Most embarrasing tracks in your iTunes?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
What would you normally never admit to having in your iTunes library, what do you have cunningly labeled up as something else so that your friends don't think any less of you should they stumble upon it?

Me first I suppose...

...oh dear...here we go...

Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby! :eek:

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
Try - Nelly Furtado

I've listened to it twice and the only reason I got it was when it was a free iTMS download back in May.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
good thread :D :D i've got some winners in here somewhere....

ah yes...

"Rock Shuffle" by Me & the Metards
"Danny's Song" by Anne Murray
"Thuggish Ruggish Bone" by Bone Thugs n' Harmony

then there's "Baby Come Back". i don't know who actually sings it. the artist is listed as "Ass Buggy", but i doubt that's right. You know the song, don't you? "Baby come back! Any kind of fool could see! There was something in everything about you!"

winners all, i tell you.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
sorry for the DP...

i've also got a live track of james taylor singing an old blues standard called "steamroller"

while it is embarrassing for me to own the track, i think it's much more embarrassing for mr. taylor, who should have known better than to try to sing the blues with a voice like that.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
This probably won't seem to bad to most people, but the most embarassing for me is Britney Spears's "Toxic." People are always surprised when they see it on my iPod or on my computer. It just doesn't fit with the rest of my music. I don't really like the song, although I don't think it's that bad. I just don't want to delete it because then there's no way of getting it back. I paid for it, and I'm keeping it.

The reason why it's on there is because it was for, uh...research. Yeah, that's a good way to put it. My ska band covered it for a battle of the bands, so we needed to have the song to appropriately mock it. Our cover turned out better than I though it would, especially since our singer is a guy. It was quite entertaining.

But yeah, I always find myself explaining to people why it's on my computer.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Only the free ones...

... well, and maybe the show tunes. "Oh, what a beautiful morning, oh, what a beautiful day." Sigh.

What can I say, the wife loves show tunes.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Great idea for a thread. We should all include iTMS links, as yellow has done, when the songs are in the store.

Mine? Amos Moses by Jerry Reed. Whenever kids visit, I play them this one and we all laugh.

Luckily, I got it with a free Pepsi code.

Edit: Even with a free code, I couldn't stand to get Enter Sandman by Pat Boone, which I play for friends to show them what I consider to be the worst song in the Music Store. The 30-second sample is enough, thank you.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Status Quo - I have Rockin' all over the years, and Heavy Traffic... the latter of which is really, really good :)

I'm quite embarrased by the Marilyn Manson, too. Can we say angsty teen?

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
It is not in my playlist per se, but I bought the CD in the pre-iTunes days.

The original Spice Girls CD. I bought it just after 'wannabe' came out because I thought the song was fun, but then they exploded into what they were and I wanted to burn it but I'm too cheap to toast something I pay for.

It's ripped and on my external drive, but it's not in my iTunes.

superninjagoat

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2004
Apex, N.C
I'm ashamed to say

I've got the soundtrack to Annie.

And how 'bout "Walking in God's Sunshine" (I'm so happy in the light!) Yes, that's gospel bluegrass, but I doubt you'll find that one on iTunes -- don't have it on this PC, or I'd check.

I've also got Kermit the Frog singing "The Rainbow Connection," but I'm not embarrased about that one.

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
superninjagoat said:
I've also got Kermit the Frog singing "The Rainbow Connection," but I'm not embarrased about that one.
Nice. One of my all time favorite Muppet songs from the movies/shows/Sesame Street.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
I've got a few:

* Hillary Duff / Jessica Simpson / etc.

* "Sofa Rockers" even though it's a good song and an "Apple" song, has slightly scandalous-looking album art ... I always have to remember to close the album art panel

* "Teenage Dirtbag" by Wheatus ... it's a silly song, but I love it :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Trekkie said:
The original Spice Girls CD. I bought it just after 'wannabe' came out because I thought the song was fun, but then they exploded into what they were and I wanted to burn it but I'm too cheap to toast something I pay for.
New winner!! I'd rather listen to Barney all day than listen to "Wannabe." ;)

I've got Snow.....got to explain that one to some people who thought I was listening to Jamaican music....not my usual cup of tea. Oh, 2 Justin Timberlake songs, 1 John Mayer song (Neon), and 5 Robbie Williams songs. They're good. I like them, except Neon, but its hard for me to explain to my friends who have never heard of 90% of the stuff they see on my iTunes library.

I even get scared to let a friend listen to my iPod in case they discover my Justin Timberlake songs, because they'll laugh and never understand, and I'd have to explain that JT iz just soooo SEXAY! :p

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I don't know, I don't really consider any of my tracks embarrasing.
Since I listen to pretty much every style of music that is out there and in my library are almost 700 different artists, I always have to cope with people giving me weird looks. "Ooh you listen to rap?" :eek: The next one goes: "Ooh you listen to classical music?" or "Ooh you listen to hard rock?" :eek:

I don't really care, every song serves a purpose, if not it's deleted. And I do have Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" too. :D I keep it, because it cracks me up every time I listen to it.

jbembe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Baltimore, MD
Diatribe said:
I don't really care, every song serves a purpose, if not it's deleted. And I do have Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" too. :D I keep it, because it cracks me up every time I listen to it.
My wife wanted the 13 Going on 30 Soundtrack, so we regrettably have it, but we also have the original Queen & David Bowie tune, and we got Talking Heads "Burning Down the House" on the same soundtrack, so I guess it evens out.