More Religious Child Molestation?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, Apr 23, 2012.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012/aprilweb-only/tom-white-accusations.html

The founder of VOM (Voice of the Martyrs) an organization with the goal of aiding prosecuted Christians (prosecuted for their Christianity presumably), committed suicide in response charges of child molestation charges.

On the plus side he isn't accused of molestation of young boys so he might still get into heaven.

"Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

Numbers 31:18

2. Happybunny, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think that some christians got the wrong idea when they read Matthew 9:14.

“Let the children come to me" ;)

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I had to go to a baptism over the weekend, I am happy to report that the church on Sunday had so few people that everyone crowded to the outsides of the benches leaving a huge gap in the middle of each row, that and everyone was about 40-50 years older than me. I turned to my fiance and said I'd seen better attendance in a town of 700 than this.

Religion dies with the next couple generations? Maybe.

4. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe religion in the parts of the Western World (even the USA).

But Africa
    Isolated South America
    The Middle East

Really anywhere with a shortage of education religion persistently holds on. Neil Degrasse Tyson did a good expose on the nature of religious threat to science and reason. We might (MIGHT) be somewhat past that in the 21st century world but there are things that still make me worry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxTMUTOz0w

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The conservative Christian approach to suppress everything along with the belief that all problems and character flaws are solved with prayer are proved wrong every day.

If this guy had been able to admit he had a problem and seek secular treatment for it -- then he may have been able to prevent himself from molesting this girl and in turn save his life.

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

N

No he won't. He killed himself, you don't get through the gates if u do that.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Thus sayeth the bitter old Summa Theologica...

8. AP_piano295, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Good point, now I really understand why religion is so necessary, my moral compass would probably be all messed up without it.

You know thinking that child molestation is worse than suicide, thank god I have religion to assist my moral development :rolleyes:.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm sure you mean well, but I fear that you have that reversed.

Suicide is eternal damnation, child molestation is but a slight inconvenience.

I hope that I have been helpful in easing your mind?

Now bugger away to your heart's content.

:rolleyes:

10. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

If your goal is to feel tall by trashing Christianity, why not just add to your last religion thread instead of starting a new one?

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Well that one is closed so....

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Good point.

Guess that's why he needed to start a new one.

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If you are going to take in the negative (which I am not against), you also have to consider the good things that Christianity has done. While I agree that religion has resulted in a lot of harm to many people, looking at only one person's legacy for a foundation that may have helped many people does not depict the entire picture.

14. AP_piano295, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ha Freudian slip but in a good way, :rolleyes: fixed.

EDIT:

Actually nm I was being sarcastic so it was right the first time.

15. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Religions is not required for morality and for that matter it isn't required to be an evil bastard child molester.

Atheists have done wonderful and terrible things as well.

The difference is Atheists don't imply some moral superiority over everyone else because they fallow the "right" fairy tale. If Christians as a whole actually acted more moral than everyone else they might have grounds to stand on with their claim. Since they don't it comes across as bullocks.

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

That is a little hateful of a statement, don't you think? There are tremendous differences within Christianity, and you are grouping them all as one. In fact, there are over 30,000 different denominations (AKA faith group, organized group, or faith division) world-wide.

17. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Wow! 30,000 different interpretations, it's almost like no one can agree on gods message. That guy needs to work on his communication skills! :rolleyes:

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Some would definitely be a good start. :rolleyes:

19. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

No one can agree on nearly anything for that matter, so why would you expect religion to be exempt? No one can agree on anything but everyone likes to think that they are right. My point is not how right or how wrong Christians may be, but more along the line of having a single opinion of Christianity directed to anyone and everyone who is a Christian in general is just as bigoted as the people who assume that anyone who is of Islamic faith is a terrorist or that those who are not religious somehow inherently lack the values that makes a person of character. Yes, there are some people who are Christian who see everyone else as damned, them as right, and that everyone needs to be 'saved'...but those extremist are the ones who get the media coverage. That does not mean they comprise the majority of Christians necessarily, and assuming that they are is not good reasoning. Religion, in general, has indeed done a lot of harm...open a history book and this becomes obvious very quickly. However, it is shortsighted to look at the harm only without considering the good as well.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And there you have it, in a nutshell. Books. Knowledge. Communication.

These religions assisted in the growth of Man, past the point of being mainly illiterate boobs.

But that time has ended. Witness this very post.

Let the old folks have their last days in the comfort of the church, for the younger generations are staying away in droves.

21. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes good can be accomplished through lies.

You tell a kid they'll go to hell if they don't obey their parents it makes parenting easier. If you tell people that theft and murder will also send them to an eternity of torment that might have good results.

If you tell people who are suffering in life that they will be rewarded in the afterlife that might make them happier more comfortable.

But that doesn't make any of these things true and it doesn't make any of them right. Lies can be used for "good" but they can just as easily be used for "bad" and the thing is people who learn to believe in lies are easy to manipulate. The moment you're willing to do something good for reasons of "faith" it becomes a-lot easier to do something bad for that same reason.

The world without a nice afterlife for the poor and decrepit sounds harsh. Just like a world without innate punishment for the wicked sounds un-just. But what's "nice" and what's true are not the same thing.

The suffering in this world is our responsibility, just like the evil done in this world. There is nothing to balance the scales when life ends, so perhaps we should balance the scales before that point?

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'll take the previous post one step further and just add when u teach kids "right and wrong" through these lies, they never really learn what's moral. Someday, they might come across something not taught about in their fables and won't have the tools to decide what the proper action is. Stealing songs from the Internet isn't physically stealing something from somebody so it's not a sin so go right ahead!

23. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh lord that must be my problem :rolleyes:.

24. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

So you can disprove every one of the few thousands religions worldwide? This seems to me like a very angry attitude towards religion, which I absolutely understand in part.

And I never said anything about suffering in the world not being our responsibility. Many religions teach followers that suffering is everyone's issue and that those who follow the religion need to do something about it rather than sitting on the sidelines. Many religious scholars would argue that religion (in general) was a means in which people were taught to help others, through a variety of religious teachings from numerous religions. One example would be the Qur'an and 'Alms-giving', which is a religious and moral obligation for those with wealth to serve the needy because their wealth is seen as a giving from God. In that sense, religion served/serves a functional purpose.

25. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Religion absolutely has served a functional purpose in human development...and it has definitely spurred literacy given there was a time in which most people who learned the ability to read or write were doing so due to religious studies. I really can't say if it still serves a functional purpose today or not. Religiosity is declining worldwide. I personally am from a family that has historically been religious, but my parents, my siblings, and I are not religious by any means. A major reason we originally strayed from our native religion (Catholicism) was because of the mistreatment of those who are female and/or gay and the way they currently view marriage and sex. But the worldwide decline doesn't tell all of the story. There has been a growth in more liberal religions, and there are divisions in Christianity in which women and those who are gay (openly, might I add) are allowed to give the services, and things such as birth control are not shamed. Not all divisions of Christianity look at the Bible as something written in stone...many scholars will even say that the Bible originated from contemporary morality from its time and so much of it does not apply to today in the way it was written. In my brief time in studying religion, I found it very interesting how much some divisions of a core religion differed. You have some divisions in Christianity which believe every aspect of the Bible word-for-word, and others who look at it as almost a loose set of guidelines.