More than half of ACA co-ops now out of marketplace

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thewap, Feb 3, 2016.

1. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem with the ACA is that it needed 100% enrollment to work properly. That and the fact that the insurance companies have undercut the system means it will crumble under it's current form.

Insurance companies have jacked up rates so high to make it unaffordable to the people that need it most. The worst idea was giving insurance companies the power to control the ACA.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And here in NY, several dozen new choices were added.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if you like your plan, you can keep it..........

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm sure the GOP will cheer if it collapses, yelling manically "SEE?", while never offering an alternative. Hint, they don't want any form of UHC, which this btw is not. And relying on insurance companies to set the rules, brilliant! :rolleyes: This can only work if it's regulated. The market is too off kilter to work on it's own with conditions as they currently are.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Swiss system, the only "go between" that will somewhat resemble what we have now (minus employer provided health insurance) and a full on single payer system.

7. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

If they're jacking up rates, why are they still taking huge losses? UnitedHealth is projecting a $1 BILLION loss on ACA plans, and Aetna lost a lot just last quarter. All the big companies are questioning the sustainability of this system. This is going to get worse before it gets better (if it gets better).

http://ww2.cfo.com/health-benefits/2016/02/aetna-suffers-loses-affordable-care-act-business/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/aetna-profit-rises-38-1454326988

I wonder what "regulatory moves" he's talking about. Taxpayer funding, perhaps?

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The ACA is a program that is owned 100% by the democrats. It fails, it's because of them. Maybe, just maybe, if you're going to tackle a monstrosity of a system like our healthcare system you shouldn't adhere to principles such as "We have to pass it to find out what's in it" and "Ram it through because Coakley (the idiot) didn't win Kennedy's seat. It was a bill that was a down the line party vote. Obama and the democrats invited who they wanted to the table, so if the insurance lobby was given too much power in all of this, that's on the democrats.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Undercut the ACA? The insurance companies wrote it.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yeah we can have a political party who tries or the GOP leadership style of sitting on their rumps shaking their heads no, with zero ideas, unless there is a red button they can push. That's always perceived a good option. ;)

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

My point is the ACA's shortcomings can't be hung around the necks of anyone but the democrats. We also don't know what the republicans would have brought, they were completely shut out of the discussions.

12. thewap thread starter macrumors demi-god

thewap

I believe the only way to keep the insurance companies under control is to repeal ACA, and allow citizens to choose insurance in any state. This would create free market insurance competition that would lead to lowering medical costs across the board.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yes they did, if they don't like the outcome and profits aren't as high as they hoped, tough ****. They had a heavy hand in it and they have what they have because they were terrified of the public option. They know they will all go under if they have to compete against a system where profits aren't even in the discussion.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That's just how they wanted it. Scream and yell, while not offering any serious ideas. Btw, what's wrong with a market place where insurance companies compete with each other for business? The real fix is a overhaul of the US health and legal system. Would you say the GOP is up for that- No? I did not think so.

15. thewap, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016

thewap thread starter macrumors demi-god

thewap

New data on health care premium costs released by the Department of Health and Human Services Wednesday has been analyzed and scrutinized by experts across the nation. The data shows that Americans will pay an average of $328 a month for a middle tier health plan, while other analysis shows that health costs may go up for younger Americans under the Affordable Care Act.

• Based on a Manhattan Institute analysis of data released by the Department of Health and Human Services, insurance rates for younger men will increase by an average of 97 to 99 percent, while they will increase by an average of 55 to 62 percent for younger women.
    • Worst of all states, North Carolina will see individual market rates triple for women and quadruple for men.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There is no reason to have 30 different plans per exchange. We need one plan with the same premiums and same deductibles across the board. Why should I pay $6000 out of pocket and still have to pay a monthly premium.

Everyone across the country should pay the same amount into it and everyone should get the same thing out of it. There should be no reason to have to shop for insurance like I am buying a car. I don't want the luxury package, I want to be able to live and not have to pay extra for the treatments.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

some people need the luxury package.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Democrats had from 2008-2010 to do whatever the hell they pretty much wanted. ;) In one hand you claim the GOP never offers any serious ideas and in the other you ask what's wrong with insurance companies competing against each other. THAT has been the main principle the GOP has always put forth (probably the only one), open everything up so that companies can sell and compete across state lines. Make one big pot as opposed to 50 individual pots.

Overhaul the US health and legal system (Lawyers are the root of 80% of what's wrong with this country), be my guest. Would the GOP be up for it? Probably no more than the Democrats as the GOP doesn't have the trial lawyers on locked down, actually far from it.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why, we all should have the luxury insurance package. There should be no packages, it should just be called insurance.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 3, 2016 ---
    The GOP would never agree to getting rid of insurance companies. That is what we need. And why should these companies be publicly traded?

20. thewap thread starter macrumors demi-god

thewap

BoxerGT2.5 said:
    Open everything up so that companies can sell and compete across state lines. Make one big pot as opposed to 50 individual pots. (individual monopolies)
    [/QUOTE]

This!

21. MacNut, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

No, you open it up to UHC, everyone pays into it, everyone can take out of it. No insurance companies involved at all.

22. thewap thread starter macrumors demi-god

thewap

No, you open it up to UHC, everyone pays into it, everyone can take out of it. No insurance companies involved at all.[/QUOTE]

Getting rid of insurance companies in health care is probably a really good idea. The problem lies with *everybody pays into it (UHC)* in these economic times, but then that issue can be taken cared of at state level charitable programs.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You keep medicare/medicade for those that need it. But for the average person who can afford to pay reasonably into a fund they get the UHC pot.

24. thewap thread starter macrumors demi-god

thewap

and keep the insurance option open for the 1% that want the royal treatment.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

A good but impractical verification would be to give Republican's, Democrats, and Independents, each free reign for 40 years and see where we ends up in each case. Yeah, hardcore fantasy. The problem with a democracy is that it is pulled every which way based on groups of citizen's selfishness. That's the only way to put it. I have this or want that, and that's all that matters. I say this a lot, but in our approach to civilization, society, and governance, we desperately need more "we" and less "me".