Most disappointing iOS upgrade ever….

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tyson2011, Mar 9, 2011.

1. tyson2011 macrumors newbie

Where’s the multitasking gestures? This was the main upgrade I was excited about and was the only reason I sat in front of my computer updating software for the last hour.

The best thing the iPad got out of it was the return of the rotation lock switch. I suppose it’s not all bad.

As for the sluggish, unreliable personal hotspot on the iPhone 4. It leaves a lot to be desired.

I may as well have waited for the next update, well that might be a bit hash. What I mean is update when you get the chance, don’t get excited for some new big thing. I should have slept in this morning.

2. iDabble macrumors regular

i'm pretty happy about home sharing and the lock orientation switch...

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

4. Saberj macrumors regular

I still can't get iTunes to recognize the update for my iPad. It says 4.2 is still the latest version. The iPod had no trouble, though.

5. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

the multitasking gestures were never meant to be in 4.3. the gestures were there for testing purposes only, they had to be enabled by developers using XCode. supposedly the multitasking gestures can still be enabled, do some googling to find out how...

6. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

7. mtansley macrumors newbie

Multitasking gestures appear on my ipad

I just upgraded to iOS 4.3 an hour or so ago and under Settings->General I have an entry for 'Multitasking Gestures'. They were on by default.

It appears just under a section marked 'Use Side Switch to:'.

They're quite nice, no more double clicking the home button and irritating my wife while reading the iPad in bed.

Michael

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

What!? Personal Hotspot works very quickly and reliably for me. In fact, it's a lot better than the jailbreak hacks (MyWi & PdaNet).

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Are you a developer using your iPad for development?

10. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I'm SO happy to get gestures back - I missed them when they went away in the builds prior. (Yes, I'm an iOS dev for internal work-distributed apps).

As far as speed, I'm not noticing a vast difference. I'll side-by-side test on Friday when I buy an iPad 2 for my husband.

11. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I bought xcode from the app store for 4.99 and enabled the gestures myself. Worth the cost and was easy. Beware xcode is a 4GB download.

12. mtansley, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

mtansley macrumors newbie

No, just a regular ipad user. I just did the upgrade through itunes and found the gestures waiting on my ipad.

I do belong to the free developer program, the one where you can code to the ipad simulator only with xcode, but I don't think that gives you much more.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I am pretty upset about 4.3 even though I don't have an iPad .... my stupid phone vibrates twice for one incoming text message.

14. Saberj macrumors regular

Is anyone else not having 4.3 show up when checking the iPad for updates?

15. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Turn off the vibrate then.

I feel that 4.3 is what 10.6 did to 10.5. Didn't add a ton of features, but just a few. All the upgrades are all under the hood. My iPhone 4 does seems quicker with 4.3, but that could just be because I believe that it is, so it's like a placebo.

16. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

You usually update your software.

But you upgrade your hardware.

;)

17. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Ditto. Thats what i was looking forward to also. Now i read that it was only in the beta

18. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Screenshot or you full of it

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I need vibrate to alert me of incoming calls and texts ... but I just don't like when it vibrates twice for one text.

20. tyson2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

i might be wrong but i think you can change it in setting> messages> play alert tone> select once.

21. guywoodman7 macrumors member

Gestures have been in all the 4.3 betas and is still available in the public release, not sure why and how you missed them ever if you were using the betas.

The only catch is you need to connect to xcode to activate them.

Best of all, you don't actually need to be a developer to activate (I sure as heck am not), just connect your iPad, let its do its preliminary identifying of the device, then disconnect. You may have to close out your system prefs app on your iPad completely (open multitasking tray, hold icon and hit the minus button) but then the option will appear right under the orientation lock/mute switch.

Gestures are still a bit buggy (mostly 4 finger swiping from app to app), but are ABSOLUTELY useful and are wonderful to use...much more intuitive than double clicking the home button. I highly recommend everyone give them a shot if you can, they really transform the whole experience.

22. mtansley macrumors newbie

I had joined Macrumors to enjoy reading & discussing the mac world. However, with a comment like that I think I'll just cancel my subscription and go back to the real world.

23. iserian macrumors 6502

24. mtansley macrumors newbie

That explains why I have them on my iPad when I don't belong to the developer program (not the paid one, anyway). I do have xcode on my machine though, so that is what the ipad is seeing.

25. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

See ya