MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
AppleInsider posts more screenshots and details of the most recent Panther Build - 7B28. They summarize:

With little to no visual or feature alterations made in this latest build of Panther, it appears that the development process is starting to wind down. Panther was originally slated for a September release, and from the looks of the latest builds, should hit that target.

MacNews.net.tc (perm link) posts their installation notes on the same build.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
It seems like the Appleinsider article isn't working. I hope this news that Panther could possibly be released next month turns out to be true, because I personally cannot wait for all these new goodies, plus it makes it likely that the new PowerBooks could ship with it preloaded, which means lower costs for users without having to upgrade to Panther on top of also buying a new computer.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
heh... was working just a few seconds ago. guess wait it out...

looks like MacNN's mysql server is having issues.

arn

Comment

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
apple legal will pull his thing down , either that or his site will flood with traffic :)

Comment

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I'm surprised how long they've gone with posting pics of Panther for the past month or so. Same with Think secret, they have hundreds of pictures from their in depth series. I would have sworn that Apple legal would have shut that down within a day or two. Oh well, I can't complain. I have been drooling over those pictures since I saw the keynote from WWDC. With every update, it seems like Panther is shaping up to be more worth its pricetag. Let's just hope it's soon before I go mad...you don't want me to go mad...it is not pretty.

Comment

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by kb9000
I would pay $129 just for the zooming animated icons!

oh comon, panther is more than that. Panther is as important of an update as 10.1 was to 10.0

Comment

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
panther has been pretty cool, but on my powerbook it has one bug that is drving me crazy. after i install, some time after that the computer changes to me to a standard user. now i cant install anything or change anything on my computer. my powermac i havent noticed the problem so i dont know whats goin on.

iJon

Comment

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I am still upset that I got stuck with 10.0, too. It basically scared me away from OS X altogether for the past three years after seeing how horribly it ran on my G3 PowerBook. But Panther, ooo, how I adore you! All I can say is expose will rock my world!

Comment

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
if panther comes out next month I'll be one of the lame fools who waits outside the store hours and hours before it opens to be one of the first to get it, actually that'll happen no matter when they release it. Obviously I want it sooner then latter BUT Id rather them get it perfect and wait a few more months then to buy it and have it still have a few bugs yet Im sure apple knows what they're doing and will release it when its good and ready. I just got my first mac about 6 months ago so I have no clue how jaguar was when it was very first released.. anyone know if it had any annoying bugs before the first update?

Comment

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Yeah Jaguar had alot of bugs, but apple squished most of them with the release of 10.2.1 about 4-5weeks after it hit the shelves. Jaguar didn't its potential until 10.2.3 , it picked up massive speed improvements

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Panther has so much new, I'd be amazed if it's truly complete next month. I'd be happy to have it though.

(Don't expect any miracles on a PBG3... better than 10.0, yes, but not what you'd call fast, I'm sure. Apple doesn't even support the built-in video board for hardware video acceleration.)

Comment

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
When I get Panther, it will be running on a new 15" AlBook :) I learned my lesson trying to run OS X on my PowerBook G3 already. With an 8 meg video card, it just plain sucks no matter how fast the system is because it doesn't support Quartz...It'd be nice to just turn off all those extra Aqua perks that take up so much graphics power, because that is a big part of what slows down my system if I had to guess. I just hope Panther ships in September so it is preinstalled, because I know it will be worth it, but that extra $130 could be used towards an iSight or Keynote or a nice 512 meg RAM upgrade. :D

Comment

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
When I get Panther, it will be running on a new 15" AlBook :) I learned my lesson trying to run OS X on my PowerBook G3 already. With an 8 meg video card, it just plain sucks no matter how fast the system is because it doesn't support Quartz...It'd be nice to just turn off all those extra Aqua perks that take up so much graphics power, because that is a big part of what slows down my system if I had to guess. I just hope Panther ships in September so it is preinstalled, because I know it will be worth it, but that extra $130 could be used towards an iSight or Keynote or a nice 512 meg RAM upgrade. :D

On my Pismo OS X works great.. I have however replaced the hard disk with a much faster IBM travelstar which could be making a huge difference. I use it every day quite intensively.. including app development... I've recently even been using a 1.25 G4 DP and am still able to go back to the pismo without feeling like I just fell into a barell of mollasses in december..

Comment

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I just hope Panther ships in September so it is preinstalled

I agree, it would seem a bit crazy to release new PB's and then only have us all upgrade to Panther. But if the rumors about Motorola being too slack-ass to get the new chips out on time, being the reason for the PB delays, then maybe Apple never intended the realease of the PB's and Panther to be so close, so they may even delay the PB release even more now just so they can release Panther pre-insatlled on the new machines.... just a thought

Comment

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by iJon
panther has been pretty cool, but on my powerbook it has one bug that is drving me crazy. after i install, some time after that the computer changes to me to a standard user. now i cant install anything or change anything on my computer. my powermac i havent noticed the problem so i dont know whats goin on.

iJon

Oh, you don't know?! Apple has a new user prowess app. It runs all the time and determines a users aptitude level. If a user fails to meet a certain level of criteria it throttles them back to a basic user thus preventing them from hacking their own head off by doing things they shouldn't.;) :p

Comment

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit
Oh, you don't know?! Apple has a new user prowess app. It runs all the time and determines a users aptitude level. If a user fails to meet a certain level of criteria it throttles them back to a basic user thus preventing them from hacking their own head off by doing things they shouldn't.;) :p
haha, well whatever the hell it is its driving me crazy. when i installed 28 earlier today i was admin, so i was like ok its fixed. i came back later tonight to install lapcop on my computer and i was back to standard user and basically locked out of my own system without reinstalling panther.

iJon

Comment

guifa

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
Hopefully before release they can fix this annoying bug with Finder.

I dunno what it is, but Finder will constantly use every bit of idle CPU I have, and after having the system up for a day or two, it gets bad about giving it up too. It's sad when changing windows on a 17" Powerbook causes iTunes to skip. And the only programs you're running at the time are Finder, iTunes, iChat, Process Viewer and XCode, and XCode isn't doing anything processor intensive.

Process Viewer reports Finder using 80%+ of my CPU.....arg.....that and battery life is shot too. I'm getting maybe 2 hours on the Panther builds, but I got just over 3 on Jaguar.

Comment

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by guifa
Hopefully before release they can fix this annoying bug with Finder.

I dunno what it is, but Finder will constantly use every bit of idle CPU I have, and after having the system up for a day or two, it gets bad about giving it up too. It's sad when changing windows on a 17" Powerbook causes iTunes to skip. And the only programs you're running at the time are Finder, iTunes, iChat, Process Viewer and XCode, and XCode isn't doing anything processor intensive.

Process Viewer reports Finder using 80%+ of my CPU.....arg.....that and battery life is shot too. I'm getting maybe 2 hours on the Panther builds, but I got just over 3 on Jaguar.
so thats why my computer has bene goign slow. almost everything i do makes my music skip. i know i only have 256mb of ram but jaguar never did this. and i usually only have safari, mail, itunes and ichat open.

iJon

Comment

onemilkid

macrumors newbie
Hoping for Apple Expo Paris unveiling

I already got my Keynote admission. I just hope that panther will be ready by then, Mr. Jobs will give the Keynote (like last year) and every attendee will receive a free Box of Panther (and a Dual G5 just that we perceive the system as very fast;-)

Comment

foniks2020

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2002
Originally posted by iJon
so thats why my computer has bene goign slow. almost everything i do makes my music skip. i know i only have 256mb of ram but jaguar never did this. and i usually only have safari, mail, itunes and ichat open.

iJon

256 MB of RAM! What is this 1992? Seriously, even in Windows land RAM is the biggest 'performance' bottleneck that you as the user can fix and relatively cheaply. Double it and you will see an amazing change happen, triple or quadruple it and you'll wonder if you were really just living a nightmare the whole time.

Comment

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by foniks2020
256 MB of RAM! What is this 1992? Seriously, even in Windows land RAM is the biggest 'performance' bottleneck that you as the user can fix and relatively cheaply. Double it and you will see an amazing change happen, triple or quadruple it and you'll wonder if you were really just living a nightmare the whole time.
ah i dont care, all i do on this computer is listen to music, talk, check mail and stuff like that. it has never been bad in jaguar, just now in panther. but thats ok, its a beta os. i already told my mom i want more when my g5 comes in because ill start learning final cut as soon as the computer gets here.

iJon

Comment

Linc

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2003
Lots of people seem to be compaining about battery life, but the 7B21 and 28 on my 1ghz TiBook have been getting 4+ hours at normal usage, as opposed to the 2.5 hrs or so under jag. It has been running a whole lot faster and I'm in love with it, although one thing has stopped me from using it: EOModeler is broken under it! So I have set the machine up so i can dual boot between jag and panther, which really shows the improvements being made. All in all I can see it easily being ready next month, as long as filevault gets done! (anyone seen anything to do with it?)

Comment

vrapan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
UK
I only have 256RAM (intending to max it out soon) but Panther 7B28 is crazily fast. I mean with Jag after opening Safari, Word, iTunes and iChat the system would start complaining the hard drive would spin its head to death and the system would become very slow after trying to open something more. With 7B28 I have 12 yeap 12 programs open and several documents from them and it is flying I mean it is like I have nothing open - the HD still spins quite a bit but the system does not show it.

As about battery life hmm it gives me 3:30 on a full battery as opposed to 2:30 on Jag.... I love Panther it seems like I have upgraded my 12" PB.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.