More than 1,000 young American women have been raped in Peace Corps

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by HyperX13, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

Bleeding hearts - be careful out there:

More than 1,000 young American women have been raped or sexually assaulted in the last decade while serving as Peace Corps volunteers in foreign countries, an ABC News 20/20 investigation has found.

In some cases, victims say, the Peace Corps has ignored safety concerns and later tried to blame the women who were raped for bringing on the attacks.

"I have two daughters now and I would never ever let them join the Peace Corps," said Adrianna Ault Nolan of New York, who was raped while serving in Haiti.

She is one of six rape and sexual assault victims who agreed to tell their stories, in hopes the Peace Corps will do a better job of volunteer training and victim counseling. The report will be broadcast Friday night on 20/20.

In the most brutal attack, Jess Smochek, 29, of Pennsylvania was gang raped in Bangladesh in 2004 by a group of young men after she says Peace Corps officials in the country ignored her pleas to re-locate her.

"They all took turns raping me," she told ABC News. "They raped me with their bodies,. They raped me with foreign objects."

Smochek says the group began to stalk her and tried to kiss her and touch her from the very first day she arrived at the city where she was assigned.

"Every day we felt unsafe. And we reported everything, we just kept reporting," she said in an interview with five other former volunteers who also were rape or sexual assault victims.

She says the gang rape took place just hours after a Peace Corps safety official filed a report with the local police but again ignored her pleas for re-assignment.

She says the young men knew she had complained to the police.

"They slammed me against the wall and just started threatening me, they're calling me a filthy American whore," she said. "'We told you to stop going to the police. And now we have to kill you,'" she said.

"I was in so much pain that I just told them, 'Just kill me. Please. Just do it.'" Smochek was left unconscious in a back alley.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/peace-corps-gang-rape-volunteer-jess-smochek-us/story?id=12599341

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

And with this opening sentence, OP, you set a disturbing tone, essentially implying the volunteer is potentially complicit. Whe one volunteers to help his/her fellow human being, rape should not be one of the potential downsides.

3. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Huh? implicit? No way. If you feel like volunteering, be careful. Lot's of young people (and I was a bleeding heart liberal in school as well, and then I made money and of course turned conservative) go to Peace Corps not really realizing that evil like this exists. This is just a warning to those that too.

4. 184550 Guest

That's not what he meant and that's not what the saying even means. :rolleyes:

As for the article, yet another reason why I would never join the Peace Corps.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That's actually a pretty good record when compared to the US military...

To put these cases in perspective, there were 2,947 reports of sexual assaults in the military in 2006, an increase in reports of 24% over 2005.

1000 rapes or sexual assaults over a decade, vs. 2,947 in one year.

Just what point are you trying to make Hyper?

6. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Huh? The definition you referenced backs up eawmp1s point.

"A Bleeding heart is an informal label applied to someone regarded as excessively liberal, sympathetic or both. It is typically considered as a derogatory remark."

7. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

One is a peaceful organization that should not be subject to the rapings. and two wrongs dont make a right.

8. iShater, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

iShater macrumors 604

iShater

That is one of the most messed up responses I have ever read on these forums, and I have been reading things here for almost a decade.

The type of organization shouldn't make a difference. Your news link is a disturbing revelation, and I thank you for bringing it to our attention.

However, your words, your introductory remark and the rest of your comments indicate to me that you don't give a flying duck about the people impacted by this, it just comes across as a poorly veiled attempt to use a real news item to bring up some hidden political statement. :rolleyes:

9. barkomatic, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's terrible that those rapes happened. However, I think there is an obvious inherent risk in working in a potentially unstable foreign country. How can the Peace Corp guarantee anyone's safety? In many of the locations served there isn't even a functioning police department--yet it seems some young people think they will be working in some type of safe bubble while they are there.

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Totally. It is like travel abroad to any similar areas, you have to really watch out for yourself. The organizations that send people abroad typically work with any staff (paid or volunteers) on safety protocols, etc. The question here, is what can be done more to educate people and ensure their safety.

11. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, the thread is about rapings that happen in Peace Corps. This is not about military rapings. Not sure why anyone would bring that up unless there was a political motive. I am saying, for those, like me, who have kids, have them read this and weigh your options.

This thread is not about rape not pedophilia.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I wonder what how many state dept. workers are assaulted? How about expatriate workers?

hyper's point seems to be that anytime you step outside of US borders, you will be raped and assaulted so rather than see what the world looks like, you should hide at home and constantly be afraid.

It's so sad that the right's message is continually one of fear.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What does homosexuality have to do with pedophilia?

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

What?!

15. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. Same as homosexuality reference in Peace Corps rape thread.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, that didn't answer my question.

What do the two have to do with each other? Are you implying that gay people are pedophiles or some BS like that?

17. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Sorry but after your little rant in the gay thread it's hard not to question your motives in other threads that you start.

No, i think he meant that they have nothing to do with eachother, the same way as what i said has nothing to do with a thread about rape. But i felt the need to say it because after some of his previous posts in another thread its hard to take him seriously.

18. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why, you guilty of something? Is that why you know so much about being constitutionally quiet and not talk to the police, as in the CAIR thread?

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You made a statement associating homosexuality to pedophilia. I am simply asking you to explain it.

20. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I am sorry you made the statement about that. And I quote:

Why would you even say that? Is that something you think about?

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Ummm... because comparing and contrasting are fundamental ways to gain perspective on issues?

If you're going to paint the Peace Corp as some dangerous organization which puts women at risk, doesn't it help to find out they are 29 times more likely to be raped or assaulted in the military?

Here, try this one on for size...

There were an average of 51,000 rapes and sexual assaults occurring in the workplace each year from 1992 through 1996

You're almost making the Peace Cortp sound like a (relatively) safe haven.

22. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

1 rape is one too many. In the military, if you have been raped, you can go to someone and be safe (MPs, commanding officer, etc). In the Peace Corps, you can be left alone even after the event - thus creating a much more dangerous situation. No one talks about Peace Corps and the dangers. This is a good conversation to have.

23. miloblithe, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011

miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The issue seems largely to be about being willing to relocate Peace Corps volunteers if they feel or are being physically threatened. Peace Corps is usually pretty set on volunteers staying in the location where they are assigned. Volunteers should not be allowed to request relocation, say, to be closer to their buddies, be in a more fun coastal town or closer to the capital, or to be closer to someone they began a relationship with during training. But Peace Corps should be more reasonable about sites that are not working out for serious reasons.

And Peace Corps could definitely do better on security trainings, although this is something they take very seriously already. I have a hard time believing they wouldn't do well on counseling. My group's Peace Corps doctors were excellent.

People in the Peace Corps certainly talk about the dangers.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Riiiiiiiiiiite.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

^This.

All the rest he spouts is just incendiary crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.