More trouble for News Corp.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Happybunny, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Happybunny, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

We need a good thread about this. There has been far too little talk about the leveson inquiry. I must say that I am rather enjoying watching these people squirm. Things are certainly going to heat up over the course of the year.

3. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, public interest dies off in the end. Whilst these guys are getting (quite rightfully) roasted, people arent as interested as before. Ofcourse its unrealistic to expect front page coverage from start to finish, but just like the wikileaks thing, people lost interest after awhile.

4. Happybunny thread starter macrumors 68000

While I am happy that the Murdock press is being put under the spotlight.:D

I worry that after the inquiry, that press freedom might be diminished, which would not be good for democracy. :(

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The standards just need pulling-up.

Always a wise course of action when showing butt-crack.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The problem is that NewsCorp has no standards at all. The story is the only thing that matters and given the size and political reach of NC, the only possible solution to this is to put strict limits on media ownership in the UK. NC owns too much of the media landscape in Britain and with that ownership comes a sense of immunity from the law.

The breadth of this scandal is amazing. To think that for a decade or more NC did what it wanted, when it wanted and where it wanted and modern democratic rule be damned.

Rupert and his son James have so obviously lied in their testimony to the government that it is painful to watch the UK bend so far over and willingly be reamed by these two sociopaths.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Huh. Surprised that Murdoch didn't close the Sun the next day. :D

I'm sure we'll hear all about how the company is vitally interested in ethics, is monitoring the situation, will put safeguards in place, blah blah blah.

I'm sure News Corp will handle the situation just as well as the tech companies are handling Foxconn.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Guardian

If this is true, then Murdoch is going to also have to deal with American justice. Any American company found guilty of bribing a foreign official will face huge fines and possible imprisonment.

9. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This story just keeps getting worse.

My emphasis.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I don't see how the Murdochs will be able to escape prosecution in the USA. James is obviously guilty at the very least of gross mismanagement. It boggles the mind to think that he never read the details of his attorneys' assessment of the situation but only the outline.

I find it curious that the US Justice Dept. hasn't said anything recently. Perhaps this is part of Obama's war plan? Sinking Rupert's and Ailes' ship would be a major victory for justice in the US.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think it's still partly that the investigation is still underway, unearthing new details, and part that he doesn't want to give Republicans the chance to call it an election year witch hunt.

Wait until after November. Then we'll probably hear more from DOJ.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They will do just as politician do.

"Don't tell me anything I might not want to know down the road."

It works. Bring on the lie-detector. ;)

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Will they get Piers Morgan in again after they interviewed heather Mills and found out she never authorised him to access her voicemails?

I think he should be charged. Watching that worm the first time round was pretty satisfying viewing, but I could do with a top-up :D

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

James has stepped down as the head of News International, the UK newspaper group.

I knew it was only a matter of time. He and his slimeball father are surely going down.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Just heard that on the radio. (What??)

He is now focusing on other media, World-wide.

I think he's getting his passport in order, so watch him. :mad:

17. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Yep, looks like he's off to TV land, where standards seldom exist. He should fit right in.

18. Peterkro, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Another of those arrested was Mark Hanna director of group security at News International.The raids were coordinated and took place between 5 and 7am which suggests plod were serious.It brings to mind Wades (Brooks) saying to staff at the closure of the News of the World something along the lines of "a year from now you will understand why we had to close the paper".Hopefully some of these people will do jail time.I imagine it has to do with the attempted deletion of "data pool three" which contained millions of emails.

21. Happybunny thread starter macrumors 68000

The one thing that I find very disturbing, is that the Sun still remains the UK's largest paper. This means that it still has a very loyal readership.

22. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

So do we need a Fifth Estate to keep tabs on the Fourth Estate?

23. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain