Moto G '2013' (3G, XT1032) vs Moto G '2014' (3G, XT1068)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Moto G, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Moto G, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

Moto G macrumors 6502a

Hello folks.

~~~ Polite request: Please ONLY respond if you have owned/do own both, and have had more than a fleeting experience with them. I can walk into a shop myself, for a cursory glance - I am seeking informed experience-based opinions from owners. Many thanks ~~~

I've lovingly looked after a 2013 model Moto G since March (I'm sure if I'd have said nothing, you'd never have guessed :p). I am strongly considering selling my current Moto G and Lumia 630, and buying the newer 5" (2014, 'XT1068') model with the proceeds. It is a stalwart phone, which I just use and don't ever need to tax my brain over, as it does what it was intended to do, aids me hugely, and doesn't get in my way - it is, as good products are - transparent to my life. :)

If anyone here has owned the 2013 Moto G, and/or the newer 5" model, would you mind airing your observations and what you have noticed to be marked improvements. Are there any REAL issues (not merely internet hearsay FUD) that I should be aware of? Would you post sample images if you are able to (full res, if possible) and any other pertinent information which you feel I will find beneficial in my decision?

Thank you all so much, take it easy :)

Matt.

2. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Do you need a bigger screen? Or a better camera? then maybe it is worth it.

But the 2014 G and the 2013 G are pretty much the same internals wise. Same Ram, Same CPU, same GPU...etc

3. Moto G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, talking to me now? ;) (only joking, no hard feelings - seriously).

Yes, I need bigger screen and better camera.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Another important question is LTE. Do you need that? Timely thread b.c I suggested the moto G to my sister. She is on the fence between the 2 mainly b.c of LTE

5. Moto G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, non LTE is a non issue for me, as I am perfectly content with 3G. Thanks for replying :)

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Based on everything you have said the 2014 sounds like a no-brainer.

Side note: it is insane how cheap this phone is. Also, you can get a 2013 moto x for $229 if that is in your price range.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/191358587492?_mwBanner=1

7. Moto G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, I agree - it's a no brainer, exactly the same as it was when I bought my existing one for £110 and paid £1.80 to unlock it. This phone is a marvel of budget excellence. As for Moto X? Meh - I see no reason, or discernable "upgrade" value in it. I also prefer IPS, so that's another reason. Too much above the "bargain" price, and the bargain lessens, somewhat.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Does the moto g have all of the added features from the x: active display, hands free commands? I thought they were slightly different in thst area.

9. Moto G thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've no need for all those; I have no idea. I can do "OK Google" using my existing Moto G, and the rest is just gimmicks to me, and not worth more.

10. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

they don't. that's why they are 70% cheaper than a Moto X.