Mother found an iphone 4s Verizon.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jerrahh, Apr 4, 2012.

1. jerrahh macrumors regular

she has informed me that when she was walkng at the beach she found an iphone 4s for verizon, but its locked she said its been 3 weeks now and no one has called it or txted it. im guess they thought its gone and just cancelled service. she cant get it unlocked cause she doesnt know the password obvi. i told her about DFU mode we are gonna wait longer but if nothing she wants to know if she can use on At&T i said prob not. is there anyway possible to make it work on AT&T i know its a world phone and has both.

2. drkryn macrumors member

Couldn't she just call Verizon customer service and give them the MEID # to the phone and they could look up who actually owned it and contact them?

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

4. jerrahh thread starter macrumors regular

i dont live close to her but she had no idea how to turn it off or on to lol if its locked how can she find this number. she has like a flip phone she knows nothing about tech.

5. MTI macrumors 65816

She's had someone's lost phone for nearly a month? What's her explanation for not turning it into a Verizon office? :rolleyes:

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

+1. It's not hers to keep for a month. Why didn't she just bring it to Verizon? They can easily find out whose it is.

7. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

Yeah right, better hope she dont start chain snatching next

8. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

9. jerrahh thread starter macrumors regular

/shrug its not me so whatever. idk i cant make her do anything it looks like she no has an expensive ipod, she also said theres this alarm that keeps going off that says " wake up its pimpin' time" i found that kinda funny.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Carriers in the USA don't assist in returning lost or stolen phones to their rightful owner. I'd say it's greed, knowing the owner will have to use their insurance (if they have it) or just buy a replacement. It's the same desire as Apple to maximize corporate profits.

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

So now it seems she's assumed ownership. Nice. :cool:

12. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

+ 1. I always laugh when I see the posts like these and the OP's get hammered for not making a Sherlock Holmes attempt to return the phone.

99% of the stores you return it to will either:
    A. Throw it in a lost and found bin until the end of time
    B. An employee will take it home.

They have better things to do than assist with careless people who cannot hold onto their belongings.

13. jerrahh thread starter macrumors regular

well not yet lol. it still plugged in and locked. one day ill come there to visit if she has it ill dfu it and restore i guess.

14. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

And then what.. CDMA phones can [ are ] be blocked by the carrier [ Sprint and VZW in the US ] if the owner reports it stolen or lost, unlike GSM [ at least in the US. In Europe, carriers can Blacklist GSM devices too ]

Then, it's just a thick iPod!

It should've been turned in to any Verizon Corp. store. Good karma goes a long way!!

15. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

that sounds kinda sketchy
    Are you sure she is telling you the whole story

16. jerrahh thread starter macrumors regular

yes i was on the phone with her what the alarm was going off she was asking me how to turn it off. then she said why does it say that it says about pimpin i laughed and said no idea.

17. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

Some people put items out in public to get an arrest like a bait car or bait phone

18. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

This is absolutely not true.

My daughter lost her Verizon phone at school, and it was tuned into the carrier, who contacted me (the account holder) and informed us she could reclaim her phone at the local office.

The phone was locked. They had to restore it before they could contact us. They definitely went out of their way to return the phone.

The student who found it did not even leave their name so we could thank them.

19. cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

Its a 4S, so if Siri can be used from the lock screen try holding down the button until that pops up and try "call my wife" or "call mom"

Or a few combinations thereof.

Unless service was terminated, it might yield a result

20. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

At first I would think this wouldn't work, as you should only be able to make emergency calls when locked... But damn, I just tried it on my 4S, and Siri called my wife. This shouldn't be possible. Siri shouldn't have access to my locked contact info.

Edit: just asked Siri "where do I live" on my locked phone, and she gave me my home AND work address. What's the deal with that?

21. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Do the right thing and just hand it into the authorities !

22. siurpeeman, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

or just "call home." i second this suggestion.

settings --> general --> passcode lock --> siri --> off

it's on by default.

23. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

Thanks for the info, but too bad it's an all-or-nothing setting. I wish she could be limited to non-confidential information lookups.

Oh well, she has been silenced on my lock screen now. ;-)

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

Good for your mother. Give it back... how? Figure it out but do the right thing.

25. csi2001 macrumors newbie

special circumstances

I understand that he should have his mom give the phone to verizon but what if like in my wifes situation: she found an iphone at a bus stop and immediatley called numbers on the phone and texted people on the phone and finally got a hold of the person who owned it and not once but twice set up a date to pick it up from us and never showed up for it. After the 2nd attmptd to meet the guy we never recieved another email from him?
    Like what do you do when you try ti give it back and he dont want it?:confused: