Moscow Bans Gay Pride for the Next 100 Years

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Jun 8, 2012.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow, they couldn't handle banning it every year so they decided to ban it for a century? People's entire lifespans? That's insane. Definitely not a good place to live, especially if you're gay.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2012/06/08/moscow-bans-pride-next-100-years

2. vega07 macrumors 65816

The picture in the article is depressing.

How despicable.

3. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I really expected better from Moscow. It's a wonderful city. I thought they would be more tolerant considering they are one of the most Westernized cities that far East. :(

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Religious groups have a very strong hold on that part of the world. And guess what? It isn't Islam. Ukraine is having even worse problems.

5. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I give Russia 2 or 3 years before they give in to all the protests and backlash of this law. With the increasing acceptance towards gays in most parts of the world, I can't see it lasting very long.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Interesting you say that. You're from Texas, things don't seem to be going so well for us down there either. It will take a lot longer than a few years.

7. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I don't know, Moscow is a large international political and economic centre. They will feel pressure from other countries about this.

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

9. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

[​IMG]

10. Jb07 macrumors 6502

Texas is quite a bit different. As another person said, Moscow is an important business and financial center in the world. Dallas (where I live) is not (as important.) A city that large and important will be heavily criticized.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? You feel Dallas is not an important business center? It's a major US city.

12. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I wouldn't say internationally. Internal US economy more like it.

13. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Maybe they just believe in equality and not special interest rights.

Could I organize a "Straight Pride" rally in the US and not be ostracized for it?

14. leekohler, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Please expand on what you believe.

BTW- there are lots of straight pride rallies- Mardi Gras, Spring Break and St Patrick's Day just to name a few. I might also point out your everyday existence is a straight pride rally. Look around when you leave the house. Almost everything you see is aimed at heterosexuals and the glorification of heterosexual relationships...but OMG, the minute a gay ad comes forth! OMG! Teh Gheys are taking over! They're pushing their lifestyle on us!

Please. Get over yourself.

15. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Equal rights would allow the Pride Events. Equal rights would allow a Goth Events, which when thinking about it further would be absolutely hilarious to attend.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Kind of sounds fun, but goth is so 80's. That's what I did when I was a kid. When are kids going to invent something new? :)

17. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Our generation is boring. All we could come up with is Emo... The only difference is Emos hate themselves instead of hating the world.

[​IMG]

Quite honestly, if I didn't grow up around Emo teenagers I would think that it was some strange new LGBT subculture. All that jewelry, tight clothes and coloured accents.

18. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Mardi GRAS, Spring Break are Straight Pride events?

What are YOU smokin

19. leekohler, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes they are. I don't smoke, but you must. They are a celebration of heterosexuality that we could not hope to equal.

Or do you think they're gay pride celebrations? Maybe you'd like some video?

20. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Russia at this moment is going through some very strange times.

Up until the financial collapse of Russia in 1991 democratic values seemed to be taking root. But the Putin/Medvedev years have changed all that, while Russia is no doubt richer is also far less democratic.

These laws will not stand the test of time, but do send a worrying signal to the world.:(

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is what sucks. I play hockey with several Russians, and they don't get this animosity toward gay people. This is some weird invented thing with the government.

22. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Dried semen that you scrape dried from pieces of paper.

Thank-you 4chan.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Moscow is in Europe ;) - so its not in the far east.

In Asia there are lots of gay prides

24. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

They are a celebration for celebration sake. Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday", Spring Break is Students celebrating extra time off, Saint Patricks Day is Irish people celebrating Saint Patricks death, none of these are celebrations of hetrosexuals, homosexuals celebrate in these equally.

I have nothing against gay people, but I still don't understand being "proud" of your sexuality, it's just a random characteristic about you. Nothing to be proud of, am I proud of being hetrosexual? No, I don't care.

25. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Pride is used because it was the most Apt term to get gays out in public at the time the parades started.