More Powerbook Rumors...

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacUser.co.uk is reporting on the upcoming Powerbook upgrades with numbers that are contrary to other circulating rumors:

Instead the fastest PowerBook will be 933MHz (up from 867MHz) and the entry level 667MHz model will be speed-bumped to 867MHz.
According to their sources, Superdrive is not going to be an option, while Bluetooth will be built-in.

Meanwhile, ThinkSecret reports the date of release is pushed back to November 6, 2002.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Seems like everyone has something different to say, we will just have to wait on this one. I think though that if there is not superdrive in this update, then we wont see a superdrive until a new model comes out.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by vollspacken

so, what else will justify the price increase that will surely occure???
Why do you think the price will be going up? The price will likely be the same as the current models.

arn

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
933 MHz?? Apple is expecting me to give 4500$ for 933 MHz laptop without radeon 9000? **** that, i can go and buy 2 GHz PC laptop and be happier, run games and apps faster... But I am addicted to macs.. crap crap why is this happening to me arrghhhhh
calm down its just a rumor, we'll see whats up on 5th or 6th november
btw, why are macs so ****ing expensive in europe? damn apple, they dont give a **** about us

GetSome681

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2002
A 66 MHz difference between the two configurations just doesn't seem likely to me. With MOST things that difference isn't noticeable...which means why in the world would anyone spend the extra ~$1k on the 933 = lost $ for Apple. This just doesn't seem likely to me.

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
"up from 867mhz"

Should say of course, 800mhz. But is 800mhz and 933mhz enough of a difference to justify the price points on these two machines? The 933mhz better have something else to offer, such as bluetooth and better video.

Too bad no more rumors yet on iBook updates, that's what my credit card is really waiting to pounce on. Or, if its anything like the recent Powermac release (ho hum) on Nov 6th, then a new or refurb 12" 700mhz iBook will be on my shopping list.

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Sometimes I really hate Apple...

MacUser has rarely been wrong and I believe them 99%!!!

No 1GHz chip (933Mhz)
No faster bus (remains at 133MHz)
No SuperDrive (keeps the DVD/CD-RW combo)
No faster graphics (remains with ATI 7500)

Ooooo... Ooooo...

But, it DOES have BlueTooth... yea!!!

I was going to buy two new PowerBooks, but not this load of crap. Know why sales are down... Apple doesn't provide a reason to upgrade.

So I get a 133MHz faster chip (no small upgrade mind you, but that 1GHz mind set is killing them) and BlueTooth for the bump. Hmmm looks like I'll be waiting another 6 - 8 months...

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
So the plot thickens.....

Well i'm not sure what to believe. There is just too many conflicting reports on specs.

I can't see apple having a low end 867 and a high end 933. A 66mhz diffrence won't justify the 700 dollar price diffrence between high and low end. Even if the high end has bluetooth and low end doesn't. And i would imagine we'd have to see some sort of graphics card update. How can we not, its been quite a while since the tibook got an update, about 8 months if i'm not mistaken. I'd like to see the Radeon 9000 in there.

I think we have another 8 months before we see a superdrive in the tibook. So here's hoping for 1ghz, bluetooth and radeon 9000. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to win the lottery. :D

I guess we'll just have to sit and bite our nails in anticipation

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
design is a bit old

While the TiBook is an attractive machine, it seems that it hasn't changed (with any visual significance) in AGES. I was hoping for some kind of amazing new enclosure, but I guess I'll have to wait for MacWorld in January (if even then). I'm no long-time Mac user (I switched only 14 months ago), so what kind of turnover does Apple usually have on designs? When did the TiBook initially come out?

I know this is a little loony, but with a change to the hinging mechanism it would be to major technical feat to make the TiBook screen fold all the way around the back and clip (using a similar clip to that which is already on the grabbing mechanism) to the bottom.

A TiBook that can fold over into a tablet would really steal Microsoft's TabletPC thunder scheduled for the 7th. From an OS side, all they'd need to do I figure is change the orientation of the screen and enable Ink during the flip.

I know it's crazy, but it's a fun thought isn't it? :) Maybe they'll do something radical in January. After all, radical new designs have been part of Apple's continuing upswing since the debut of the original iMac, I'm not expecting them to stop now.

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Originally posted by Thirteenva
How can we not, its been quite a while since the tibook got an update, about 8 months if i'm not mistaken.
Just a little mistaken, the PowerBook G4 was last rev'd just a little over 6 months ago.

--- begin differences in PowerBook G4 just over a year ---

October 16, 2001

550 Mhz or 667 Mhz G4 with 256K L2 cache
133 Mhz system bus on 667, 100 Mhz on 550 Mhz
DVD-ROM or CD-RW
ATI Mobility Radeon with AGP 4X and 16MB DDR
10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet
20GB, 30GB, or 48GB Ultra ATA/66
USB, FireWire, VGA and S-video output

December 17, 2001

*CD-RW/DVD-ROM across the board

April 29, 2002

*667 Mhz and 800 Mhz G4 with 1MB L3 cache
*133 Mhz system bus on all models
*ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 with AGP 4X and 32MB DDR
*DVI output
*Increased resolution to 1280 x 854

November 6, 2002

*867 Mhz and 933 Mhz G4 with ? cache
*BlueTooth

--- end differences in PowerBook G4 just over a year ---

If Apple would improve the graphics card in addition to the 933 and BlueTooth I'd buy, otherwise I'll wait some more.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The hinge mechanism...

... is the weakest part of the TiBook, everyone knows it, and so that will need something better. Next year, I suppose.

If Airport reception's troublesome on the ti, won't bluetooth reception be iffy too?

Someone suggested the date change here on MacRumors a long ways back. Hi, Apple!

As for the Superdrive, a MacRumors report mentioned the (here come the asterisks) Matsu****a (Panasonic) drive in connection with the new machines, and that drive is indeed available slot-loading in quantity.

As for the new iBook - :D

Don't panic, folks. Some great stuff is coming out!

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
I have to agree with Thirteenva and GetSome681 that there is no way that there will only be a 66mhz difference between the top and bottom models. No way in heck. We can be rather confident that anyone claiming this this will be the case is wrong.

I'm still hoping on the Radeon 9000 Mobility though, it's just about the simplest thing Apple could do that has any wow-factor.

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Originally posted by ddtlm
I have to agree with Thirteenva and GetSome681 that there is no way that there will only be a 66mhz difference between the top and bottom models. No way in heck. We can be rather confident that anyone claiming this this will be the case is wrong.
I'll bet bank it's 800 and 933 Mhz... any takers?

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
oooh...impressive. 133 MHz speed bump.

lack-luster.

Give us the 1 Gig. you have the chip. So if this is true, that means the next update in 6 months will be 1 GHz. Dissappointing.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
impierced:

Yeah I'd sorta bet on 800mhz and 933mhz as well, although the temptation of 1.0ghz seems like it would be enough to make Apple go those extra 66mhz. I'd like to say that I expect 800mhz and 1000mhz, but really how I am I supposed to know...

I'd like to see 2mb L3 on the top model. Every little bit helps, and sadly the PBook needs some help.

e-coli:

In 6 months Moto may be producing their 130nm G4's. Those will surely be offered at speeds higher than 1.0ghz right away (but I can't see Apple offering a huge jump or anything).

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by impierced

I'll bet bank it's 800 and 933 Mhz... any takers?
I've been saying that for weeks now. No one here realizes that Apple HAS ALWAYS (mostly) made the top end the low end the next rev. So why would Apple all of a sudden skip over a low end 800? Don't see it. 800 & 933. No reason to upgrade? Why would you upgrade in 6 months? That's ridiculous. I don't have a PB so this is great for me, I waited for the top to become the low so I could get a good deal. You want to upgrade? Then wait a year or so.

kumichou

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
NE, Ohio
I have a pretty good feeling they'll be 933 & 800 as well. So far, Apple has traditionally made the top-o-line one generation be the bottom of the line in the next generation.

Somebody

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2002
NYC
I agree on the 800/933 prediction, too.

My bet would be that the step up to the symbolic 1 GHz number will be rolled up with a number of other significant changes, including a new enclosure.

XMac.no

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2002
Norway
Powerbook G4

Apple probably would'nt put the low end model 67 mhz over the current top model and so close to the coming top model. Especially not if the top model does'nt go past 933 mhz. Something needs to justify the price difference between the two. If bluetooth is being built into the new Powerbook then both models will have it. Seeing that it is not a very expensive addon and since they removed the IR port it needs some way of communicating with a cellphone.
If ATI has completed the mac version of the Mobility Radeon 9000 I believe Apple would use it in both configurations. I can't recall Apple having different graphics cards in the two models. They would also want to boost sales on the 9000, so that ATI would'nt loose interest in further development and they would probably move the iBook up to 7500.
When it comes to RAM i believe it would be foolish of Apple to hold back on DDR in such an expensive and professional machine. PC laptops have had DDR for some time and so should Apple. I can almost picture it. The new Powerbook G4 with Xserve technology :D Bus speed will probably remain the same.
Adding all this together you get something like this :

Powerbook G4 800 @ 133 mhz
256 DDR Ram
40GB
Radeon 9000
Bluetooth

Powerbook G4 933 @ 167 mhz
512 DDR Ram
60GB
Radeon 9000
Bluetooth
AirPort

XMac.no

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2002
Norway
About the bus speed I ment remain the same on the low end, but upped on the top model. Up to 167. Also I'm hoping on a faster disk interface.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
XMac.no:

Powerbook G4 933 @ 167 mhz
I can essentially gaurentee that this will not happen because there are not, to my knowledge, any DDR-333 SO-DIMM's (laptop RAM) available for sale anywhere.

Not to mention that 933mhz is not a valid CPU clock speed for a 166mhz FSB.

GetSome681

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2002
Originally posted by ddtlm
XMac.no:

I can essentially gaurentee that this will not happen because there are not, to my knowledge, any DDR-333 SO-DIMM's (laptop RAM) available for sale anywhere.

Not to mention that 933mhz is not a valid CPU clock speed for a 166mhz FSB.
He's not saying DDR. Just saying a FSB of 167. Just like how you can have pc100, pc133, etc. I don't see this happening...just b/c they'd save the new mobo revision for maybe a new case. I say this b/c how many of Apple's computers have gone rev. E+ on basically the same enclosure? I'm assuming not many...so who knows.

Anyone remember that "leaked" inventory page that listed a 1 GHz TiBook...not to mention that some high up there executives were thought to have been seen with these giger laptops. I'm hoping for the 1 GHz...but do know for sure that you won't see 867 and 933 in the two models as I said previously.