Mormons Baptized Obama's Mother: CONFIRMED

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Sep 9, 2012.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thought we might get through the election without discussing planet Kolob.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/06/mormons-baptized-obamas-m_n_197707.html?

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I keep looking for the part where Huffpo says they got this from The Onion.

How the hell do you baptize a dead person?

Not even going to get into how you baptize someone if they're already baptized, or where they get the nerve to decide to do this.

Hmm. My dad's been gone for eleven years. I wonder if it's too late for him to make his First Communion?

3. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

4. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Exactly! And someone who believes they can shouldn't be President!

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Mormons are actually good people for the most part. I imagine nothing but good intentions.

Obama's mother was a Kansan.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What does being a Kansan have to do with anything ?

7. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Last June 4 -- the day after then-Sen. Obama secured enough delegates to win the Democratic presidential nominee -- someone had the president's mother Stanley Ann Dunham, who died in 1995 of cancer, baptized.
    On June 11, she received the endowment.

Can you point to where in the article it says the President believes one can, and did baptize his mother posthumously?

8. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

As the saying goes, hell is full of people with good intentions.

In any case, I've heard of this practice several times. Mormons would try to get hold of baptism records from other churches and communities in order to perform this posthumous baptism which is part of their faith. The means by which they seek to obtain these records, seem to involve some trickery/deception. I am not overly familiar with the subject but I remember a couple of years back of some issues with several Catholic churches having problems with the Mormons due to them trying to get baptism records.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I believe Coleman was referring to Romney

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    From what I understand based upon something I once heard a Mormon friend of mine say about 10 years ago, they can and regularly do perform posthumous baptisms for people they don't otherwise believe would make it to heaven. It's celestial extra insurance, and somewhat of a normal thing for them. Like magic underwear, and getting really-married.

I know there was a big hooplah about them doing it for Jewish people here a little while ago.

11. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

1 Corinthians 15:29-30
    King James Version (KJV)

Yes its in the Bible, not the onion - but as Im sure most are aware most people pick and chose what they want to believe out of the Bible.

The original article by ABC News says they were baptized into the church - thats not the LDS belief of what they are doing. The church teaches it gives them the chance to accept the baptism in the next life, it does not make them members (they believe everyone mush be baptized).

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

None of this will make a difference because people already voting for a Mormon are forsaking Christ to begin with. They are blind and fueled by hate.

13. Moyank24, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012

Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

FWIW, the Mormon church was extremely instrumental in the passing of Prop 8 in California. Their leadership sent an e-mail to it's members asking them to donate money and time. And what's worse, a lot of the money came from out of state - most notably, Utah.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

My home state, people from the area share similar values.

----------

There were many groups instrumental in the passing of prop 8. Do we want to go down that road?

15. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I have no problem going down that road. That Catholic Church, among others, also threw money at the campaign.

I was just responding to your assessment that they are "good people for the most part".

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That may be so but one thing they don't share is that zeal for the Mormon church.

17. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

People have their entire lives to decide to become Mormans and most respond with a resounding NO.

It's a shameful lack of respect for the rights and beliefs of others.

----------

Not merely Jewish people (as if that isn't bad enough), but Holocaust victims.

It's beyond disgusting.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As an atheist I think you are getting your panties in a bunch over nothing.

19. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Sounds like spiritual rape to me. People have plenty of time to settle on a religion themselves before they die or afterwards if they end up somewhere with a signup form.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

On a personal level, I could not care less. Whoever wants to pretend I belong to their religion when I'm dead can knock themselves out.

On a political level, it can't be good when people are reminded how nutty the religion is that Romney belongs to. Baptizing dead people who never belonged to your faith is just weird.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Praying at night to an invisible entity is less weird?

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ooooooohhhhh.

Nailed 'em :p

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It's not as weird as praying to TWO entities.

Mormon belief :

According to Mormons, a deviation from the original principles of Christianity, known as the Great Apostasy began not long after the ascension of Jesus Christ.[125] It was marked with the corruption of Christian doctrine by Greek and other philosophies,[126] with followers dividing into different ideological groups.[127] Mormons claim the martyrdom of the Apostles[128] led to a loss of Priesthood authority to administer the church and its ordinances.[129] Mormons believe that God restored the early Christian church through Joseph Smith. In particular, Mormons believe that angels such as Peter, James, John, and John the Baptist appeared to Joseph Smith and others and bestowed various Priesthood authorities on them. Mormons believe that their church is the "only true and living church" because of the divine authority restored through Smith.

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Apparently, a "Lamb of God" (LOG?) in good standing acts as proxy, being baptized by immersion on the, um, victim's behalf. They use a special baptismal font. I believe the one in Salt Lake City looks something like this:

[​IMG]

But us "Gentiles" would never have a hope of seeing an actual one.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's just as weird to me.

But to the people who pray to the invisible entity, Mormons are even weirder.

It doesn't help Romney's cause to remind them of that.