Moron handles venomous snake because the bible tells him to, dies of snake bite

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jun 2, 2012.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What the hell did he think would happen?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/serpent-handling-west-virginia-pastor-dies-snake-bite/story?id=16459455

This is what Darwin meant when he said "survival of the fittest". Funny how the religious whackjobs do so much to prove Darwin right. Should've played with a trouser snake instead. They don't bite.

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He made himself an easy target for ridicule.

However, human beings do many stupid things.

Is it any worse than jumping out of a plane, climbing a cliff, or any number of things people do to tempt fate and feel a thrill?

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The bible doesn't tell people to pick up snakes and drink the venom.
    that scripture is talking about the original deciples and if they were bitten by a snake it wouldn't affect them. The original 11 guys. Not your every day person.

But as a previous post says God works in mysterious ways. Ha !

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Most of the time, no one dies at these sorts of "worship" services, so he probably thought nothing would happen, other than getting a major rush off being "filled with the Holy Spirit". The guy who died allegedly had handled deadly snakes 100s of times over the years.

It the practice crazy? Of course it is. But "crazy" is the norm in many parts of Appalachia, the section of the U.S. that some have called "America's Third World".

Throughout Appalachia, the handling of deadly snakes in church services, such as rattlesnakes and copperheads, takes place on an ongoing basis. A given snake handling church often holds several services per week and each service can be several hours in length. I've talked with a few people that have driven over an hour, one way, to attend services at a snake handling church for a period of several decades. The practice has apparently be on going in Appalachia since at least the early-1900s.

But only a few states in Appalachia have outlawed the practice. In West Virginia (where the incident you mentioned took place) it's legal. The topic of outlawing the practice has come up several times in W.Va., but elected officials are usually very opposed to any sort of law that would "restrict religious freedoms".

7. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

Love it

8. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

They should all drink poison to glorify the Lord

9. vega07 macrumors 65816

LOL, as a Catholic, only if this were true...God's will to rid this world of idiots. :D

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Jonestown 1978- the perfect template, except for one little problem. ;)

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

God's swill.

----------

Yes, because that same blind faith in the inerrancy of "God's Word" is used to justify all kinds of vile and inhumane behaviour.

12. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

So? If the guy is stupid enough to do it, maybe he deserves to suffer the consequences. The idea that legislation is required to cover every possible danger is ridiculous, and is how we have a country of people with no personal responsibility.

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yes it is. Thrill seekers doing the stuff you listed are participating in extreme sports for the thrill of it, the excitement, the bond between those who do it, exercise, love of being out doors, etc. They also know, that these activities, when using the correct equipment is safe to do. Dancing with a snake because you think some fairy tale is testing your love for him....doing an activity that can only result in injury or death.... Big difference in my book.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Copperheads are boring.

I suggest they import and handle funnel web spiders instead :D.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Save a letter, and an apostrophe, and just shift the "s".

God swill, or as I prefer, god-swill. :)

Perhaps he welcomed the bite as his release from this particular Hell on Earth?

It's certainly one way of taking care of the aging population, slow-up enough and your history.

I imagine the same thing might happen to an aging mongoose.

:p

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I would argue with that point.

If it were safe, then it wouldn't be extreme.

It entails risk. Just like handling snakes.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Sometimes I wonder if a god does exist, if this is God's will, that hateful fanatics wind up a victim of their own stupidity. Now, if only a the people from the West Baptist Church would give this a go...

I agree with you partially in that handling venomous snakes are safe in the hands of a skilled handler, but you are still handling an animal that has the ability to kill you if you make a handling mistake. If you were handling a penguin, then then worst that may happen is it poops on you or recites some bizarre Superbowl Pepsi commercial in which penguins say insulting things to people prior to pecking them in in groin and stealing their soda...which I do not believe is fatal in most cases.

18. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Anyone but me find this quote to be funny?

:D ;)

Like someone said, thrill seeking behavior that is dangerous or deadly is nothing new.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Another example of people not reading and fully understanding their Bibles :rolleyes:

This is why I don't go to church anymore and instead just read my Bible (different versions), and say my prayers. I don't get caught up in other peoples mistranslations and misunderstandings.

That being said I feel bad for his family and friends.

20. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

21. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The number of people in this thread taking apparent delight at the death of someone is disgusting.

22. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

It is... delightful.

23. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard