More typing mistakes on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by meghan6, Oct 13, 2012.

1. meghan6 macrumors newbie

Does anyone find it harder to type on the iPhone 5? I have way more typing mistakes when writing emails/texts on the iPhone 5 than I did on the 4. I have no idea why this would be the case, but I've actually talked to two other people who share the same opinion so hopefully that means I'm not crazy. :) Any idea why the keyboard would have different sensitivity on the 5?

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

It might still be learning your typing style. I'm not experiencing the same.

Did you set the phone up as new, or did you reset the keyboard or anything?

3. children macrumors regular

vertically it should be the same, but horizontally, its only natural your fingers need to adjust. Incase you didn't notice, with the longer screen, the keypad has grown too. (no, I'm not calling you an idiot)

Sensitivity is pretty much spot on for me

4. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

You're 100% right. The touch sensitivity of the iPhone 5 is definitely worse than in previous models. I've run a bunch of tests on multiple iPhone 5's compared to older models and it seems that the new in-cell display is much worse when it comes to recognizing rapid inputs (like typing).

For anyone that isn't aware the in-cell display allowed Apple to combine the touchscreen layer with the display layer, giving consumers a slimmer handset profile. Unfortunately it seems that this new display technology also made usability worse.

5. 725032 Guest

I tried a friends and it was horrible.

All these problems have really put me off the 5

Apple have a lot of work to do

6. dmelgar macrumors 68000

No problems here.
    I had a iPhone 3G that I could type on very fast. I then had an HTC incredible and HTC thunderbolt. I couldn't type on them at all. I gave up typing on phones. Even with a relatively giant screen.

Now I have an iPhone 5 and can type amazingly well again. I don't know exactly how apple gets the keyboard to work so well. I can almost type faster than on an iPad.

7. randyj macrumors regular

randyj

I agree too.
    Have made so many mistakes with typing, selecting etc with the new phone.
    Had an iphone since 2007, so know the phone well. Moved from a 4 to 5.
    Thought it was just me.
    One thing that really highlighted it was playing the game Lux touch.
    Old phone was perfect, new one I click wrong countries by mistake.
    This is also my 2nd iphone 5 too. Both displayed same behavior.
    First had dodgy banding on the screen that had darker and lighter lines across the screen. Apple swaped it in store.

8. Kung macrumors member

I have absolutely no problems other than the fact that the last 2 or 3 letters of my email are close to the delete key, and so I usually end up typing my email addy minus a letter or two. LOL

But as far as speed? Mine's faster and more accurate than previously.

9. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I had the same problem initially, lots of typing mistakes and was generally slower. However, it's because I set it up as new. 2 weeks in, it has learnt my typing style so back to normal speed and accuracy again. :)

10. Dukat macrumors regular

The keyboard occasionally doesn't respond and requires 2 or 3 presses before it works.

11. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I think I'm getting used to the size since its skinnier so I feel that I'm adjusting.

12. dmelgar macrumors 68000

It's not skinnier. Just taller.

13. kolax macrumors G3

When I used it at the Apple Store it felt fine. I've got 3 weeks till mine is delivered. Hopefully this isn't a real issue and is just a case of getting used to.

14. darkside flow macrumors 6502

No, it's also skinnier.

15. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I am experiencing the typing errors, the occurrence is higher.
    I believe that because the phone is longer we place our fingers in a different and less natural way to counter the weight as we did with the previous models.
    So typing with the thumbs is requiring moving them a little bit more in the downward direction when the iPhone 5 is in portrait mode.
    Also if you have the earphones connected while typing they add another condition not present before.
    I am coming from an iPhone 4, therefore the availability of the voice dictation is a nice feature to try instead of typing, but obviously it doesn't fulfill all my keyboard needs, as I don't like talking out loud everything I want to type.

16. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I also notice more typing mistakes. Frustrating at times.....

17. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

18. millerhifi macrumors regular

I agree! I've had all the iPhones. I'm pretty fast at typing historically over the years and for some reason on the 5 I keep missing letters or its not responding to my key presses. Little annoying.

19. Joesmith13245 macrumors regular

I'm having issues as well. Although I think it's more related to the autocorrect feature.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with Autocorrect. Since the iPhone5/IOS 6 it's been more hate.

20. maclook macrumors 65816

I type really bad on cropped 3.5" apps like Skype. It's weird how I know where buttons should be based on the distance from the bottom of the phone so when there's an extra black bar added between the keyboard and bottom of the phone, I'm constantly missing the space bar.

21. Bahroo macrumors 68000

I think the keyboard learns your mistakes and typing habits because i have seen the accuracy of the keyboard go up more and more ever since i got the iphone 5..or maybe im just getting used to it but i can type very quick on this phone regardless

22. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

Yep - lots of mistakes coming from an i4. I'm starting to get used to the i5 though. The autocorrect is a little different.

23. RPurdie macrumors newbie

I think there is a software interface problem. It's almost a downgrade from the iPhone4. I don't think it's the touch screen sensitivity.

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I have the opposite problem. When I use my iPhone 5 and then use my girlfriends iPhone 4S, the thickness of the phone screws with my typing speed. Its really weird, but true.

25. Darryjr macrumors regular

Darryjr

I find that the iPhone 5 can't keep up with my typing,and I am
    by no means a speed demon typed. I could finish a sentence and my words are still being processed as I wait. This has never happened with any other device I have used.