Mother Uses Mike Pence's Religious Liberty Law- OK to Beat My Kids

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Sep 1, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Our Sharia law is better than your Sharia law.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/indiana-woman-cites-religious-freedom-law-abuse-defense-41767033

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Noting the passage of decades, perhaps spankings will reintroduce some civility, ethics, and morals back into children.

Then again, many of the boomers running the show were probably spanked as kids and are as uncivil and unethical as they come, while many who were not spanked are outstanding examples of good humanity. I can't make a call, insufficient data - and as new data comes in I, as with most or all people, reserve the same unspoken right to update my opinion accordingly as opposed to being slave to it.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

"Marion County Deputy Prosecutor Matt Savage said in an Aug. 5 response that the boy's beating went "beyond these religious instructions" and said Indiana's compelling interest in preventing child abuse outweighs religious protections in state law."

Good god, now we're down the rabbit hole of interpreting fairy tales rather than just arguing that she's beating her child.

I was kicked in the ass once as a kid, mostly just yelled at instead. I'll never understand the concept that you need to use physical force to "raise your kid right". That's beyond lazy, it's destructive.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Well, the people in this story doing the beating are adults who believe in fairy tales, so clearly the brain power is not all there. It shouldn't be surprised they take the lazy meat headed way out.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Spankings tend to teach kids to be sneaky so they can avoid them. Prisons are full of people who were spanked.

6. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Remember when gay marriage has that slippery slope where we'd all be marrying our donkeys, relatives and kitchen appliances? Seems the slope was misplaced and has now been taken up by the fairy tale believers.

7. tgara, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I think that's mostly right. But, putting religion aside for the moment, some physical discipline can be useful, whether it be manual work or a spanking. I think the line is drawn when that physical discipline crosses over to abusive. On one side, the state should have little interest and let parents discipline the child as they see fit; on the other, it should have a greater interest when the discipline becomes abusive. Once you cross the line into abuse, citing religious freedoms or religious doctrine as justification should not protect you. That's not what religious freedom laws are about, so I hope this woman loses. And I says this as someone who supports religious freedom laws.

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Yeah, only the spanked go to jail. :rolleyes:

But what you describe has more to do with uncivilized sociopaths with no respect or consideration for anyone else as they grow up.

Since most gays do say "marriage is outdated", and did while pushing for "marriage equality" and "love conquers hate"* your parallel is just as inconclusive. All we know is, not many have actually made use of the new freedom to legally marry, with many still saying it is an outdated concept - and interesting irony aside another irony, but those who say it's outdated use a non-sequitur to justify it ("accorded first class citizens", which wouldn't change if we received every entitlement in the known universe)...

BTW, somebody recently tried to have sex with a van and got arrested. Being drunk probably didn't help, since it's usually illegal drugs that warp the mind sufficiently to think a van suddenly looks like Raquel Welch...

* all while overlooking how much hate the gay community bestows upon its own toward those who don't look or act a certain way or if they have HIV or not... it's all a bit sad, really.

Here's the problem - religions, right or wrong, also tell on how to be kind to one another. Atheism has told us "there is no god", "fairy tales" and with a fair amount of credible reasoning, certainly, but has it said anything about being kind to one another or any other form of civility? Not that I'm aware of. They're too busy denouncing gods and goddesses to care about anyone else here in real life? But that truly is a total generation, so I know there are some out there who remind us of civility. It's just harder to find compared to the religious texts that are more direct about it.

9. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I agree. You can instruct and redirect your kids without hitting them. I spanked our daughter once in her whole 17 years. In an act of defiance after being scolded for something I can't even remember she announced "What are you going to do? It's not like you can spank me.". So I gave her a light spank to show we that yes, we can spank her. "That didn't hurt at all" she said. Ugh, children.

My wife did it once as well, our daughter was acting out big time in Target and announced "It's not like you can spank me. The cameras will see and you'll get in trouble". So my wife marched her right over to the nearest camera, waved at it, and gave her a quick spank. Nothing hard but enough to show her that we will not be coerced or manipulated.

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I couldn't agree more: all it does is re-inforce the view that physical violence is the way to make people do what you want them to

I have never even needed to use a raised voice with my daughter (who turns 18 in a fortnight) - When she was naughty as a youngster, we sat her down quietly and explained why what she did was wrong and what was the correct thing to do (and why).

Sure, it took a bit longer and needed a bit more patience, but I'm proud to say she's grown up into a caring, thoughtful and well-balanced young woman

11. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It takes a lot more work and time to raise a kid right. The lazy way is to just hit them until they submit.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

There are good atheists and bad ones. Just like good religious people and bad ones. Most aren't too busy denouncing gods. That's just silly. The thing I always think of when someone brings up the point that you did is this: atheists who do good and not evil do so because its just the right thing to do. Not because they believe they will be rewarded for a good life or punished for a bad one.

13. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I'd bet you're wrong. Prisons are full of people who didn't have fathers in their lives.

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes only like around 80% of them were spanked or had corporal punishment. and the uncivilized sociopaths is pretty lame.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

How does that compare to the regular US population though? What percent of the "civilized" world have had corporal punishment?

Generally the psychologist reccomendation is not to spank your kid. I think that's fair advice, though I'm not a parent.

16. MarkusL macrumors 6502

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think you mean prisons are filled with people getting spanked, by bubba.

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It takes creativity to raise a kid. When I discipline, I hit them where it hurts. I've swapped out my daughter's fancy smartphone for an old flip phone (pre-RAZR old:p). I have deleted my son's saved games (bye-bye dual class Mage/Thief and some snazzy quest items). I've picked them up from school my rattiest bath robe and holding a poster with their names on it.:D:D:D Now the threat disabling their WiFi is enough to keep 'em in line. Being a good dad means you gotta be EVIL.:p

19. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Did I miss something? I see where the defense was raised, but nothing about it actually holding up. When charged you are going to claim every possible defense. Whether it holds up is the test.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just make sure your kids are not deranged or they will kill you in your sleep.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This.

This is a good modern parent. Never underestimate the power of embarrassment with teens.