Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Having bought iTunes films since 2009, I'm convinced that they are getting better and better in terms of outstanding picture and sound quality.
Last night I bought the independently produced (on a single lens 35mm camera) film 'Call Me By Your Name'. (SONY Classic Pictures) So OK, for me, it's the best film that i've seen in 10 years BUT apart from that, the first thing that struck me was the sound quality. It was so strong, alive and vibrant. Often with films, I have to turn my TV sound the 3/4 - this was punchy and dynamic at 20%!!! I guess it shows how good compressed Dolby Digital 5.1 can sound when done right. Having worked in radio production studios, sound is something that grabs me :)
The picture quality was also lovely - for a HD film. At 2hours 12 minutes, the 1080p file is a little over 6GB, so I'm wondering if Apple is being a little kinder on its compression?
Anyway for me, the BEST sounding film that i've ever heard from iTunes. It had beautiful iTunes Extras on as well.
It's outstanding when film makers go the extra mile on both sound and vision AND then supply some iTunes Extras! Definitely worth the £10!!!

Gulfam

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2017
Boy, my film experience was equally incredbile. I watched Poison Ivy: The New Seduction with Jaime Pressley in her prime (if you know what I mean). Currently on sale for £3.99!

Reactions: George Dawes

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I can't wait to check it. What speakers were you listening through?

Hi there Gigster. The film is INCREDIBLE! Italy looks beautiful in it with lavish breakfasts :) I love the English, Italian and French dialogue in it! It's a film that leaves you thinking about it for weeks.
Sound wise, two fold, on the Friday evening, we were simply watching it on my Panasonic TV (which has very decent built in speakers in it) and then on Saturday evening, we were all at my weekend city at my friend Perrie's apartment. He has a 55" SONY TV with the SONOS PlayBar (no sub). It sounded full and so crisp!
[doublepost=1519747531][/doublepost]
Boy, my film experience was equally incredbile. I watched Poison Ivy: The New Seduction with Jaime Pressley in her prime (if you know what I mean). Currently on sale for £3.99!

OH WOW! I gotta give that a try :) I love it when films are on offer at the price :)

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I was using an ATV2 up unit Saturday. I set up my ATV4K and set it up. The remote worked instantly with my Samsung TV so I didn't have to pair it. It turns on and off with the remote and the volume control works great.

I've bought nearly 200 movies in iTunes over the past 6 years and so many of them have been upgraded to 4K. I watched a few of them yesterday and they are just simply amazing. The colors pop out so much more and the textures of things are just simply amazing.

I don't have any good speakers yet so I was just using the built in speakers on the TV.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I was using an ATV2 up unit Saturday. I set up my ATV4K and set it up. The remote worked instantly with my Samsung TV so I didn't have to pair it. It turns on and off with the remote and the volume control works great.

I've bought nearly 200 movies in iTunes over the past 6 years and so many of them have been upgraded to 4K. I watched a few of them yesterday and they are just simply amazing. The colors pop out so much more and the textures of things are just simply amazing.

I don't have any good speakers yet so I was just using the built in speakers on the TV.

WOW that's incredible and congratulations on the ATV 4K purchase. This is what I love about buying film from say iTunes & Vimeo. They have new life in them when you upgrade after many years your Apple TV or MacBook or iPhone.
Just brilliant!

PS Apple TV 2 was the game changer for me! I'd just bought the iPhone 4 at the time and a white MacBook. I decided there and then that discs were history for me and fell in love with the multi platform for my iPhone, MacBook & iPhone. At the time, I loved streaming YouTube and Vimeo videos to my TV. And HD films looked amazing on it :)

Reactions: JackieInCo

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
i'm particularly impressed with the integration with my new yamaha av amp

i can control the atv with the yamaha remote and when i put the atv to sleep the av amp goes to sleep too

amazing stuff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.