Morning Mix Indian father allegedly cuts off

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
the hands of teen accused of raping his infant daughter
Some fathers will do anything for their children, but one in the Bathing district of India allegedly took the idea of “outlaw justice” to its grotesque extreme.

Two years ago, an unnamed then 14-year-old was accused of raping the 7-month-old daughter of Parminder Singh. The girl’s mother walked in on him allegedly molesting the infant in April 2014, the AFP reported.

On Tuesday, the now 17-year-old appeared at the Rama Mandi district courts in Punjab, only to have the hearing postponed. Singh approached him with the offer of an out-of-court settlement of some sort. He promised to give the boy a ride to town on the back of his motorbike, The Indian Express reported. But the brick kiln laborer allegedly had no intention of offering any such settlement.

Instead, he was allegedly out for revenge.

Authorities say he drove the boy out to a canal, where he tied him to a tree, beat and cut him before slicing off both of his hands at the wrist in a personal version of Old Testament, lex talionis-style retribution
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/04/21/indian-father-allegedly-cuts-off-the-hands-of-teen-accused-of-raping-his-infant-daughter/

why the hands?

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Should defer this to the religious here, especially those versed in the Old Testament, for their input. But at the very least, it is safe to say that the OT detractors who say that the OT isn't relevant anymore were just proven wrong.

BL.
what in the world makes you think this has ANYTHING to do with religion? I am NOT religious, and the hands are NOT what I would have started with.

Reactions: Eraserhead

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
what in the world makes you think this has ANYTHING to do with religion? I am NOT religious, and the hands are NOT what I would have started with.
The story provided in the OP. Specifically:

Authorities say he drove the boy out to a canal, where he tied him to a tree, beat and cut him before slicing off both of his hands at the wrist in a personal version of Old Testament, lex talionis-style retribution
So what is this lex talionis-style retribution? If a variant of what was in the OT, what was originally in the OT? That's where I was suggesting to defer to those versed in the OT to get background on what it is, as that will provide insight into what the father did.

I have to agree with you in the fact that I probably wouldn't have started with the hands, either.

BL.

Reactions: jkcerda

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Should defer this to the religious here, especially those versed in the Old Testament, for their input. But at the very least, it is safe to say that the OT detractors who say that the OT isn't relevant anymore were just proven wrong.

BL.
Where does it say that they were Jewish or Christian? Given the fact that it happened in India odds are that they are Hindu.
[doublepost=1461353447][/doublepost]
So what is this lex talionis-style retribution?
If you google it, you would see that it is
noun
the principle or law of retaliation that a punishment inflicted shouldcorrespond in degree and kind to the offense of the wrongdoer, as aneye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth; retributive justice.

Reactions: jkcerda

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Where does it say that they were Jewish or Christian? Given the fact that it happened in India odds are that they are Hindu.
I wasn't stating that the father was Christian or Jewish. I was stating that a definition of what lex talionis was, as it was referenced by the OT.

If you google it, you would see that it is
This is the reference that I was hoping someone would produce. Thanks.

So if this were "eye for an eye", that leaves two things this father would have done:
  1. damaged the same part of the body that the teen had molested on the daughter; or
  2. damaged the part of the body that was used in/during the molestation.
For that, I could see why he went for the hands.

BL.