Morning thought: why can't you organise app screens from iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Radioman, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Radioman macrumors regular

I have about 6 screens full of apps on my 3GS now and they are all over the place. I need a major reorganisation, but it is SO painful doing in on the iPhone!

Why on earth isn't there a view option in iTunes that lets you see the screens as they are on the iPhone and reorganise there? It would be so simple then!

2. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

No reason, really

3. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I agree that organising app pages could be a lot easier. For starters, I'd like to be able to change my page order on the Launchpad.

iTunes doesn't currently have any functionality for ordering your apps on the iPhone. I don't think it's coming...

4. Radioman thread starter macrumors regular

Well it sounds like a no-brainer for Apple to me. Surely it would be dead simple to do?

5. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Yeah, but this is Apple we are talking about. Remember, the guys it took two years to get landscape in the messaging and email clients? "No-brainers" to these people are ideas that they just can't get into their heads.

6. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

It would also be nice to have a meta tag attached to each page e.g. "Main", "Games", "Web links", "Travel", "Free junk" etc. Then some amazing new gesture functionality could bring up this list and you could select the desired page (Expose lite?)...

The proliferation of apps is going to require this at some point, surely!

7. Radioman thread starter macrumors regular

I hope they read this in Cupertino as there are some great ideas on here!

8. warburg macrumors 6502

Well, I just organize my apps as I download them, I simply move each app into the appropriate section of my seven pages of third-party apps. It takes only a few seconds each time. Everyone has a concept of how he wants his apps organized. If Apple did this automatically, there would be no options for individual variations.

9. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Correct, but where is automatic organising of apps mentioned before your post?

10. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I'm thinking they will soon add a Stack-like functionality to the Home Screen to compete with the Categories available on JB phones.

11. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I'd settle for an app list that wasn't a huge, impossible to read mess of tiled icons. I thought we learned 20 years ago that evenly spaced tiles of icons is about the hardest way to read a dataset...

I'd really like to be able to list my apps in the normal itunes list format instead.

Of course, sorting them into pages might be nice as well.

That said, Apple is a small company and developing software correctly is a time consuming process. I'm a software engineer so I speak from a lot of experience. You can do things fast or you can do them right and usually you get neither ;)

I'm sure they have a huge list of crap to add and do. The hardest part is that sometimes you have to stop serving the customers and server the programmers/developers and that's what happened in 3.0. That's why so many people bitch about it. It's a big feature drop for the programmers moreso than the users. Perhaps the next big feature release will add a lot of these UI improvements (can anyone say: less useless notification system!?)

12. warburg macrumors 6502

Yes, I see. The organization would be done by the individual in itunes. Sorry :eek:

13. Radioman thread starter macrumors regular

Well it seems they do take notice; rumour mill currently says that the next iTunes release will allow organisation of apps!

P.S. Where's my cheque?! :)

14. honeytoast macrumors regular

Your check, where is my check? J/K

I posted about this right after the app store launched. I definately agree with you. It sucks trying to do it on the phone. Hopefully this latest rumor is true.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=519395

15. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Hopefully they didn't start the rumour after reading your post!

16. Radioman thread starter macrumors regular

LOL! OK, I'll send you the dosh, do you accept Pounds? ;)

17. honeytoast macrumors regular

I'll accept anything these days. I'm really excited for iTunes 9 if these rumors are true. I hope they can slim it down somehow though. We all know how slow iTunes is.

18. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

"We’ve just received a tip from a pretty reliable source...we’ve been told iTunes 9 will finally include the ability to visually organize and arrange your iPhone and iPod touch applications." -BGR

Source - BGR

19. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I think the whole UI needs a makeover. I want to see more widgets - being able to see weather on my unlock screen and home screen without going into the app, see new emails/sms/etc... the sorts of things Jailbroken iPhones have been doing for ages, basically!

Being able to organize Apps in iTunes should be the minimum. Stacks, expose, etc. would be really nice additions...

20. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

This is what icon reordering in iTunes 9 will look like:

Attached Files:

21. lavinci macrumors 6502

That looks like it would be a great feature for those that have numerous apps.

22. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Wait for the iPod event in September. It will probably be released that day.

23. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

They could have the categories as they do in the iTunes store: Games, Photography, Navigation, etc. Push the category and all apps in that category are available. Seems simple and efficient to me.