Most students think it's okay to "share" digitally copyri...

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
This is so terrible at schools. Especially with everyone having an iPod. I don't know how many times I've seen a person listening to a mates iPod saying nice can you get me the album.

Games also get shared alot.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
It is better to be right than it is to be popular. Please students, respect intellectual property.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
mainstreetmark said:
This just in...

"Most students grew up in the 70's think it's ok to "share" copies of tapes"
Not just music and movies but software.

Seems the www.bsa.org is getting on the ball, and their $150k per program copied and/or jail (with a $250k fine) isn't something to sneeze at.

Usually they go after corporations with the same non-lubed proctology exam as the IRS.

Them turning an eye on students would be evil.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Sun Baked said:
Not just music and movies but software.

Seems the www.bsa.org is getting on the ball, and their $150k per program copied and/or jail (with a $250k fine) isn't something to sneeze at.

Usually they go after corporations with the same non-lubed proctology exam as the IRS.

Them turning an eye on students would be evil.
When I saw "BSA" I was thinking Boy Scouts of America. But then I remembered that the Boy Scouts' website is www.scouting.org. :) I am happy to be an Eagle Scout.

Maybe the Boy Scouts should do something about stealing intellectual property too. ;)

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
Capt Underpants said:
My friends and I share CDs all the time. It's a mutual thing, and I'm not really worried about it being "illegal" or whatever. No big deal.
no kidding...i mean who cares anymore? like another poster said

mainstreetmark said:
This just in...

"Most students grew up in the 70's think it's ok to "share" copies of tapes"
seriously, just because it's now "digital" it seems to be some sort of taboo high crime. get over it.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
>GodBless

Just think of the BSA as the IRS of the software world, especially since their "audit" teams consist of using the same tactics by sending in US Marshalls, FBI, and/or local cops during their initial meet and greet to secure the computers for the audit.

They may go a bit further than the IRS since sometimes the BSA's law enforcement agents may come in with full riot gear firing tear gas for the piracy raids.

Scouts don't do that. :p

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It is problematic.... :( I wonder if fair use traditions get involved, because they come up a lot in universities. For instance, there *are* a lot of copyrighted print materials which are appropriately and legally photocopied and distributed under fair use within a University setting. And so I wonder if that creates confusion, subconscious or conscious, in academics' minds....

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
Ach, this is nothing new. When I was a student, a long time ago, we swapped tapes of our "LPs" (big black discs that music used to come on - they were played on "record players") all the time. We would end up buying our own copies, if we liked the music, or taped over them if we didn't.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
GodBless said:
It is better to be right than it is to be popular. Please students, respect intellectual property.
For me at least its not to be popular its to be nice to your friends. Just think about how akward of a conversation you would have between firends.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
ham_man said:
So is me copying my brother's CD onto my computer wrong? :confused:
Thats a good point,morally i believe its acceptable but i don't know what the law says. I believe it is fine though as its a household, like buying a dvd and letting your brother view it. Just because its being ripped on median shouldn't mean it's a different law, it's just the new age.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I'm 14 years old. I used to download songs "illegally" on Windows (wonder why?). One song usually took at least 2 hours. Now using iTunes, it takes about 15-20 minutes. I used to always get my music from my sister because she was at college and a) had all her friends copy CDs for her and b) she had a broadband connection. They took forever to download on a dial-up connection. When I was 13 my mom bought an iTunes card and from then on, I just download songs using iTunes. I've converted my sister, a former WMP freak to use iTunes. She also just got an iPod so I'd say. I'd say to the college students. Since then, Rhapsody and other competitors have caught my eye, but they've never been as easy to use as iTunes. I've been quite happy with the iTMS and I'll probably never touch a P2P again.

scubabeano

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2005
London
ummm... doesn't everyone swap music with their buddies?
I find it hard to feel sorry for music companies who charge more than 15 GBP for an ickle CD. They've been ripping us off for years, this is just karma... :D

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
The thing that annoys me most is the industry trying to brainwash us into thinking that "copying = stealing".

It's not the same thing. If someones steals something from you, that means you don't have it anymore. Copying makes a copy of something you have, you don't lose it because someone copies it.

I do agree that it's similar, as far as ethics goes (both morally wrong), but to put copying and stealing on the same level, especially for laws, is wrong.

The only ones really stealing artists are other artists that make extremely similar songs that sound like one from another artist. Or you could also see the RIAA as stealing the revenues of the artists that sign up with them.

In any case, copying is not stealing, RIAA/MPAA/etc. Stop trying to push this concept on us, people aren't that stupid. Copyrights were never created to give decades after decades of protection, either. They were meant to protect the artists, but also so the art would go into public domain after a certain time.

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Sorry, but the record companies aren't going to lose any money by me listening to some music.

This is how it works:

*I can't afford to pay for every single piece of music I'd like to.
*Some of my friends have some music I don't have
*I listen to this music I don't have and enjoy it - thus discovering a new band
*I then go out and buy their latest album all excitedly!

Basically, the music companies problem make MORE money this way than if I rigidly stuck to the music that I know. This is how we all learn about new music.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
hob said:
Sorry, but the record companies aren't going to lose any money by me listening to some music.

This is how it works:

*I can't afford to pay for every single piece of music I'd like to.
*Some of my friends have some music I don't have
*I listen to this music I don't have and enjoy it - thus discovering a new band
*I then go out and buy their latest album all excitedly!

Basically, the music companies problem make MORE money this way than if I rigidly stuck to the music that I know. This is how we all learn about new music.
My brother gave me a taste of Dylan and at last count I have over 20 albums of his, all legal, accumulated over 2 years...