• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Walt Mossberg posts a preview of Lenovo's forthcoming ThinkPad X300, a competitor to Apple's MacBook Air.

Walt Mossberg generally had good things to say about the MacBook Air when he reviewed it in January, however he did note several limitations such as built-in battery, lack of optical drive, and lack of other connectivity ports as being possible deal-breakers for some.

On the other hand, Mossberg notes that the X300 makes fewer tradeoffs. Below is a table of some of the key differences between the machines. Lenovo has yet to publish official specifications, so the below is compiled from Mossberg's preview and Gizmodo's leaked specs.

See Article for table

Until now, comparing the MacBook Air to a competitor's laptop was difficult due to differences in screen sizes and/or weight. While the MacBook Air still has some additional unique features such as a multi-touch trackpad and the ability to run Mac OS X, the X300's introduction allows the closest hardware comparison yet possible.

Article Link

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have really defended apple against all the MBA bashers, but I do agree with Mossberg that the x300 manages to get more in there. The x300 lags behind in two significant ways (other than not running OS X, of course) - the thickness, and the processor speed. Those are real considerations, but the 3 usb ports, a 4 GB RAM limit, ethernet and 3G, and optional built-in optical are big advantages. Hopefully apple is already hard at work on the MBA version 2, which will not have as many things sacrificed.

Oh, but it's worth noting - this will hopefully help to shut up the fools who think the MBA is so overpriced. The x300 has a 1.2 Ghz processor and costs $2800. The design is a very important feature of both machines, and like any feature, you're gonna pay for it.

Comment

koolcolors

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2002
Denver, CO
The specs listed for the Thinkpad X300 are not accurate!

The specs listed in the table for the Thinkpad X300 are inaccurate and should be revised in order to properly compare it to the MBA. The X300 is actually going to use a 2.0GHz Santa Rosa dual core CPU - not the 1.2GHz listed in the table. Also, the X300 will use a much higher resolution screen (WXGA+ -> 1440x900 pixels) vs the MBA (WXGA -> 1280x800). Thanks.

Comment

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
The specs listed in the table for the Thinkpad X300 are inaccurate and should be revised in order to properly compare it to the MBA. The X300 is actually going to use a 2.0GHz Santa Rosa dual core CPU - not the 1.2GHz listed in the table. Also, the X300 will use a much higher resolution screen (WXGA+ -> 1440x900 pixels) vs the MBA (WXGA -> 1280x800). Thanks.

What's your source for the CPU? Every thing I've read about the X300 so far indicates it is using a 1.2 GHz CPU (the model that showed up on Best Buy for Business mentioned this, for example). Where do you get that it is using a 2.0GHz one?

Frankly, that would be kind of surprising, as this seems to be more in line with the X61s, which used a ULV processor, than the full X61 (which does use a Santa Rosa CPU).

Also, I imagine the screen res will be an option. Frankly 1280x800 is probably a better res for a 13" screen (as witness its popularity on the Sony SZ, XPSM1330, 13" MacBook and MacBook Air, etc.).

-Zadillo

Comment

timothyjay2004

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I really like the Macbook Air. I think it is very neat. I really think that the macbook air would beat the Lenovo laptop, especially if Apple would just decide to make the optional super drive and ethernet adaptors come with the macbook air at it's current price for the laptop itself. Even throwing in an Apple branded USB hub would help curve the fact that it only has 1 usb port. I think that the MBA appeals to a certain crowd and not to everyone. It does have some limitations. But, it is extremely thin and portable. Portability is the air's main selling point. It is thinner than the Lenovo. I can think of several people that the air would appeal to: Business men/women that travel a lot, drug reps., etc. Those people would benefit from using the air. I personally just wish that the macbook air came with the 2 accessories that I already mentioned. I can see why it doesn't, but it'd be nice and make it more of a competitor against other companies.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
"Up to" 4GB - how much does that $2700 price include, with the Lenovo?

Anyway, the Air for $1799 certainly looks like a great deal in comparison. SDD is great but should not be required.

And I'm sorry, the Lenovo is just too thick :p

Comment

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
"Up to" 4GB - how much does that $2700 price include, with the Lenovo?

Anyway, the Air for $1799 certainly looks like a great deal in comparison. SDD is great but should not be required.

And I'm sorry, the Lenovo is just too thick :p

2GB.

And Lenovo will offer a configuration of the X300 with a regular hard drive, which would be much closer in price to the MacBook Air (and Lenovo of course regularly offers various 15-25% off deals on their site, which would bring an X300's price down even more).

Comment

mterlouw

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2006

It's a 1.2GHz, at least for now:
pic
pic
pic

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

how could you know that? all available evidence suggests it's the 1.2 Ghz, so if you have better info, please do tell.

Comment

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

you really think that Lenovo would send out a 1.2 lappie for review knowing that they're gonna produce them at 2.0?

Comment

HailToTheVictor

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
When is Lenovo going to redesign their cases? It might be thin, but it sure does not look like it. It's kinda like a thin girl who is ugly and has a lot of mental issues (Windows), whereas the Air is an extremely hot girl that doesn't complain, and gets the job done every time.

Comment

chicagostars

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Chicago, IL
source?

Gotta love a post that claims to have accurate info that isn't readily available to the rest of the public. If you've got something from a credible source, let the people know.

Comment

somekool

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2007
Until now, comparing the MacBook Air to a competitor's laptop was difficult due to differences in screen sizes and/or weight. While the MacBook Air still has some additional unique features such as a multi-touch trackpad and the ability to run Mac OS X, the X300's introduction allows the closest hardware comparison yet possible.

Look up the Panasonic "Let's Note" family.

Comment

Marion

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Not impressed !!!

Well, so far I'm not that impressed :confused: by the width and depth of these new super "slim" laptop (either MBA or X300).

If I remember, more than 6 years ago, the T4x series of IBM was 12" x 10" x 1" with a 14.1" screen (up to 1400x1050). You had the option for the best processor around :) and was able to fit the biggest 2.5" hard drive available :) (super easy to swap). There was option to switch the CD/DVD burner for a 2nd HD :) or another battery or nothing to save weight. You had all the necessary ports (even parallel, which I agree is not really useful in these modern days) and 2x pcmcia slots. Weight was between 4 to 5 pounds. :(

Today we have the MBA 13" x 9" X less than 3/4". That is 117 square inches compare to 120 for the T4x series. :( To gain 3 square inches, you need to go for a smaller screen:mad:, less ports:(, lack of HD flexibility:mad:, no CD/DVD:( and no way to change battery on the fly:eek:. Also, less processor power:confused: and less max RAM:(. On the pro side you're gaining a bit more than a pound :D and a slimmer design:), but at what cost? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think the techno humanity did such a great step within the last 6 years :confused: (comparing the pros and the cons).

It's my 2 cents. :p

Comment

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
I have really defended apple against all the MBA bashers, but I do agree with Mossberg that the x300 manages to get more in there. The x300 lags behind in two significant ways (other than not running OS X, of course) - the thickness, and the processor speed. Those are real considerations, but the 3 usb ports, a 4 GB RAM limit, ethernet and 3G, and optional built-in optical are big advantages. Hopefully apple is already hard at work on the MBA version 2, which will not have as many things sacrificed.

Oh, but it's worth noting - this will hopefully help to shut up the fools who think the MBA is so overpriced. The x300 has a 1.2 Ghz processor and costs $2800. The design is a very important feature of both machines, and like any feature, you're gonna pay for it.

I don't think its overpriced at all, its actually very competitive. The people who think its overpriced are pitting it against general purpose notebooks that are a pound in a half to two pounds heavier. That being said, a lot of the thinness is for vanity's sake, not practicality. Giving up some of that thinness for an additional USB port, an ethernet port, and possibly a removable battery wouldn't have made the machine that much thicker, but would have made a much improved machine. As for correcting things in REV.2, I don't know if that's going to happen. You have company that doesn't like to admit when it makes mistakes. They have a tendency to push things under the rug like the cube and to a lesser extent the Mini rather than make a machine that is somewhat larger and more practical. Look, the MBA is a decent ultraportable and has the advantage of Mac OS X. The question is with slightly better UP notebooks around like this new thinkpad will it be good enough to draw people over or did Ive and the design team take it just a little too far?

Comment

Demon

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2004
on earth
Mba

in time, the MacBook air will be a standard... but until that time when HDD at least triples, battery becomes replaceable, CPU gets up to speed, and a halfway decent graphics card is used... the MBA won't be on top of my list. I would sacrifice a few millimeters and a few grams to have all that. let's hope Lenovo does well and puts that point through to Apple. love the MBA though, just not a very practical utility, belongs in a museum.

Comment

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
in time, the MacBook air will be a standard... but until that time when HDD at least triples, battery becomes replaceable, CPU gets up to speed, and a halfway decent graphics card is used...

why not just get a macbook?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.