More student discount on apple store online and other questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crispymacuser, Jan 12, 2008.

1. crispymacuser macrumors newbie

Hi I was just wondering whether the student discount is more online rather than buying it from a local apple store?

Also does this discount apply to software you buy?

Lastly do you need any proof if buying online and if so whats the process?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. The prices are the same online and in store.
    2. You will normally be asked for a student ID in store but some will only ask for an education e-mail. Online you might be asked to fax in a class schedule or letter of acceptance
    3. Software will only be discounted online.

3. crispymacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much, it says you need a valid student card to order online, is that just a normal student union card. its my sister whose at university.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've never been carded for online purchases. I just made sure my e-mail was an education one.

I suggest that your sister order the Apple products for herself and "give" them to you.

5. macguymike macrumors 6502

Also, some campuses sell software and hardware at discounted rates at their bookstore. I know both Long Beach and Riverside do this.

6. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

The software is actually way more discounted in the bookstores on your campus. At least this is the case at Michigan State University where you can get office for like $40, and iLife is dirt cheap too..

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I advise this as well. Campus stores generally have much better pricing than Apple stores when it comes to software and other goodies. It's worth checking out (most have their own online web pages now).

8. coldplay macrumors newbie

its good to know students can enjoy discount at a local store.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well it's not "local" stores per se, it's their own campus bookstore/computer store. The schools generally subsidize the price so a lot of stuff is really a good deal sometimes (Office for $20, Photoshop at insanely low prices, etc). The thing is, it all depends on your school. Some are more generous than others.

10. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Indeed. The campus stores usually beat anyone on software. Adobe has "student license" editions for much of their software, and the discounts are pretty crazy. Also, these campus stores can sometimes get prices even better than Apple's regular academic pricing. I worked at UC Berkeley's campus computer store for about two years, and we would sometimes run deals where we would bundle AppleCare with some of the computers at a reduced price. Needless to say these proved popular. ;)

Also, the campus stores will usually require you to show your student ID, so take that with you if you decide to buy.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ahh yes TSW always wants your ID. But I love how you know that an update is imminent...all the computers get the "special UCB pricing" tag on them. :p