More would switch from Windows to Mac if Apple advertised mo...

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Of course more people would switch if Apple advertised more effectively. People won't do something when they don't even really know that the possibility exists, let alone what the benefits are. Apple's kind of in a tough position with regards to advertising that Macs are unsusceptible to viruses, because the first time a real Mac virus is released, people will be mad at them for false advertising. The can certainly advertise the other benefits of owning a Mac, like stability, features that aren't available in Windows, ease of use, etc. I wish they'd do more of that on TV.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
This guy doesn't sound intelligent at all. DSL faster than cable? :confused: DSL is the best solution for 10 years from now? Hasn't this guy heard about internet over power lines? Internet over power lines will provide speeds of 10MB per second. This technology will be as prevalent as cable is today and cable will be the standard (replacing dial-up) soon, not DSL. DSL is NOT faster than cable.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't know about in the US, but here in NZ DSL is definitely more popular. 98% coverage for DSL vs something like 5% for cable.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Nermal said:
I don't know about in the US, but here in NZ DSL is definitely more popular. 98% coverage for DSL vs something like 5% for cable.
Along the similar vein (vane?) at my old house, we couldn't get high speed internet until last summer-- when DSL finally got close enough. Cable? Not accessible for a looooong time. Now we're using cable. Sniff. Miss my satellite tv, though. :eek:

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Let me get this straight... If this reporter is to be believed, people at the state fair spontaneously stopped by to talk to a news reporter about any topic of their choosing. And their choice was...

1. Local politics?
2. National politics?
3. Rising price of gasoline?
4. How to help recovery efforts in the wake of Hurricane Katrina?

No. No. Far too obvious.

Why, the No. 1 concern was.....

The biggest concern, as you might guess, was the increasing vulnerability of Windows PCs and what could be done about it.
:confused:

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Nermal said:
That is because Cat 5 copper is existing and or can be installed in an office for a vastly cheaper price than Fibre. I think fibre works out to about $10 a metre and probably much more like $100 a metre or more when being installed in the street via tunneling. The signal down copper is good for 90 metres from point of origin but I understand that copper currently is limited to the lower Gigabits in max bandwith capacity. Fibre although currently vastly more expensive than copper has a much higher data throughput of multi -10/100/1000 Gigabits per second via DWDM (dense wavelength division multiplexing or data travelling over the many different available wavelengths of light to get to its destination for industrial commercial backbone networks. Thank George Gilder of Gilder Technology for that explanation)

That is why it is still cheaper to max out the bandwidth over copper on existing networks rather than use the bandwith over fibre. Although most new subdivisions now get fibre laid with copper networks running up to your front door generally speaking.

Please note that the prices I have quoted are only very vague estamites based on conversations with the guys installing cat 5 cable where I worked back in 2002/03.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Yes, it would be better, but last time Apple tried to market summat other than the iPod, they got sued for doing so

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
winmacguy said:
That is because Cat 5 copper is existing and or can be installed in an office for a vastly cheaper price than Fibre. I think fibre works out to about $10 a metre and probably much more like $100 a metre or more when being installed in the street via tunneling. The signal down copper is good for 90 metres from point of origin but I understand that copper currently is limited to the lower Gigabits in max bandwith capacity. Fibre although currently vastly more expensive than copper has a much higher data throughput of multi -10/100/1000 Gigabits per second via DWDM (dense wavelength division multiplexing or data travelling over the many different available wavelengths of light to get to its destination for industrial commercial backbone networks. Thank George Gilder of Gilder Technology for that explanation)

That is why it is still cheaper to max out the bandwidth over copper on existing networks rather than use the bandwith over fibre. Although most new subdivisions now get fibre laid with copper networks running up to your front door generally speaking.

Please note that the prices I have quoted are only very vague estamites based on conversations with the guys installing cat 5 cable where I worked back in 2002/03.
Huh? but cable uses coax cable not fibre? and dsl is only copper until the exchange then its fibre from then on?

Also isnt fibre cheaper than copper? i know its cheaper in terms of bandwidth.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
NicP said:
Huh? but cable uses coax cable not fibre? and dsl is only copper until the exchange then its fibre from then on?

Also isnt fibre cheaper than copper? i know its cheaper in terms of bandwidth.
Not any more, since when was DSL fibre to your home? and yes, it is cheaper

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
ahh ok, didnt know that, our cable it oldskool

never said dsl was fibre to your doorstep, only between exchanges

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I know that I've been just as bad as you guys (if not worse), but could we please get back on topic again :)

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Nermal said:
I know that I've been just as bad as you guys (if not worse), but could we please get back on topic again :)
I guess we are the advertisers for Apple. It is our job to spread the gospel truth. ;) :D

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
mac_2005 said:
Let me get this straight... If this reporter is to be believed, people at the state fair spontaneously stopped by to talk to a news reporter about any topic of their choosing. And their choice was...

1. Local politics?
2. National politics?
3. Rising price of gasoline?
4. How to help recovery efforts in the wake of Hurricane Katrina?

No. No. Far too obvious.

Why, the No. 1 concern was.....

:confused:
I'm from the Syracuse area, this guy is a tech writer for a local paper in Syracuse, and known to be. There'd be not really a good reason why a area tech writer would be fielding questions about politics or gas prices.

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
GodBless said:
This guy doesn't sound intelligent at all. DSL faster than cable? :confused: DSL is the best solution for 10 years from now? Hasn't this guy heard about internet over power lines? Internet over power lines will provide speeds of 10MB per second.
Have you heard of ADSL2, and bonded ADSL2? ADSL2 will provide around 12Mbps, and bonded around 25Mbps. And it can use the existing copper infrastructure. Internet over powerlines still has multiple issues, therefore not rolled out yet to the masses. Cable for sure can not provide that capacity. They have enough bandwidth issues with HDTV. But than again, h.264 may provide enough relief for them to split of a bigger slice for Internet access.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
its true that people don't know even basic stuff about macs, like the fact that they don't run windows, that there aren't any current viruses, that they make office for mac. All that most people know is that "they don't run most software" and that a lot of professional artists (music, movies, design) use macs.

Apple really does need to advertise their beatifully designed hardware as well as its rock solid / user friendly operating system. People just don't know.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
But how soon will this be available to the general public.
MarcelV said:
Have you heard of ADSL2, and bonded ADSL2? ADSL2 will provide around 12Mbps, and bonded around 25Mbps. And it can use the existing copper infrastructure. Internet over powerlines still has multiple issues, therefore not rolled out yet to the masses. Cable for sure can not provide that capacity. They have enough bandwidth issues with HDTV. But than again, h.264 may provide enough relief for them to split of a bigger slice for Internet access.
Fact is DSL is now laggin behind cable. Cable is up to 8Mbps RIGHT NOW. As far as More people who switch if apple advertised more...well i dont see how it could hurt them.

2GMario

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2004
i thought this was a post about Windows vs Apple and no DSL vs Cable ?

anyways...

what about the fact that there are 4 major pc vendors (dell, hp, gateway and ibm), not even including microsoft, compared to a lonley apple ?

thats all hell of alot more marketing power than apple has. even if u see a dell advert, your un knowledged gen. user is gonna ask the local nerd which is better, dell or hp, etc... not apple or um... apple

back on the subject i guess, here in Buffalo (3-4 hours from syracuse) DSL and cable advertise pretty back to back. were still on adelphia till comcast and time warner take their shares.

and inregards to fiber vs copper, recently when the jackoff's put in a new fence for the new plaza they were building behind my sub devision, they cut the fiber line that runs behind my house that feeds our local copper lines.

-Mario

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'd agree ignorance is one of the biggest detractors for switchers. I get some of the strangest questions from people. My brother and I have both had people come up to us and ask if my iBook G4 (I leant it to him for a while) had a colour screen...

MarcelV said:
Have you heard of ADSL2...

I have ADSL2+ and it's not even close to 10MB/s (mega bytes) per second but rather about 2.2MB/s, or 18Mbps (mega bits) but is claimed to go at 24Mbps. :)

OhEsTen

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
mad jew said:
I'd agree ignorance is one of the biggest detractors for switchers.
Totally true. People still think that Apple is on the brink of BK, that you can only read and write word files on an IBM pc and that they are "only artist's computers". The unfortunate thing about it though is that Apple DID advertise. Remember their whole "Switch" campaign? Even though the commercials (and idea) wasn't bad at all - it didn't get the real important points accross. Apple needs to advertise more effectively.

The writer of the article is spot on. And I hope his bout with cancer bodes well.

And as a side experience: I had DSL in my office 3 years ago - it sucked! Only got about 280k. Had Cable since and am getting mostly 3600k! But my cable provider is terrible! Service goes out regularly and during the weekends the bandwidth will trickle down to about 380k. The NEW DSL that a couple of friends have is much, much better than that of a few years ago - they get a consistant 3200k and it costs less than cable - not too shabby.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
GodBless said:
This guy doesn't sound intelligent at all. DSL faster than cable? :confused: DSL is the best solution for 10 years from now? [...] DSL is NOT faster than cable.
Depends on who your providers are (and their setups). Where I live, my current DSL provider is faster then my old cable provider. By at least 20%.

As for internet over power lines, there's other technicalities that (currently) prevent some countries from doing it (either real technical hurdles, or legal ones).

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I've always wondered why Apple doesn't advertise more. After all it's a tax deduction. One thing that Apple does advertise broadly is the iPod, at least I se them everywhere here in Boston.