Mormons quit church in mass resignation ceremony

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jun 30, 2012.

1. leekohler, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Many Christians ask me what it will take to get their religion to change positions on certain things. Well, take a lesson from this. Leave. No one can take your faith from you. But you don't have to give your money to them. I predict this is not the last time we see this.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-utah-mormonsbre86000n-20120630,0,5340553.story

2. Jb07 macrumors 6502

Wow. That's good that they stood up to the Mormon church's overactivity in politics. I really don't get involved in the church any more. Most churches have fallen away from teaching the word of God to playing with politics. I hope more people come to realize that Organized Religion is just a big scam.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

If these people only had the courage to do this as a group, that speaks volumes. I really think we'll see more of this. A church is not a religion, the beliefs are. The people who left will still hold their beliefs.

4. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

If you need courage to leave your church, something is wrong.

5. leekohler, Jul 1, 2012

leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree.

Now, I've known several Mormons at work and socially. I consider them to be quite reasonable and progressive, actually. Much more so than some Christians I've known. So it comes as no surprise to me that this is happening.

Their involvement in Prop 8 made a lot of the Mormons I know quite angry. They told me they were always taught to let people know of their religion and ask if they want to join, but if people don't want to be a part of it, leave them alone. They told me that it was a huge part of what they're taught, and that Prop 8 involvement really went against that teaching. They were really upset- "This makes us look terrible! I would NEVER deny you marriage rights! That's not my business! I was always taught that our rules apply to us, and that's it."

I will confess, I was surprised to hear that. But that's just my experience. I will say this though, until Prop 8, I never once had a Mormon tell me I was going to hell for being gay. I've had many "Christians" and "Muslims" say that though. The "Muslims" being the worst. I've had many a heated exchange with "Muslim" cab drivers.

6. Happybunny, Jul 1, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

Of course on this side of the water, we have already had a christian break with his church.
    That was 1517 in Worms Germany. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther

Back on track that can only be a good thing, people beginning to think for themselves.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm a Christian, but this article represents precisely why I do not attend church. Churches are used to spread hate and prejudices by pastors who don't know how to read/understand their Bibles.

I'm glad to see this mass exodus of members. Hopefully others will follow suit.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm somewhat confused as to the purpose of the letters?

If they eschew the teachings of the church, why even bother with this nicety?

From the cited case, the church hardly showed that in return.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Not bad. 15,000 would have been a nicer number, though I won't complain. Activism is activism, not matter how small.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Has Harry Reid repudiated Mormonism? If not, then perhaps he isn't so principled after all.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Good for them. That religion is scary. Not that others aren't, but that particular one is very scary and there is a lot to it which I find disturbing. Perhaps one of the reasons I call it scary is the obedience, which is as strong as it gets and I tend to equate with following 'blindly'.

On a somewhat related note, I am surprised to see the republican party pick a mormon...generally people of stronger christian faith are republicans, and generally other christians categorize mormonism as a cult, and not a religion. So not sure how that will play out down the road...

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

None of these people left their religion. They left their church. For the record, Harry Reid does not let the church dictate his actions.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

I disagree. Most of the really devout Christians I know (including many Catholics) are Democrats. Also, as I've pointed out before, Harry Reid is a Mormon. I think that it is far more mainstream than people give it credit for being.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I tend to disagree as far as a blanket assertion, in that church is viewed as a social club that you are quitting. Even if your church friends are still friendly to you (which they may not be), you are still out where you used to be in. Of course some of that is the individual's perception.

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Good point...I overgeneralized. Catholics are likely to be democrats where as protestants are likely to be republicans. But since republicans comprise "the Christian Right", I think this will negatively impact Romney, as those are the people he has to convince to vote for him who likely view him is "not conservative enough". Mind you, I could be completely wrong so its just my thoughts.

While mormonism is accepted more today in the Christian community than it was say 50 years ago, many mainstream christian religions still view it as something other than a christian religion.

16. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Debatable. And I mean that--I really don't know what the right answer is. Leaving certainly sends a message, but then you lose the opportunity to work from within the organization to change hearts and minds. And generally, congregations are way ahead of their leadership on progressive issues. A Pew Research poll last year, for example, showed 52% of American Catholics are in favor of gay marriage, which was a higher proportion than in the general population (46%). White Catholics were even higher at 57% favoring, which is really quite remarkable given their Church's strong stance on the issue. If the progressive voices leave, however, those remaining will become increasingly disconnected from reality. Personally, I prefer as much dissent within the Church as possible--it's healthy.

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I get that. You certainly have a point. But I guarantee you, if you hit the Church where it hurts- the wallet, I bet you get a far more immediate response.

18. iJohnHenry, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

My earlier confusion is now somewhat abated.

I found this, while looking for tithing within the church.

I was obviously naive in the manner and complexity of the tendrils that the church has in their 'followers'.

Leave them to build their palaces and political clout.

Pray as you wish.

19. Andeavor macrumors 6502

What's wrong is that [those] churches take away their members' courage to go out into the world and fend for themselves.

In a way, it's proof that organized religion is all about control (besides all the anti-this-and-that campaigning).

20. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Although you probably know this, keep in mind that there are divisions of Christianity that believe that marriage is between two people and that homosexuality is not any more or less sinful than heterosexuality. While this is still a smaller minority, views are changing and two larger protestant denominations now ordain openly gay/lesbian clergy. The other moderate-liberal protestant churches that currently do not do this are actively discussing it today. I've been to a service that was led by an openly gay priest. With that said, that doesn't apply to the super conservative churches but it does show that there are some christians with views that are more just than the whacky ones you hear about on TV.

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I am most certainly aware of that. My problem is this: Why do many religions say their religious rights are being violated, with no concern for religions who disagree with them? If a certain church/religion wants gay marriage, why do we let the conservative ones who don't, run the conversation? Those people are violating freedom of religion.

22. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

The church counts you as a member until you write a letter asking your name be removed from their records (which also cancels you baptism and your ability to be with your family forever in the next life). If you don't write your name out the church will visit you once a year to check up on you. If they lose track of you they will count you as an official member until you reach the age of 100, regardless if your living or not.

(I had my name removed from the records on my birthday in 2008, shortly after Prop 8 passed.)

23. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I figured you did. And I wish I could give you an answer...but religion is one thing I really can't say I understand logistically whatsoever, even after spending time formally studying it.