moreeeeeeee questions lol

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
1,704
0
'Toba, Canada
i know im annoying :p lol...
but MR is basically the best place to ask any mac ? :)
i was wondering what would be the "performance" difference of getting an emac (superdrive emac) or a high end 15" imac since they are the same specs (internal wise)...such as speed, stability, etc...
i tried looking around for an hr or 2 for canadian sites that have a powermac g4 (800 mhz) for sale..but no luck so far :(
at first i was thinking either low end emac or high end emac, low end emac i could get an ipod then, and if i got a high end emac, i'dd get a larger hard drive for less...so i didnt bother thinking bout getting a low end emac anymore...
i still want a powermac ALOT..but its just just way too much money to get :( (about $2700 CDN just for the tower :()...even though im moving out in late '03...
would the emac be awesome for games/dvds (superdrive)/listening to music? cuz i'll probably be getting a dvd for xmas (hopefully "the last waltz" (music concert) or some movie lol) and i dont want to end up using my pc a majority of the time for games/movies...even tho the emac could easily kick my pc's but if it had one :) (since my puter is already 3 years old..and emac even has a better vid card than my pc...but my dvd rom drive on my pc is 16x while the dvd-rom on the superdrive is only 6-8x :()
thanx
-SilvorX
hopefully switching soon...but i cant stop thinking :(
 

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
817
0
Get that 800 mhz superdrive eMac! 17" screen is bigger then iMac's 15" and CRT is a lot better for your eyes. Those LCD monitors are still imperfect (dead pixels, darker picture in some area's).
 

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
356
0
Originally posted by Megaquad
Get that 800 mhz superdrive eMac! 17" screen is bigger then iMac's 15" and CRT is a lot better for your eyes. Those LCD monitors are still imperfect (dead pixels, darker picture in some area's). [/QUOTE

No way that crt's are better for your yes.
lcd's release far less radiation and other stuff.
 

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
1,704
0
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by irmongoose
If you're willing to spend the money on it, there is no doubt the iMac is much better than the eMac... LCD screen, moving the screen, and it just simply looks much much better. That's what I think...

irmongoose
i dont mind crt vs lcd, but the high end 15" seems a lil pricy when compared to the high end emac...the imac being $2,649.00 CDN (lots of computer stores have it for $2799) (while the powermac is $2699) and the emac is $2,299.00

what is the speed difference for the powermac (low end) vs emac...would it be much since the powermac has ddr ram, or would it be near the same? and is the geforce 2mx card on the emac near as good as the graphics card on the powermac?
 

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
1,210
13
Louisville, KY
Didn't you say in an earlier post that your parents were getting you a Mac as a graduation present? If so, I have an idea for you.

First, don't buy anything until you graduate.
Second, get a job.
Third, save your money.
Fourth, have your parents buy you a PowerMac, you pay for the monitor, software, and any upgrades to RAM, etc...

Everyones happy, you get a great machine, and you prove that you've earned it.
 

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
1,704
0
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by RBMaraman
Didn't you say in an earlier post that your parents were getting you a Mac as a graduation present? If so, I have an idea for you.

First, don't buy anything until you graduate.
Second, get a job.
Third, save your money.
Fourth, have your parents buy you a PowerMac, you pay for the monitor, software, and any upgrades to RAM, etc...

Everyones happy, you get a great machine, and you prove that you've earned it.
i could TRY to do that lol...since the powermac is bout the same price as a high end 15" imac, but till then i could use the current monitor untill i can afford a new monitor, but i just cant wait till june anymore :(, i could easily wait back earlier this year, but since the first time i ever used a G4 PowerMac...i LOVED using it (ive used a pmac g3 but i forget how it was lol)
 

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
1,704
0
'Toba, Canada
still thinking :(...i doubt i'dd be able to get the powermac tower on its own tho...
what would be the benefit (either than screen and faster drive) of getting a combo drive imac over a superdrive emac, theyre the same price, emac has larger screen (while imac has lcd screen), emac has 60 gig drive, and imac has pro speakers...how well do pro speakers run?
ill try seeing what my dad thinks (cuz hes gonna try talking to my uncle also) and i cant seem to find any optical drive cases (usb/firewire) on macwarehouse and another canadian site i go to, only hard drive cases :(...so if i wanted an extra drive...either buy a $300 CDN drive or get a powermac would be the best choice...
 

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
10,288
0
I accidentally my whole location.
Apple's Pro speakers are pretty good for their size and price.
Not a whole lot of bass, but that's to be expected.
Since you seem to be torn between the iMac and the eMac, I'd say go for whichever one looks better in your eyes.:p
That is, unless you don't want to burn DVDs, in that case, go the eMac.:)

But if I were you, I'd try to talk your dad into getting the tower.
If he can see that it would be better in the long run, then he may go for it.
 

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by SilvorX

i dont mind crt vs lcd, but the high end 15" seems a lil pricy when compared to the high end emac...the imac being $2,649.00 CDN (lots of computer stores have it for $2799) (while the powermac is $2699) and the emac is $2,299.00

what is the speed difference for the powermac (low end) vs emac...would it be much since the powermac has ddr ram, or would it be near the same? and is the geforce 2mx card on the emac near as good as the graphics card on the powermac?
There is no comparring the dual 867 to any of the iMacs or eMacs in speed. The dual will more then double any of them in most areas.

On the question of which is faster the high end eMac or the middle iMac. Last months Macworld had a comparison of the two and they are almost exactly the same in all tests.
 

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
1,704
0
'Toba, Canada
lol i got that month's macworld..forgot that for a few hrs
but i was thinking how much better a geforce 4mx would be compared to the geforce 2mx

hopefully whatever i get i'll enjoy lol
would it be good to buy in november tho?
the "free printer" deal's long gone now :(...too bad it expired last week n not at the end of nov lol
 

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by SilvorX
lol i got that month's macworld..forgot that for a few hrs
but i was thinking how much better a geforce 4mx would be compared to the geforce 2mx

hopefully whatever i get i'll enjoy lol
would it be good to buy in november tho?
the "free printer" deal's long gone now :(...too bad it expired last week n not at the end of nov lol
Don't get imaptient the biggest computer selling time of the year is just around the corner around Christmas. There will be more specials without a doubt.
 

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
1,704
0
'Toba, Canada
probably lol, the good thing bout a mac is that even like a year or 2 after u buy it, its still not obsolete, while a pc it becomes obsolete in under a month...n i know ppl with 2.x ghz p4s whining that they want more....
 

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
1,704
0
'Toba, Canada
i have no need for burning dvds, i only like to watch em :D lol, combo drive sounds ALOT better deal compared to the superdrive
 

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
1,704
0
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by edvniow



Oops.:eek:
I meant to say it the opposite way. If you DO want to burn DVDs, go for the eMac.
lol its ok, i was asking someone if the powermac was a good deal to get or if i should just get an emac, and it sounds like the emac is the way to go...but im just afraid that it might be slow for games/dvds :(, and 700 mhz processor doesnt sound good :(...but then again its still faster than my pc...
 

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
10,288
0
I accidentally my whole location.
The dual will definately be better in games, plus it's expandable so you can upgrade the card when you need more power.
If you have access to a monitor, then I'd seriously try to talk your dad into the Powermac. It's the better choice in the long run.:)
 

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
1,704
0
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by edvniow
The dual will definately be better in games, plus it's expandable so you can upgrade the card when you need more power.
If you have access to a monitor, then I'd seriously try to talk your dad into the Powermac. It's the better choice in the long run.:)
i do have a pc dont i? lol...i'll have to talk to him around the first week of nov, i'll be going to a mac store *hopefully* n ill test out the emac/imac/powermac n see which one i should get....
the powermac is a lil pricy tho :(..i wish there was still a cd-rw model lol
 

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
10,288
0
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by SilvorX

i'll be going to a mac store *hopefully* n ill test out the emac/imac/powermac n see which one i should get....
That't probably the single best thing you can do right now to help you figure out which one to get.
Don't always take our word for it, sometimes you just have to try it out for your self.

But I will say that I'm unimpressed with the qualty of the eMac's screen.
My 15" flat Sony CRT that I bought off of eBay a couple years ago has a sharper picture.:rolleyes:

If you do go to a store soon, remember that you can open the case of the Powermacs while they're still running so you can peek inside.;)
 

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
1,704
0
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by edvniow


That't probably the single best thing you can do right now to help you figure out which one to get.
Don't always take our word for it, sometimes you just have to try it out for your self.

But I will say that I'm unimpressed with the qualty of the eMac's screen.
My 15" flat Sony CRT that I bought off of eBay a couple years ago has a sharper picture.:rolleyes:

If you do go to a store soon, remember that you can open the case of the Powermacs while they're still running so you can peek inside.;)
ya, i could try going to it this weekend but its a long drive :(, so i'll wait till the beginning of next month
when i saw the 17" emac screen it looked interesting...since its flat...but my eyes were mainly on a 933 powermac...i was drooling (not literally ;) lol) when i used it with osx...its niccccce lol...i really wanted an imac till about the time i saw the 933..damn theyre sweet....
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Originally posted by SilvorX

i do have a pc dont i? lol...i'll have to talk to him around the first week of nov, i'll be going to a mac store *hopefully* n ill test out the emac/imac/powermac n see which one i should get....
the powermac is a lil pricy tho :(..i wish there was still a cd-rw model lol

run xbench on all of the machines. You'll see pretty quickly which one is the best choice for you.
 

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
1,704
0
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by G5orbust



run xbench on all of the machines. You'll see pretty quickly which one is the best choice for you.
most of the puters probably wont be hooked up to the net, but the only computer i remember (mac) that was hooked up to the net was an imac (someone was using it) and the 933...
 

8thDegreeSavage

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
370
0
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I say forget the eMacs and iMacs and buy a discontinued Power Mac...i have a single Processor 867 QS Power Mac and i find it to be pretty kick ass still. And you can pick one of these up for really cheap nowadays,,,,look out for the 933 that ones a beauty....just pick up a new vid card and some ram and you will have a great machine...stay away from the new DDR macs till the next rev if you really want one of those.
 

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
1,704
0
'Toba, Canada
im trying to get ahold of a friend, seeing if hes thinking of selling his QS (he was saying he might sell his QS back in july) but no luck so far, i looked around for discontinued, but no luck so far..., i'll try phoning a local mac store soon asking if they still have any 933s or 800s...
but if no luck...emac here i come :S lol