More NRA Craziness

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, May 4, 2011.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Guns are within my scope of practice

Couple this with the fact that the NRA has prevented any studies on guns and their impact on American society and I think we can all rest assured that we're heading towards a society ruled by the American Taliban. Heavy sarcasm intended.

If guns are so important to society, why is it taboo to have an adult conversation about their impact on that society?

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

That is an EXCELLENT question.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ok, I'm sorry- I'm all for gun ownership rights, but this is just damn stupid. You've lost me, NRA. There is no reason to run from the truth or discuss guns.

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

My girlfriend is Chinese and she just doesn't understand our obsession with guns (understandably so). I don't either!

What are people so afraid of that they need guns to protect themselves from?

5. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

The bill and its proposed draconian penalties is just ridiculous.

On the other hand, Dr. Choi should tend to the physical and mental well-being of his patients, and stop trying to play safety nanny. Sorry, but I find his arguments unconvincing, and if a busybody doctor starting quizzing me about safety practices around my home, I'd tell him to F off.

6. eawmp1, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not sure what's medically relevant about owning or not owning a gun, but still, why penalize a doctor for asking and not, say, a teacher, clergyman, mechanic, dry cleaner, etc.? It doesn't make any sense.

8. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

You do understand that Dr Choi is a pediatrician, don't you?

Not asking about a child's physical environment, seems almost criminal in my mind. We put plugs in the outlets, child proof caps on medicines, child proof latches on cupboards, get rid of sharp edged furniture, require child safety seats in vehicles... I honestly don't see why a pediatrician should not concern himself with all aspects of a child's safety.

Are you an NRA member?

9. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think the Florida legislature is out to show how stupid and paranoid they are.

10. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Not at all, I despise the NRA and I don't even own guns. To be clear, I feel Dr. Choi should be free to ask such questions without losing his license or going to jail; likewise I should be free to decline to discuss such matters with him.

11. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

:confused::confused::confused:

Why should this be an issue? I have two qualms:

1. What business is it if a pediatrician asks if there are guns in the home? A child is more likely to get hit by a car, should the doctor be asking if their home is situated on a street? This reeks of a doctor playing politics.

2. Why should it be a crime for the doctor to ask??? That is just as stupid! If you have a problem with your doctor railing politics, get a new doctor.

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Guns are tons of fun and I will probably own a few one day (when I live in an area where i can actually use them).

Gun's are dangerous and it's perfectly reasonable for pediatricians to talk with and inform parents about those risks and how to mitigate them. You'd be amazed HOW LITTLE some people know about raising kids

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Do you have precription medications locked up?
    Are household cleaners and poisons out of reach?
    Is poison control's # on your phone?
    Do you have a fire escape plan?
    Do you have your child in an age-appropriate safety seat correctly installed?
    Do you have a pool, and is there an alarm or safety gate?
    Does your child wear a bike helmet?
    etc.

Why does a question about a potentially dangerous object and your provisions for its safe keeping threaten you? The doctor is not playing politics, hes practicing good preventative medicine.

14. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

In order to ensure the parent's are aware of the risk and know how to child proof their weapon.

In much the same way pediatricians would warn parents about electrical outlets and hanging chords.

15. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Any law that tells a physician what they can and can't ask a patient, or who they must treat despite their own personal views - is stupid. Physicians should be able to ask whatever they want, if the person answers that's their own choice, and if the physician no longer wants to treat them, thats his/her choice. Sames for guns, same for gays, same for anything. A private business person should be able to serve whomever they want to serve... period.

The hypocrisy from those of you on the left on this issue is pretty clear. If this was the GLBTA trying to pass a similar law regarding homosexuality, etc. you'd have no problem with it.

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Because being a homosexual is just like owning a gun. They're both choices. :rolleyes:

17. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Being a choice has nothing to do with it. Having African American genes in your bloodline isn't a 'choice' but it does make you at higher risk for certain diseases. Maybe the NAACP wants to sue and prevent doctors from asking if people have black heritage?

How about we just let the doctors do their freaking job and let the customers choose doctors that they feel do the job right? What a crazy notion. Let the free market figure it all out instead of the sickening bureaucratic mess displayed in the quoted article and many others we could dig up if we tried. We should just realize that government isn't the solution, it's the problem.

18. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Sorry, during which year of medical school do doctors receive gun safety training? How many hours of coursework on home safety do they complete? The typical MD is no more qualified to discuss these matters than any bozo on the street with more than an ounce of common sense. If they really want to help their patients child-proof their homes effectively, providing a helpful checklist would far more effective than interrogating parents.

19. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I tend to agree with you regarding a physician's readiness to provide gun safety lessons, but I think you're missing the bigger picture. Do you think that the government should be OUTLAWING physicians from asking their patients questions? It doesn't matter what the question is... is that the role of government?

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

considering that everybody seems to be agreeing with you on the stupidity of this law, your claim of "hypocrisy" seems completely empty

21. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

No, I've already said I think the bill is complete nonsense. I'm only addressing Dr. Choi's assertion (in the OP) that he has a duty to pry into non-medical aspects of the lives of his patients.

22. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

No, we've had similar discussions before regarding a physician's willingness to treat someone due to their own personal religious beliefs, etc. and their response was quite different... the vast majority in that case believed that the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT should not allow doctors to ask such questions or refuse to perform procedures they found philosophically reprehensible such as abortions... as if each physician in the country is some sort of robot working at the service of the government no longer allowed to think or reason on their own. But, now that it's about guns, they take a different approach. It's a very distinct hypocrisy.

23. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

My thoughts.

"Do you have a firearm in the home?"
    "Yes"
    "It should be locked up or have a trigger guard."
    "NO ****?"

24. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

nope; you've simply mixed up the issues and the responses

25. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

You're right in that it does not perfectly align, but the point is the same... In this case, I would support the doctor's right to ask questions, give advice, and not serve the customer if that's his decision. In the other cases, my position was the same. To the contrary, the leftist clan in the other cases thought that doctors should be forced to treat everyone for every situation regardless of philosophy, while in this case they seem to be advocating a doctor's right to ask questions, and make choices based on the serve the customer if that's his decision.

Exactly. Physicians can't be sitting there going through every single life hazard.

"Do you walk across the street?"
    "Yes"
    "You should look both ways."
    "No ****!"

"Do you go to the mall?"
    "Yes"
    "You should keep children under the age of 5 close at your side at all times."
    "No ****!"