Morpheus to switch to Gnutella Network?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
CNet reports that the Morpheus client was locked out of the Fasttrack network:

Beginning early Tuesday, a message on Morpheus--a file-trading service from StreamCast Networks--told visitors to upgrade their software to connect to the network. However, no newer version of the software was available.

So much for the de-centralized network. As anyone who had been following the opensource client for Fasttrack... we learned that Fasttrack modified their clients a while back, requiring authentication... this effectively "centralized" an otherwise de-centralized network. This latest incident just proves to the legal powers that Morpheus/Fasttrack can easily be shutdown.

But StreamCast has a new version of Morpheus nearly set for release. That will be ready in a few days and will run on Gnutella technology, Griffin said. This means that the millions of people who use Kazaa or Grokster will no longer be able to search Morpheus computers, and vice versa.

Not clear how this affects the Mac client which is rumored to be "coming soon..."

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Erm, didn't the gnutella have a serious problem with scalability? I know remedies have been proposed but have any been implemented?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I like Limewire except it seems to be very slow (At running not downloading) , I suppose this is because of Java. I hope there will be faster version soon!

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
I like Limewire except it seems to be very slow (At running not downloading) , I suppose this is because of Java. I hope there will be faster version soon!

I know there is a better non-java version on limewire for mac, give me 5 mins and I will find it for you :D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
yeah....Limewire is a pretty slow running java app....works well in most cases though...

I think I've used that app before whfsdude.....I remember not liking it at the time....maybe I was still used to the usability of Napster?

how I long for those days... ;)

JereIC

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2001
Gnutella = bad news

This is very bad news. We've already got access to Gnutella, and we already know it's just not any good for a consistent file transfer scheme; it takes too long to connect, you're not likely to find more than 1000 hosts to share with, it's slow, etc. Morpheous Mac was going to be so cool becuase we would get access to the Fasttrack network; it's just plain awesome, with hundreds of thousands of people on at a time, and you cand download damn near anything at reasonable speeds.

Wasn't Kazaa also doing a Mac OS X client? What happened to that?

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Limewire

So does this mean the upcoming version of Morpheus for Mac will have this feature? My friend has Kaza. I downloaded Morpheus to see, and both were "EXACTLY" the same except for the icon and name...

As for Limewire, the new version 2.2.1 is very much more Mac like. We have a nicer icon, and the menu bar is finally were it should be (at the top of the screen). And this version if fricken fast if you consider I used to use Limewire 1.3 (remember those days... long ago last year)... Now that was SLOW! It took about 7 to change beetween tabs and another 3 for it to restabalize. The Positive fact is that the Limewire team are looking to make the App more Mac like (titlebar, icon, application menu). If you guys want a really fast gnutella client, download the Mac OS 9 verison, it's screaming fast (you can't tell if its a Java app) and on top of that it downloads much faster than the OS X version of Limewire.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Mactella

I just downloaded the OS X verison of Mactella... Even though Limewire is slower than Mactella Limewire rocks!

Mactella after 5 minutes of running still won't let me search even if it is currently connected to 3 hosts!:mad:

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by eyelikeart

I just did....it sucks :(
I'm not sure what problems you have with Spuntix... but it works _very_ well... in many ways better than napster ever did.

Just choose the songs you want, and they are auto-queued for you... no need to try multiple hosts to get the reasonable connection - it's all worked out for you...

sometimes songs are "blocked" - but (and you didn't hear this from me)... usually the next item down on the search list is the same song - but non-blocked spelling varient...

arn

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Sputnix...

maybe I should give it more of a try....I was kinda hasty and didn't really get it....a little confusing I thought anyway...

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
ok can someone explain the whole situation here to me. Ive used morpheus, limewire, etc. but what network was morpheus connecting to? why did they get shut out? who runs that network and what client accesses it? why did they want to shut the morpheus community out? was this a legal move or did they simply want everyone to use their client? are there any other 2nd generation/morpheus types networks available? it just doesnt seem to make sense that whoever runs this network decided to use authentication to get rid of the morpheus folks since they lost all that content, unless whoever ran that network had a client of their own that had some sort of ad or pay feature that morpheus was therefore bypassing by using their own client. can someone explain all the relevant jargon and such while ur explaining the rest.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
ok can someone explain the whole situation here to me.
Types of Networks

Napster-based with centralized servers
Gnutella-based decentralized
FastTrack-based semi-decentralized
eDonkey-based semi-decentralized

these are the major ones in existance at this time that affect us...

The first two are more primitive networks, while FastTrack and eDonkey are "2nd generation" so to speak...

Morheus/Kazaa/Grokster were based off the FastTrack network..

for details/rumors around the blockout, read

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/03012002c.php

arn

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
thanks arn. i was already familiar with the connections you drew but the link was somewhat helpful. I guess we can say Kazaa owns fasttrack. they are facing legal problems in some countries. they (and most of the popular pc p2p apps) are laced with spyware/trojans (does this include morpheus?). for unknown reasons they decided to use their spyware to shut down morpheus users/ lock them out of fast track. Morpheus switched to gnutella. Kazaa is advertising trying to get morpheus users to switch to them. Most people are abandoning all of these apps and switching to others ive never heard of.

and last check with my gnutella clients doesnt show any increase in available files, so if morpheus users are using the new morpheus their contribution is insignificant.

but in the end we cant really say why Kazaa locked morpheus out of Fasttrack. There are all sorts of wild conspiracy theories, but most people are happy just to say Fasttrack is dead.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
thanks arn. i was already familiar with the connections you drew but the link was somewhat helpful. I guess we can say Kazaa owns fasttrack. they are facing legal problems in some countries. they (and most of the popular pc p2p apps) are laced with spyware/trojans (does this include morpheus?). for unknown reasons they decided to use their spyware to shut down morpheus users/ lock them out of fast track. Morpheus switched to gnutella. Kazaa is advertising trying to get morpheus users to switch to them. Most people are abandoning all of these apps and switching to others ive never heard of.
Right... well, originally - there was a company that owned FastTrack and Kazaa... and also licensed the client to morpheus and grokster.

After all the legal problems, one day an annoucement was made that FastTrack/Kazaa was sold to another company (in Australia, I think) - few details are available around that...

arn

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
If you need any subject on the matter go to cNet... Although Cnet has had pretty **** Mac news in the last year or so, the have done a good job with atleast 7 articles on this and plus it gives you a little insight of the Gnutella network.

www.cnet.com/ - Then go to the "Cnet News" section on the top...