Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The Register details the upcoming PPC 7457 from Motorola which is reported to ship in Q4 2003.

The 7457 was announced in February, 2003 and according to The Register, is "essentially a die-shrink of the current 7455 (aka 'Apollo 6') as Motorola moves from a 0.18 micron to a 0.13 micron process".

The new processor is said to support a 200MHz system bus and larger L2 cache. While the processor is targeted at embedded markets, The Register speculates that faster versions of the chip may make their way into consumer Macs.

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
I like the idea of Apple having more options, but they are only really options if Motorola can deliver on time. I'm afraid of counting on them only to have things get pushed back or fall through completely.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Yay!

I've said it before, now there's proof that it could be a reality at last.

Standardise on PC3200 (DDR400) across the whole mac range!

It could actually lower the cost of a lot of models by the sheer volume of RAM apple would need to buy. It would make it easier for people to buy RAM, either get the laptop or desktop version of PC3200.

the 7457 could be used in the powerbook, emac and iMac. A system controller similar to the current one in the powerbook bumped up to 400Mhz would be perfect.

Whether the powermac and/or xserve end up using the PPC970 or the 7457, it will be using either PC3200 or dual channel PC3200.

krube73

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2002
Sinking Spring, PA
whooppee, a 200 Mhz FSB. C'mon Moto, my toaster runs at 200 Mhz! get with the program bozos. You can only tout Velocity Engine and AltiVec for so long. Sure it helps, but so does blinding speed in the 2Ghz+ range.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Available Q4 2003 rules that chip out of any Apple machines coming out before October.

Which lends credence to even the PowerBooks being upgraded to use 970's.

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Re: Motorola 7457 in Q4 2003

Originally posted by Macrumors

....The Register speculates that faster versions of the chip may make their way into consumer Macs.

"Consumer Macs"... i.e. iMac, iBook.
That'll be OK, assuming we'll be getting tha 970 in PowerMacs :rolleyes:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Looks like there is a possiblity that the top PowerMac may end up with the XC7457, DDR400 memory, 200MHz FSB, and possibly USB2 this round of speed bumps.

Whether it's 1.75 or 1.5 GHz 7457s PowerMacs sporting a modified case, it's not what people are expecting.

---

And the only reason I'm saying this is the 7455 Rev 3.3s made it into the top PowerMac 1.42, and it's just hitting volume production shipments this month for everyone else.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Motorola dropped the ball, and the other team scored. Then they took a nap while still on the field. I dont think apple needs motorola as a cpu maker. IBM can make all the chips apple needs and wont be sitting on their laurels as motorola did. I think these new chips which are really just slightly increased g4's will be in my next toaster, maybe phone or car but not in the next Mac I buy.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Maybe the iMac will move to this "new" G4, but once the Powermac has a 980 under its hood, I think the iMac 970 is a sure thing. But that does leave time for another G4 iMac revision later this year, as the 980 isn't expected in early next year.

I doubt the iBook will ever have a G4 in it. I suspect we'll see it adopt a GOBI chip manufactured by IBM in the coming months.

What's interesting is that this still fits with MacWhispers prediction that Apple will operate on IBM chips exclusively by next Spring (at the earliest).

To hell with the G5, let's see 970s! :D

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Premature especulation?

Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Motorola dropped the ball, and the other team scored.
Aren't you worried about "counting your chickens before they've hatched"?

I haven't seen or heard of any actual PPC970 chips, and my IBM salesman is saying that the PPC970 in IBM's own blades won't be available until very late cyQ3 or cyQ4 !!!

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by groovebuster
Good morning Motorola....

What? No, it's OK! You didn't miss anything, just go to bed again! :D

groovebuster
Yeah, I wonder if Moto will actually be shocked when Apple announces its move to IBM...

The Mac development department doesn't work on Macs anymore, and the G5 doesn't actually exist. I'd say those are signs that they know, if they weren't things that happened about a year ago...

It's more like Motorola has stopped trying and doesn't care...

Tux Kapono

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2003
Motorola = $599 G4 Machines

Whenever I read anything about Motorola anymore - I slot it right into Apple's market share-growing $599 G4s. Apple's $ future is in software, so market share is key. Thanks Motorola, for inspiring the $599 PMac and allowing a smooth transition to the more professional IBM line.

soggywulf

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
400 Mhz. Q4 2003. LMAO. What rubbish.

Honestly...at this stage we need 1.6 gig 970s with 800 mhz FSB in imacs and emacs, just to keep up with PCs. And we need it today. 400 mhz bus at the end of the year?? No thanks.

Some competition would be nice... But hopefully IBM won't need competition from motorola to keep them on their toes (ala Intel vs AMD), due to the fact that they will be using the 970 and other derivatives themselves.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by AidenShaw

I haven't seen or heard of any actual PPC970 chips, and my IBM salesman is saying that the PPC970 in IBM's own blades won't be available until very late cyQ3 or cyQ4 !!!
What do the salespeople know, anyway? Besides, there could be dozens of reasons that IBM doesn't have 970 Blades ready quite yet.

You also have to consider the fact that any person at IBM who knows about any plans with Apple is most definitely under some kind of Apple Legal "Pain of Death" Non-Disclosure Agreement.

All signs point to 970s at WWDC. And I didn't need to count any poultry to figure that out! :p

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Re: Premature especulation?

IBM's fishkill plant is allready pumping 970's out.they didnt build the new plant just to sit on chips for 6 months. No you will be hearing about the new 64 bit O.S and the computer that will run it in a few weeks. also how you going to run a 64 bit system on a old 32 bit g4? answer -you wont because you will need a chip that is built for it such as the 970.

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH

Does this mean that 970's won't be ready sooner? Maybe there are other issues with IBM's servers that prevent them from being ready earlier, not the 970's. Or couldn't it be that Apple is getting the 970's first, preventing IBM from using them sooner. I don't know why this would happen, but coudn't it?

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Sounds ok for the iBook if the Gobi doesn't happen.

Or it could end up being just another G4 revision, and the 970 is not coming to Apple. Who knows.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Re: Re: Premature especulation?

Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
IBM's fishkill plant is allready pumping 970's out.they didnt build the new plant just to sit on chips for 6 months. No you will be hearing about the new 64 bit O.S and the computer that will run it in a few weeks. also how you going to run a 64 bit system on a old 32 bit g4? answer -you wont because you will need a chip that is built for it such as the 970.
64bit OS X supposedly runs on 32bit hardware natively. If not, Apple shouldn't be calling it 10.3 It would be OS XI. And then you are once again dealing with 2 different branches to update. That would be stupid. Guess I can't rule it out! ;)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I really think the 970 was apple's baby. I think a year ago apple engineers and IBM were allready working on all of this. Apple was getting screwed by motorola, Steve new this and set things into action. The 970 wasnt given altivec for nothing. It was put there for 1 customer and that being apple. If you look at all the deals right now on a lot of powermac stuff you will see they are clearing the channels for whats to come. Steve will be making some major announcements soon. I had thought a sept 970 release but am pretty convinced from many rumors and many facts that the 970 production fired up smoother then motorola ever had with the g4. Now iam looking for a late june or early july release. Heck IBM was all ready talking about 2.3 ghz for the new chip. So these things are showing more advancement in the begining of production then motorola ever had in 3 yrs????

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
signs, what signs?

Originally posted by pyrotoaster
You also have to consider the fact that any person at IBM who knows about any plans with Apple is most definitely under some kind of Apple Legal "Pain of Death" Non-Disclosure Agreement.
What does it have to do with Apple?

We're talking about IBM putting announced IBM chips into announced IBM products. My salesman is giving me non-disclosure info on IBM systems to be announced in the next 12 months. Want to know the first order date for a POWER5 system? Want to know the next speed bump for POWER4+, or the new system that will get the dual-core POWER4+? He's telling me all that and more.

If IBM isn't going to be using 970 chips for quite a few months, I have to entertain the possibility that maybe the chips aren't yet ready.

All these "64-bit signs" basically point back to MacB's stories, anyway....

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Why the better price per CPU?

According to the Register article Motorola will offer these new CPUs at less than half the price of the current models. I wonder if all the rumors about the IBM 970s were used by Apple to re-negotiate prices with Motorola. Hard to tell right now but hopefully some insider will spill the beans to one of these rumor sites.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Re: signs, what signs?

We're talking about IBM putting announced IBM chips into announced IBM products. My salesman is giving me non-disclosure info on IBM systems to be announced in the next 12 months. Want to know the first order date for a POWER5 system? Want to know the next speed bump for POWER4+, or the new system that will get the dual-core POWER4+? He's telling me all that and more.

If IBM isn't going to be using 970 chips for quite a few months, I have to entertain the possibility that maybe the chips aren't yet ready.

or you are getting fed crap from this salesman. so lets see the 970 is in production but ibm isnt going to use it for months??? then who are these chips for???IbM didnt build fish kill to stand on inventory and chips. they built it to produce and sell chips.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ

Well, the 970 does currently exist... dispite any of us having empirical evidence (hands-on). I'm sure that IBM is not allowed to hog any 970's for use in their own Blade servers before Apple can ship a certain quantity of machines. That would substatiate an early or mid summer release.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL

It has everything to do with Apple!

I doubt your salesperson has any knowledge of IBMs actual plans with the 970. Apple gets it first. Why? Because Apple needs it. Then again, maybe your salesperson knows a whole lot, but can't say a thing (those NDAs usually convince people to shut up).

Fishkill's been up and running for a reason. They're producing 970s for Apple. IBM doesn't need the 970 now. They've got their POWER4s and POWER5s. Hell, maybe Apple has IBM waiting until the 980 is ready for Powermacs before Big Blue's servers are going to get to use 970s (just thinking aloud there).

What matters is that the 970 is ready for Apple. The reason IBM isn't ready with their servers could be as simple as they haven't started building the motherboards yet, or they haven't finalized the exterior design.

The bottom line: Apple & 970 @ WWDC.

BTW, am I the only person who thinks the name "Fishkill" is kinda funny? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.