Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I saw this a little while ago. Interesting, if not detailed.

Now, if the load on the ADC sites would drop off so I can download it in less than 5 days, I'd be a happy guy!

Comment

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Simplified Finder

You know in your current Jaguar Finder windows how there is the clear roundish button on the top right hand corner?

Click that, the toolbar goes away. Click it again, it's back.

All they are saying is:

Click it, the toolbar *and* the left column go away. Click it, it's back.

That simple.

Jaedreth

Comment

x-virge

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2003
Re: Simplified Finder

Originally posted by jaedreth
You know in your current Jaguar Finder windows how there is the clear roundish button on the top right hand corner?

Click that, the toolbar goes away. Click it again, it's back.

All they are saying is:

Click it, the toolbar *and* the left column go away. Click it, it's back.

That simple.

Yeah, I know about the simplified interface.. that was in the first developer build too. But is it now actually in *Aqua* instead of Brushed Metal? That's what I seemed to take from the original quote. That would be *really* nice, because that actually makes more sense (see Ars Technica article about the Finder).. and the brushed metal simplified interface looked ugly.

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've heard from a couple of different places that it is indeed Aqua when you push the toolbar button thingy.

I'm looking forward to Safari 1.1, hopefully it'll fix the caching problem!

Comment

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Zip files?

from the translation:
It is now possible to compress data (.zip format) directly via the Finder, a bit like what Stuffit's True Finder Integration does.

Why would they go with .zip format? It doesn't preserve resource forks, as far as I'm aware. Is this just a translation error? :confused:

Comment

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Re: Zip files?

Originally posted by ebow
from the translation:

Why would they go with .zip format? It doesn't preserve resource forks, as far as I'm aware. Is this just a translation error? :confused:
Perhaps Apple is trying to move away from the use of resource forks.... but that doesn't make sense because Apple would still want people to be able to handle resource forks of older files.

Comment

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Re: Re: Zip files?

Originally posted by bobindashadows
Perhaps Apple is trying to move away from the use of resource forks.... but that doesn't make sense because Apple would still want people to be able to handle resource forks of older files.
Perhaps they added support for resource forks? In any case, I like the new functionality.

Comment

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Just a thought: if I move a file on the network, it becomes two files. One large with the actual data and one small without data. Maybe that is the resource fork and will they put them both inside the zip file.

Comment

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
The other problem with .zip is it doesn't maintain file permissions. Which is why you do tar.gz.

Comment

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Originally posted by Pancake
What does tar.gz stand for, if anything?
Tar is the Unix archiving program. Start up a terminal and do "man tar" to find out the details. The GNU compression program "gzip" uses the "gz" filename extension. Common Unix practice is to "tar up" a directory tree or entire partition, appending ".tar" to the resulting archive file, and then gzip'ing it, which adds ".gz" to the original filename.
You can also do this in one step by "piping" tar's output into gzip.

HTH

Comment

gallenx

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2003
tar.gz = ?

Originally posted by Pancake
What does tar.gz stand for, if anything?

tar stands for Tape ARchive. The tar format was created so that you could wrap a lot of files up in a single file. There is no compression support in the tar format.

gz stands for GNU Zip, which is a very featureless compression format. It can only compress a single file. It also doesn't really retain any information about the file inside.

Because of this, tar is used to collect a group of files (and their info) and that is then gzipped to compress the tar archive into a smaller size, thus resulting in a .tar.gz or .tgz.

Comment

Datazoid

macrumors regular
May 10, 2002
Re: Re: Simplified Finder

Originally posted by x-virge
Yeah, I know about the simplified interface.. that was in the first developer build too. But is it now actually in *Aqua* instead of Brushed Metal? That's what I seemed to take from the original quote. That would be *really* nice, because that actually makes more sense (see Ars Technica article about the Finder).. and the brushed metal simplified interface looked ugly.

Per MacBidouille:
A simplified Aqua look is available for the Finder, instead of brushed metal. In that case, there's no toolbar on top, nor any column on the side.

Comment

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by daveL
I saw this a little while ago. Interesting, if not detailed.

Now, if the load on the ADC sites would drop off so I can download it in less than 5 days, I'd be a happy guy!

5 days, I should be so lucks. At my shop, downloading off the ADC servers (and my shop has obscene OC-3 bandwidth) Disk 2 was going to take over 400 hours :D Its getting to the point where I might do better to just wait for it to ship than try to download the seed. I've decided to let the download continue just to see which events in history will occur before I can actually completely download the seed.

Comment

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Download blues

Sorry to hear that Gregory. But yeah, OC-3 is sweet. :)

Of course, I work for an ISP that *sells* T1's...

Jaedreth

ps wish I could afford the $500 to join ADC the right way, and help the cause...

Comment

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Originally posted by gregorypierce
5 days, I should be so lucks. At my shop, downloading off the ADC servers (and my shop has obscene OC-3 bandwidth) Disk 2 was going to take over 400 hours :D Its getting to the point where I might do better to just wait for it to ship than try to download the seed. I've decided to let the download continue just to see which events in history will occur before I can actually completely download the seed.
I've sent them a couple of emails, with no real (non-automated) reply. I *did* just notice that they put up a red status message on the download directory indicating that the site volume was very high and that you might want to try later. I guess what I don't understand is why this download is so much more taxing than previous Jag releases. Have they cut back download resources or has the ADC membership grown that much recently? In any event, if the are shipping CDs, I'm not sure why they bothered putting the images up for downloading. For me, this has been a dismal customer experience. BT would have been way faster than this, but ...

Comment

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by daveL
I've sent them a couple of emails, with no real (non-automated) reply. I *did* just notice that they put up a red status message on the download directory indicating that the site volume was very high and that you might want to try later. I guess what I don't understand is why this download is so much more taxing than previous Jag releases. Have they cut back download resources or has the ADC membership grown that much recently? In any event, if the are shipping CDs, I'm not sure why they bothered putting the images up for downloading. For me, this has been a dismal customer experience. BT would have been way faster than this, but ...

Well here's hoping that they ship the CDs early because getting sub 1k speeds on an OC-3 is just silly. So far the following events in history occurred while downloading the seed:

* Death of George Burns
* Report on 9/11 released to public

Comment

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Originally posted by gregorypierce
Well here's hoping that they ship the CDs early because getting sub 1k speeds on an OC-3 is just silly. So far the following events in history occurred while downloading the seed:

* Death of George Burns
* Report on 9/11 released to public
You have a very slow link, indeed....

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Movies/9603/burns_obit/burns_reacts/index.html

"March 9, 1996
Web posted at: 7:00 p.m. EST

CONCORD, California (CNN) -- George Burns once quipped: "I can't afford to die; I'd lose too much money." After he passed away Saturday, it was that remarkable sense of humor that Burns' friends and admirers most remembered.

President Clinton applauded Burns as "one of the great entertainers of all time," one who touched more than three generations with his humor.

"George Burns' sense of timing and captivating smile touched the hearts and funny bones of more than three generations," Clinton said in a statement issued during a trip to California. "He enabled us to see humor in the toughest of times and laugh together as a nation. We will miss him greatly."

"

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.