More than Half the British Population Doesn't Accept Theory of Evolution...

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
The BBC is reporting that more than half the British population does not accept the theory of evolution:
Furthermore, more than 40% of those questioned believe that creationism or intelligent design should be taught in school science lessons.
What wasn't clear to me from the article was whether creationism and/or intelligent design are currently taught (alongside evolution) in British schools.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Lyle said:
The BBC is reporting that more than half the British population does not accept the theory of evolution:
What wasn't clear to me from the article was whether creationism and/or intelligent design are currently taught (alongside evolution) in British schools.
44% said creationism should be included
41% intelligent design
69% wanted evolution as part of the science curriculum.
Participants over 55 were less likely to choose evolution over other groups.
It's unremarkable that those least likely to have children in school were also the least likely to choose evolution. Older people are naturally more conservative. It also raises the question of who should choose, parents or society at large.

It would be better to have a clearer idea of how the questions were represented and what percentage of those questioned identified as religious. Nonetheless, it shows that the Brits are just as confused as Americans when it comes to science.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
I'm also ashamed - I've always ridiculed the fact that parts of America are determined to believe in this nonsense, and now it's catching on over here. :mad:

toontra

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
Kernow said:
I'm also ashamed - I've always ridiculed the fact that parts of America are determined to believe in this nonsense, and now it's catching on over here. :mad:
Quite! I find these results very surprising - I'd like to know more about the methodology.

If accurate, this is a disturbing portent. As far as I know these people don't have any organised political representation at the moment. I presume they are mainly Christian fundamentalists.

Religion is causing enough trouble around the world at the moment. Let's try and hang on to our sanity here.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
see,see we're as dumb as you nah nah nah.Mind you I don't know where they got these nutters from,for its certainly not true of London(except for those nutters outside tube stations with megaphones) smacks of PR for the beeb TV show.:rolleyes:

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
What sensationalist crap. From 2000 people... we get half the population. :rolleyes:

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
iGav said:
What sensationalist crap. From 2000 people... we get half the population. :rolleyes:
Nice to see you back Gav.

It's not a representational sample true, but this merely confirms what I have long suspected...

The majority of the public is stupid...

and ugly...

and fat...

...probably.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
WinterMute said:
Nice to see you back Gav.

It's not a representational sample true, but this merely confirms what I have long suspected...

The majority of the public is stupid...

and ugly...

and fat...

...probably.
Don't forget "and with the urgent need of dental work".:D

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I tend to believe it's more along the lines of more than 50% of the British population doesn't understand the theory of evolution.

A layman's understanding of Darwin's theory is so superfluous that it's easily challenged by the simply constructed, apparently convincing (albeit completely non-sequitur) creationist/ID arguments.

Qoxiivi

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2005
London, UK
The majority of the population probably doesn't understand evolution. That, in my view, is mostly the reason. It's not like the majority of the population, after carefully mulling over the available evidence and supporting research surrounding both viewpoints, have decided in favour of creationism/ID. It's still deeply lamentable though.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
pseudobrit said:
It appears as though we have not yet cornered the market on dumb. We are out to an early lead, though.
Ah, you know those Brits, always a decade behind the US. Their obesity levels are only just now starting to equal what ours were 10 years ago. Hmmm, I wonder if there's a correlation there. The obesest states seem to be the most religious according to The American Obesity Association .

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Gee, things are going so well.

Half of US and Britain now refuse to accept evolution.

Canada has elected a conservative government.

The US, stuck in a horrible quagmire, is running out of soldiers.

Bush signs executive order giving himself broader martial law powers.

ECHELON is listening to everything.

Hamas has taken power democratically.

* (shoots self) *

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Thomas Veil said:
Gee, things are going so well.
You guys think I'm joking when I say that these are signs of the apocalypse. It's coming faster than I expected. I keep telling you, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. ;)