Motivational problem at work, lack of ambition: Don't know how to change

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Misskitty, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Misskitty, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Did you negotiate this at all? Specifically, was it decided for you that YOU would be one of the people moving to the new office? Did you speak very plainly to them about how you took the job in part to have a shorter commute? Assuming that didn't work, did you negotiate a pay increase or travel allowance in exchange for the longer commute? It would be entirely reasonable for you to ask for that.

In my experience, I would just as eagerly guarantee that you wouldn't. I've seen this happen. Money doesn't make someone more eager to do their job, only a passion for the job can do that. Otherwise, you work just hard enough not to get fired.

Asking for an increase of $5 more an hour is substantial (about $10k a year, assuming full-time employment). Have you done something to justify this increase? If so, maybe it's time to meet with your employer and ask for a raise. Again, it's not unreasonable to do that, it's how the world of employment works. But it's a virtual certainty that you would have to show what you've done to merit such a huge wage increase.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Are you complaining about the same job as in this thread?

I agree with Tomorrow's advice. Figure out why you are worth more to your employers and then meet with them about it.

4. Misskitty, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So, they should just give a big raise to an unmotivated employee?:rolleyes:

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Money drives many of us; I don't doubt you feel the same way. But you say you have "passion" for the job, but I think you and I are talking about different things:

These are not statements that are consistent with what *I* would call "passion." Don't confuse passion with "qualifications" or "ability."

I agree that an employer gets what he pays for, but an employee gets what he/she is worth. I know what it's like to feel like you're worth more money than you're getting, but the key is to make your employer feel like you're worth more money. And right now, it doesn't sound like you're doing that, based on your posts.

7. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

OP is entitled to a raise, dammit! Who are you right wing extremist homegrown terrorists to say otherwise?