Motion Newb — Slideshow Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by citizenzen, Jan 2, 2014.

1. citizenzen, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Greetings.

I work in a university marketing department and create slideshows for a variety of presentations.

I've just bought Motion in the hope that it will be a step up from iMovie. I have experience with Flash, so I'm somewhat familiar with timelines and keyframes, and over 20 years of experience in print design.

I'm looking for advice for a "best practices" solution for making slideshows. I'm looking to a slideshow of approximately 300 photos that transition every 5 seconds.

Is this something that is best accomplished with a plug-in such as FxFactory's Photo Montage? Or is there another product that you recommend? I'd prefer not to spend $200, but it's not out of the picture. Or is this something to simply do myself?

Sorry for the newness. Your knowledge is appreciated.

Edit: I've also seen a slideshow product from for $20 from http://videohive.net/item/photo-slideshow/5537947

Any feedback on either product or recommendations is appreciated.

2. pinholestars macrumors member

pinholestars

I'd say if you like the $20 template, go for it. Looks like it's just a Motion project, so you'd need to be familiar enough with Motion to add your own pictures. You could set something up yourself for free, but you'd have to decide what you want the photos to do, and then actually animate them. So buying a template may be well worth your time, depending on your knowledge of Motion.

My guess, based on your past experience, is this would be quite helpful for you. You could reverse engineer it to learn the ins and outs of Motion, then create your own custom ones from then on out :)

3. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

It was only later that I saw it was limited to 50 photos.

I have at least four times that number of photos.

Perhaps $20 is worth a reverse engineering lesson.

Perhaps.

4. pinholestars macrumors member

pinholestars

If the number is a limitation, you could either group everything in the Motion project, then extend the project duration and duplicate the group however many times you needed to, or the other option would be rendering out each section of 50 photos until you've used all of your photos and then edit them together as one long video in iMovie, Final Cut, or even Motion if need be.

5. Fiddledust macrumors newbie

not limited to 50

"It was only later that I saw it was limited to 50 photos."

The video that comes with the template shows you how to add or subtract the number of photos.