Most Stores Will Have Little to No Stock for Walk-Ins

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cwosigns, Sep 14, 2016.

?

Does the rumored lack of stock available for walk-ins change your strategy for getting an iPhone 7?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2016.
  1. Yes, I will order online and wait?

14 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Yes, I will go to a carrier store?

19 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Yes, I will look on a site like craigslist or eBay?

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. No, I will camp out and hope for the best.

21 vote(s)
    21.2%
  5. No, I already pre-ordered and am expecting delivery on launch day.

44 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

2. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

Getting mine on launch with successful preorder. I'd be standing in line though if the preorder had not panned out so well.

3. Rafterman macrumors 68020

If that's true, then I would think there is no strategy left for getting one on 9-16.

Expect a bunch of seriously pizzzed off people who are already standing in line, finding out there's zip to get.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

We couldn't reserve the Jet Black so there better be store inventory. Apple should know Black and Jet Black will be most in-demand. Poor planning if they don't ship a few to stores.

5. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

So people are waiting in line for nothing? Wow the apple watch launch screwup, se and now this?

6. UKFan643 macrumors regular

I could be wrong about this, but it seems like they are just trying to get away from the days of long lines on launch day. I know Angela Ahrendts has hinted at this in the past and this seems like a move in that direction.

7. Stereo macrumors member

We're only getting about 3-4 jet blacks models in at Verizon store. Confirmed today with manager. Lol

8. HarryWild, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

At least those in line since Wednesday will hopefully get a free Danish or cookie for their trouble, and maybe some hot coffee too!

9. comptr macrumors 68000

Well I am getting my 7+ in the mail Friday but I still need to get both of my parents phones since they have not shipped yet so I am stuck waiting in line at the carrier store.

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Which makes you a good kid.

11. comptr macrumors 68000

yes a good son, but I wonder if the Verizon store will have any 7+'s in stock or 7's ?

12. Ronnoco, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Mmmmm, Danish and cookies!!!

13. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

Isn't there a post where Apple said no 7+ models will be available at stores on launch day?

14. comptr macrumors 68000

Yes but that is for their retail stores though I though the carrier stores will have some ?

15. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

I think it'll be hilarious if these weirdos queue up for days and there's no stock. It might teach them a thing or two.

16. Leinhart_6 macrumors regular

Leinhart_6

Would you say that this might be the same with T-Mobile in store? I only need one jet black plus and one jet black 7 lol

17. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Not to be rude but you're crazy if you think carrier stores would have better stock and selection than Apple retail shops.

18. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

It's not that hard to believe.

As rumors indicate, Apple has started production late. Nobody can say if it's for manufacturing reasons, for marketing so the phone could sell out or what ever.
    The contracts with vendors are fixed weeks/months before the release, so let's assume their original plan was (just throwing numbers in as an example) having 20 million iPhones ready for launch day and giving 7 million to vendors.
    Even if there are only 12 million phones ready due to manufacturing they still have to deliver 7 million phones to 3rd parties.

19. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

Yes, Apple is obligated to ship to their carriers first and then if there is any left over stock, it is ship to the Apple Stores. Online orders are pretty much back orders.

20. Cogsworth macrumors 6502

Cogsworth

I don't know why anyone is surprised by this. Historically it seems Apple has never had inventory to meet demand the first few weeks or even months. When the 6+ came out I couldn't find one in my desired configuration anywhere in the Southern California area for two months. I happened to be traveling and finally found one in San Luis Obispo in late November, and based on the online inventory sites I'm pretty sure they were the only store in California that had any of the Space Grey 128 GB Plus models.

You would think with a giant company like Apple they would be able to correctly estimate demand and produce enough units that anyone could walk into an Apple or carrier store on launch day, or launch week, and be able to get whatever color/config they want. They should also know by now that the new colors are always the most in demand. So why the shortage of Jet Black? I got my pre-order in during the first 10 minutes and my delivery date is still September 23 or after. I know the assembly lines can only crank out so many units a day but it's still ridiculous having to go through this every year. Really at this point no one should have to get up at 3 in the morning or camp out overnight to get an iPhone.

21. TechnicallyTee macrumors 68000

TechnicallyTee

Agree 100%

22. LoveMyMacPro macrumors regular

LoveMyMacPro

Did you actually bother to read Apple's announcement? Jet Black is completely sold out, period. They said they do not expect carriers to have much if any stock. If you want to go waste your time, feel free, but when the rep tells you that Jet Black is sold out, please be nice to them. It's not their fault. I don't envy any store rep, Apple, Best Buy or the carriers' that has to work on launch day. It's going to be rough I'm sure.

23. cwosigns thread starter macrumors 68000

cwosigns

24. Stereo macrumors member

Varies between location, do you have a Verizon corporate store near you?

I know for a fact, definitely will have iPhone 7s in stock, but a limited supply of iPhone 7 plus.

Chances are slim, but you'll need to be one of the first in line.

25. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

And if they don't? You'll live, I don't think Apple will care about failed preorders and whining when basically everything is sold out.
    The world will still keep spinning
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2016 ---
    Honestly don't think it's a bad move, creates headaches for the stores and consumers.