Most Game Genres Have Been Done To Death, What iPhone Needs Are NonTD Strategy Games.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, Jun 12, 2009.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I'm not talking about tower defense games. That one genre is very well populated on the iPhone. But there is a lot of other directions for strategy games to go

What we need are indie developed strategy games of all shapes and sizes.

Games like Scribblenauts (quite possibly the greatest game ever made, and that's NOT an exatteration), Civilization Revolutions, Power Politics III, Oregan Trail, Plants vs. Zombies, Zapitalism (A FANTASTIC business simulation game), The Political Machine, PixelJunk Monsters, Capitalism, Risk, War Inc (Not the iphone game, I'm referrring to the Old PC game that was half capitalism and half Red Alert 3).

The number of ways that strategy games can go is nearly endless. You can make a business simulation, tower defense, a politics simulation, a space simulation, a world conquest simulation, a game where you play as the illuminati to create a one world government, toppling countries, starting wars, bribing politicians, fixing elections, manipulating the media, you can make it fun, you can make it serious or light hearted and campy, the possibilities are ENDLESS.

It truly is the one genre of games that hasn't been mined for possibilities nearly as much as the other genres.

And the best part is, the games can be made on a low budget and sold for cheap on PSN, XBL, Wiiware, PSP, DS and iPhone.

One of the most played games when I was in high school was Dope Wars. It's a crappy game by any stretch of the imagination, way too simple and easy compared to any of the games I just listed above and yet people loved the idea of a simple business simulation game.

Pixel Junk Monsters is the most popular game on PSN.

Hell one of the first big hits in PC gaming was Oregon Trail!

Clearly, there is a market for strategy games of all shapes and sizes. Game developers need to spend less time making huge budget generic action games (Haze, Fracture etc) and start feeding and growing this market more instead.

What are some of your favorite strategy games?

What are some of your ideas for strategy game concepts? Do you like city building sims, world conquest sims, business sims, politics sims, space sims, real time strategy, tower defense, what? Which have you tried?

If you agree with this, spread this post. Post this elsewhere wherever you frequent, I don't care if you copy paste and don't quote me or link to this or anything. Just get this gaming request out there.

2. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Oh, and for those curious about Scribblenauts, watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrnsOx9Akcc

And read this...

"So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the ****? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were ****ing dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a ****ing DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the **** out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I F*&%^NG TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERF*($)#NG ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do."

3. cap'njack macrumors member

There is a version of Dope Wars called Candy Wars on the iPhone. It is quite similar

4. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

The first thing I intend to do as soon as my 3gs is a) purchased b) jailbreakable is install openttd. I love that game, though it is a bit hard to play on my p990i because of the small screen. Failing that I would love a re-release of age of empires on the iPhone, and rollercoaster tycoon 2 would be amazing (and highly unlikely that chris sawyer would do it). For me it is all about transport , theme park and war stratregy games.

5. dpmcdonald macrumors member

I have to admit. I'm sold.

6. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

It's hard not to be sold on that game. Here's hoping for an iphone port.

7. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

What are the odds of them porting the game to the iPhone?

8. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

9. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I really really want to see more business simulation games and such on the iPhone.

10. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

11. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle