Most affordable but well performing external CD/DVD drive for a MacBook Pro Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Republius, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Republius macrumors member

Oct 14, 2014
    I do not care if it is Apple brand or a third-party brand.

Thank you for your expertise and assistance.
  2. jlc1978, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016

jlc1978 macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2009
    I bought an LG BluRay drive and am very happy with it. If you get a used one from Amazon or an open box from Best Buy you can save some money. The DVD drives start at around $20 and the BluRay around $60. I've had mine about 3 years now with no issues.
  3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Mar 14, 2008
    The one that fits your needs and budget. They all pretty much come from the same factory. If it has the features you want at a pricepoint you like, buy it.
  4. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Jun 24, 2012
  5. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2015
    Bedfordshire, England
    I used the DVD drive from my Lenovo laptop, replacing it in that machine with a second SSD. The complete kit of SSD adapter caddy for the Lenovo and external housing for the DVD drive cost about £20 from Amazon, and it works great with Mac or PC. I've only tested it, mind you, I doubt I'll ever again need to use an optical disc.
  6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Feb 20, 2009
    Samsung sells this (amazon link):

Although I'm not currently a BluRay user, I thought it might be worth having for future considerations.

Of note is that (at least with my Mac Mini) this drive requires only -one- USB cable to operate. Some external DVD/CD drives require two (using a Y-cable) for enough "bus power".

Also be aware it's a "tray loading" drive. This was my preference, may not be yours.

In my opinion, a more capable drive than Apple's for not much more $$$$...
  7. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2009