Moses - Meet Steve

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rowley, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You do understand that Steve was Buddhist, right?

It's demeaning to ridicule another person's religion.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

OK. You make the joke about Buddhism then.

3. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Well, there was that time Steve visited a hot dog vendor and said "make me one with everything."

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You're joking, right? I'm sure the most religious person in the world would find that funny; its hardly ridiculing anything, its a pun.

5. 184550 Guest

To some people everything is srs bsns.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Seriously? Ridicule? Demeaning? Come on.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, a person's religion is never demeaned here in the PRSI forum.:rolleyes:

Agreed, nothing wrong with that comic.

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

9. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Those kids contributed nothing to society...

Steve Jobs along with his team of innovators revolutionized computers, the cell phone and the tablet computer

That's a faulty ad

10. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I really don't get the logic in those ads. We are selfish human beings, and if x million Africans die a day, then that's just how it is. I never had ANY sort of connection with them, and while their circumstances may have been bleak and their lives miserable- I'm indifferent. Do I pity their circumstances? Sure.

I believe that while human lives are intrinsically equal in value, what they accomplish in their lives is certainly not equal. Therefore the effect that one leaves upon one (me) or many will determine the response to the passing of said person. Steve indirectly (through Apple's products) changed my life, and the world, a lot. Those 100 million Africans- they were nothing but an annoyance as I had to change the television off of those pathetic 'starving kids' ads.

... On the topic of Steve Jobs humor: The Onion.

11. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I really hope you're joking... those kids never had a chance.

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

One would hope it was an attempt at sick humour but like the post above yours I fear not.

13. rowley thread starter macrumors 6502

rowley

I wish I'd not posted that now.
    Did not realize there were so many people so devout here that they cannot take a joke or two.

Jobs would not reach heaven any way - he would already have been reincarnated, his Karma redistributed.

14. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Ah, don't worry, some of us Buddhists have been chuckling for years that the Christian god just happens to look like a caucasian grandpa with a long beard, and the fact that serious debate seems to occur when someone asks whether the beard is white or grey.

I'll throw a joke about Buddhism into this thread, just so the balance is maintained: a master once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you." So I didn't.

:D

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Don't bet on it. Many are just excrement disturbers.

Christians like to "steal" successful figures as there own.

I remember one Jew, nice guy, but sadly misrepresented in the "press". :D

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Surely if he was a successful Buddhist he would not get reincarnated because he would have reached nirvana. Reincarnation is tantamount to failure.

17. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Wow! ... I'm not sure what to say about such callousness. From your comment and the attitude it expresses then I would have to disagree that you believe human life has intrinsic value. Sad. :(

Don't feel bad, it made me laugh. I think it's quite clever.

Slow down there iJH. Like another poster said...

Let's not start with conspiracy theories about Christians trying to claim anyone. There is no evidence the cartoon is anything more than humor or even satire.

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Huh? You got that from "its a pun."???

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How about not having kids, if you can't care for them?

That's not rocket science either.

I was not exercised by the "pun", as the :D after my post indicates. :p

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Its called hope. They hope the new generation will grow up and change things. If they don't have kids, there is no hope for the future at all.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

:D

Thank you.

22. mscriv, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Context friend... you're missing it. ;)

I used your quote to back up what I was saying to iJH. The thoughts weren't directed at you. Look again at the whole post.

Hence the focus on birth control that many charitable organizations are pushing toward such countries and regions. Regardless, I fail to see how population control has anything to do with the level of compassion due a person in need. My comments were aimed at the poster's lack of empathy and thus the contradiction in his stated position of valuing life. Clearly, he only values life from a self centered worldview. If your life doesn't benefit him in some way then your life doesn't matter.

However, you still took a jab that was in no way related to the comic in itself. The subject matter alone gives us no information about authorial intent or personal conviction and you implied that it did. Cartoonist and comics worldwide make jokes for the express intent of humor alone without any hidden agenda. I simply wanted to note your inference before the conversation got out of hand as it sometimes does in the PRSI.

Edit: iJH, on second thought, I may have been too literal in my reading of your post as it would appear you were simply "taking a shot" as opposed to implying anything specific about the cartoonist. I apologize for misreading that part of it. However, keep in mind...

23. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Why on earth would I waste my emotions and sympathy towards a lost cause? It takes more than people donating or taking trips to Africa to solve the problem. Those things already happen, and it's still ****.

Think about it- in America when there are two adults who cannot pay for their children to be educated, well clothed, or properly fed they are called negligent and have to rely on the government (something highly looked down upon, says the far right). In Africa, two adults conceive a child and likewise cannot provide for the children, but instead of being looked down upon they are viewed as a charity case and are severely pitied.

Why not focus on helping those on food stamps in your own country instead of those halfway across the world? If you believe all lives are equal in value, why go out of your way to help someone else when there is someone downtown starving?

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Interesting.

I guess I was railing against the usual image of God and Moses being old, hairy guys, in need of some personal grooming.

Perhaps this is to convey to the masses that they are wise, but why not look like Brad Pitt or Derek Jeter?? This is Heaven, after all.

Hell, I'm old too, and somewhat wise. I'm not doing anything for pay right now. I could be your God. At least you would get a response from me.

Now THAT is ridicule. :p