More parents kills their children in the name of christ.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Apr 27, 2014.

1. steve knight, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

This has to cause christ to weep but if he does nothing to prevent it then what can you say. But even if he came down ad slapped the parents upside then sad and told them to go to the doctor they would just think it was the devil. They can't be convinced no matter what. :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=YbjXYdek

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I don't understand how minors in this context are considered property.

"Well she's my child so I will pray and reject medical realities because my loving god decides her fate"

Does a parents religious rights end at the medical decisions that would cost their children's lives? Apparently not. This kind of case seems to be a constant thread that runs through American life.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Not prejudicial, enlightening. If it's relevant to the accused's motivation it should be included. Otherwise, how can the jury understand?

4. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Oregon passed a law exempting using faith as a reason not to give medical care to children because of this horrible church. Generations of families have let their children die sometimes more then once. These idiots are not pro life in anyway.

5. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

That's impressive! It's not every day that you meet someone who's died multiple times.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Should've been first degree murder. This was a premeditated decision to kill their daughter. Lock em up and throw away the key.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That'd be a helluva lot harder to prove, since you can't say these people were acting maliciously. The facts surrounding the case are enough to slap these people with negligent homicide or manslaughter, and get them a good 20 years in prison, I'm sure.

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Yeah abortion is out of hand.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The girl was 12 years old, self aware, and felt every second of her suffering. Certainly you can equate the differences between this and a second trimester abortion.

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Different circumstances, same result.

11. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

No the parents killed two of their children and one of their children had kids and let one die. Sow three children dead in one family in the same church. All in the name of god.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Go to a NICU, find a 23 weeker gestational age, and throw it in a blender. Tell me if it's murder after.

13. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I knew what you meant, I was just pointing out how awkward your choice of words was. ;)

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

So we should lock up women who have abortions and throw away the key? Sounds like the type of country I wanna live in!!!! :rolleyes:
    Different circumstances, different results.
    One is the death of a person, the other is the prevention of a clump of cells from growing into a self sustaining person. Apples and oranges. Nice try though.

15. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

I know I am terrible at explaining myself.

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Denying your child, a minor, medical attention because of religious beliefs should be a crime, no questions asked. There is no reason at all that any person can give for this child to die over something as manageable as diabetes.

Lock the parents up, they're not fit to have kids.

17. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I like how you compartmentalize the two, helps with the ick factor doesn't it?

Either way, it could be said that we're all nothing more than a clump of cells, why do you feel the need to make the distinction for a fetus?

I even know a few "clumps of cells" who are not what you could consider "self sustaining persons"; I suppose ending their lives would be permissible under your guidelines?

18. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

So a murder and a natural death have the same end result so they are the same?

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You mean people in permanent vegetative states who are showing zero higher cortical functionality?

20. iBlazed, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Actually there is no ick factor in it for me, sounds like a you problem.

Because a fetus is a parasite that cannot survive outside its host.

Can they survive outside the womb? Apparently so, since you know them. So no, it wouldn't be.

EDIT: Actually, it totally depends. If it's someone is in the situation that Renzatic pointed out, if their family feels it appropriate to end their life then I feel that it's permissible.

21. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

You tell me, isn't that what you started this thread arguing?

----------

I mean people who are 100% reliant on the care of others for survival. Someone with a severe mental retardation comes to mind. Is it ethical to "abort" someone like that? Some of the people I know are seemingly not even self aware (which was another quality I saw held out as justification of abortion).

22. chown33 macrumors 604

Perhaps you can now take the time to answer my earlier question in another thread regarding personhood:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19036399

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

No, it's not. To me, someone with severe mental retardation has the right to life because there's a "person" in them. Depending on the severity, they might not be completely self aware, but they can feel pleasure, pain. Some things make them happy, other things sad. They enjoy the company of certain people. Even though it might be limited in some ways, and they'll always require the care of others throughout their lives, there is some semblance of humanity in them, and we should treat them with the utmost respect.

But say you have someone who's basically a brain stem attached to a still living body. For all intents and purposes, that person is dead. There's nothing there that mentally makes up a human being. In this situation, killing the body isn't the same as killing the person, because...well...they had already died long before.

I equate early-mid term abortions with that. I'm not gonna say it's AOK, and everyone should have abortions without feeling the tiniest bit of guilt, but I can't call it outright murder because there isn't a person there yet. It will be one day, but it's not yet. It's here you have to weigh the rights of someone who isn't a person yet against the rights of the mother, who is very much a living, breathing, self aware human being who have their own hopes and dreams, and loves and hates. I err towards the latter. Her now takes precedence over the fetuses unrealized potential.

24. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I don't understand why a bunch of our right-leaning posters brought up abortion in this thread?

What does abortion have to do with parents committing negligent homicide by denying their 12-year old daughter medical treatment based on their "beliefs" from a fictional book?

If anything, bringing up abortion in this thread just makes Christians look more foolish and reaffirms the whole "Pro-life but only until birth" thing.

25. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing