More Obama Waste - "Cash for Refrigerators"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IntheNet, Nov 28, 2009.

1. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

'Cash for Clunkers,' household edition
    By Peter Whoriskey
    Washington Post
    Friday, November 27, 2009
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/26/AR2009112602420.html
    In U.S. history, there may have been no better time to own a junk car, a rattling old fridge and a leaking dishwasher.On the heels of its ballyhooed "Cash for Clunkers" program for cars, the federal government is expected to finalize details in the coming weeks of another tax-supported shopping extravaganza, known as "Cash for Appliances."

More money we don't have for stuff we don't need, courtesy of Spender-In-Chief...

Get Ready for Cash for Appliances …
    The White House plans to pursue its similar $300 million stimulus program for home appliances....
    "Problem.. appliance sales depressed. People will put off their purchases until they know they can get a better deal. After all, most of the appliances getting replaced aren’t non-functional; if they were, Barack Obama and Congress wouldn’t need to subsidize their replacement."

2. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

yah dude, who needs the environment!

get an education.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This was in the news months ago. Why are we discussing it now?

What if we're facing a news story that doesn't offer the luxurious option of months to render? (Sorry to ask such a land mine of a question.)

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Since the dateline is Nov 27, Mr. Veil, the subject has obviously resurfaced. :)

It's just another indicator of the general ignorance of economics and the marketplace already evinced by the Beltway Bandits. For that matter, the Cash for Clunkers showed how ignorant the car-buying public is.

The CforC deal meant that folks' "gift" from the Gods made up the difference between the window-sticker price they paid over the discounted price they could have paid in a straight sale. But the gift is taxable. Oops! And they took on debt they didn't really need. Oops! And sales in 2009 have taken away sales from 2010 and 2011. Oops! Reduced the parts availability for poor folks commuterwagons. Oops!

It'll be about the same for the Fridge. Pay full-bore retail and overload the recycling process. A frenzy of back-orders and irate customers, and storage problems with the trade-ins.

Ah, governmental wisdom! Toilets which don't flush worth a hoot, trickley little shower heads, gas cans that won't pour, lawnmowers with doodads in the name of safety which are defeated with baling wire...And folks wonder why I'm cynical about all this so-called medical reform?

5. Queso macrumors G4

Yep, government is so badly run. If only they ran like clockwork the same way banks do.

Oh oops....:eek:

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Im glad you put government on the same level as one of the most greed ridden industries on the face of the planet with little long term planning, no risk assessment, and absolutely no accountability, its almost like they are part of the same entity.

7. Queso macrumors G4

No organisation is perfect sadly. They're made up of imperfect people.

I bet even Apple wastes cash...

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

And when its unsustainable they go out of business, our government just prints more money devaluing our currency (and destroying other countries (maybe even yours) investments in our money) or taxes us more, which makes visible waste in the system sickening and unacceptable.

the only thing more sickening is to see these companies who are considered too big to fail be propped up by the same government and then not ruled to split into smaller companies after the catastrophe.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Well, I know at least with our bailed out banks they're being forced to split. Our government decided the rest of the economy could go to the wall though.

Nothing is ideal. However, on the fridge thing I'd say the subsidy is right. Old fridges have CFCs. Better to get them disposed of properly rather than have the ozone hole go all the way up to Thailand (and down to Morocco, you're not telling me there's only one over Antarctica).

Not good on the car thing though. That's just not worked. Here they offered the same, designed to prop up the UK car industry. Everyone pocketed the cash and bought Volkswagens and Audis. The Germans must love us :rolleyes:

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Thailand's north of the equator :p.

11. Queso macrumors G4

ROFL.

No mate, I've not been drinking...honest :p

Yeah, I'll just shut up and sit in this corner here :eek:

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They need a cash for wives and husbands and of course sex toys. :D

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What do the Brits make besides the Mini, Jag and Aston? :p

And even then, Mini is owned by Germans, Jaguar is owned by Indians, and Aston is owned by Kuwaitis ;)

14. Queso macrumors G4

Apparently we make lots of Nissans and Toyotas.

I kid you not :cool: