Morning Mix Indian father allegedly cuts off

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 22, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...f-teen-accused-of-raping-his-infant-daughter/

why the hands?

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

what in the world makes you think this has ANYTHING to do with religion? I am NOT religious, and the hands are NOT what I would have started with.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The story provided in the OP. Specifically:

So what is this lex talionis-style retribution? If a variant of what was in the OT, what was originally in the OT? That's where I was suggesting to defer to those versed in the OT to get background on what it is, as that will provide insight into what the father did.

I have to agree with you in the fact that I probably wouldn't have started with the hands, either.

BL.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Where does it say that they were Jewish or Christian? Given the fact that it happened in India odds are that they are Hindu.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2016 ---
    If you google it, you would see that it is

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I wasn't stating that the father was Christian or Jewish. I was stating that a definition of what lex talionis was, as it was referenced by the OT.

This is the reference that I was hoping someone would produce. Thanks.

So if this were "eye for an eye", that leaves two things this father would have done:
    1. damaged the same part of the body that the teen had molested on the daughter; or
    2. damaged the part of the body that was used in/during the molestation.
    For that, I could see why he went for the hands.

BL.