mazie Hirono looking like an idiot on Twitter. Is there something about about twitter that just makes people come across like we are babies? Good article, and Sessions makes a great point.

7. poloponies thread starter macrumors 68030

Stick to Canadian politics and civics, you're clearly out of touch with the U.S.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Just keep giving ole' Jeff a mic and he'll run home before 2019

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Which is ...?

10. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

11. jpietrzak8, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017

jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Just to be pedantic, most of the things stated in that link are by Ian D. Prior, not by Sessions:

Justice Department spokesperson Ian D. Prior clarified Sessions' remarks in a statement on Thursday.​

There was only one quote from Sessions himself in the article, and in that one he says this:

I really am amazed that a judge sitting on an island in the Pacific can issue an order that stops the President of the United States from what appears to be clearly his statutory and Constitutional power.​

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake -- there were more quotes by Sessions involving "psychoanalyzing the president". I've gotta admit that I find the quote interesting:

The judges don't get to psychoanalyze the President to see if the order he issues is lawful. It's either lawful or it's not.​

The problem here, of course, is that Sessions is implying that the Judge found the order lawful, but denied it anyway. But this executive order is obviously trying to squeeze a policy that is currently unlawful into the existing system of laws. If we want to ban people from this country because of their religion, we should pass laws through congress supporting that policy, not try to twist existing laws into a pretzel. (And isn't getting rid of reliance on executive orders one of the many things Trump ran on in the election?)

12. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yeah, it's pretty common, especially for the libs. Like Elizabeth Warren, Al Franken, and Chuck Schumer, she's just another liberal idiot looking for attention from the far left loons. As I read it, the revised travel order addressed all of the concerns the 9th Circuit had with the first order. If this revised order gets shot down, it should get appealed and let SCOTUS make the call.

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

because all of trumps words and actions are void by making a bit different executive order. trump blew it when he spoke about banning muslims on the campaign trail. be blew his first executive order when he said christians would get special treatment. Trump blew it period.

14. jeyf macrumors 6502

most of Trumps major issues are do nothing dont care:
    Mexico; if our economy quit extending employment to them, illegal immigration goes away
    abortion; i am a guy
    Russia; trump should move there if he likes it so
    China; make the US use flip phones
    bathrooms; knock 1st on the stall
    etc

his legislation will have small hidden attachments to limit employee's rights, raise drug prices...